Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
siulayhumga
Connoisseur
siulayhumga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Major update of the Sony S/W with new model?

Anyone know is Sony planing to do a MAJOR update on that most "UNIQUE" elibrary software?
siulayhumga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The software is being updated to support Macs. I know this is considered a major update to quite a few users . Not sure what else will be added though.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
siulayhumga
Connoisseur

Looking more in the line of making that piece of "unique" s/w actually usable. I really hope they fix it soon or at least open source it.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Killian
Enthusiast
Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
They ought to just scrap it and pay for kovid's Calibre or put their full force behind delivering something even better. The Sony software itself it rubbish and, as they say (who are they? I do not know), you can polish a turd but it's still a piece of shit!
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to disagree with all of you. eBook Library has one flaw and that is auto-sync. Everything else works very well. And since it works very well, it's not rubbish. eBook Library also prepaginates your LRF/LRX eBooks so your reader does not have to do it for you.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Killian
Enthusiast
Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Everyone's entitled to their opinion I'm a big fan of Calibre; use epub so don't have to worry about it paginating and whatnot. Autosync isn't up my alley either as I'd rather just add stuff as and when I want.

Used the Sony software for a while but just no where near as intuitive or user friendly as I find Calibre. Plus; tend to have it plugged in every other day so battery is really not an issue.
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Personally, I used both Calibre and the Sony Software (just make sure not to use them at the same time)!

There certainly is room for improvement with the Sony Software--one very nice feature that they should add is the ability to edit the meta data on your books. I really don't understand why I can't change the title/author from within the library software if I want to. Also, the Sony software runs slowly on my computers. Admittedly, my computers are the latest/greatest, but it takes quite a while when I'm doing something as simple as re-ordering books when I drag them within my collections.

If only Sony had someone on their staff that responds to problems as quickly as Kovid does, I'm sure the Sony software would be awesome!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm quite happy with the Sony software myself. I don't need much.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #9
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I agree that the Sony software is good and useful. I don't use anything else, and I won't use anything else. I like the bookstore as well. I've never had a problem with the software other than one book that didn't want to copy to my reader. That eventually fixed itself. One book out of almost 600 isn't bad.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'm happy with the Sony software. The Collections are very easy to use. Calibre is a fine piece of software but I find the UI a little too different and I like categorizing books via drag & drop.

My only gripe about the Sony software is that I can't turn off auto-sync when I'm just moving books around.

Last edited by doreenjoy; 08-06-2009 at 02:25 AM.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:25 AM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
My guess would be:
1) support for EPUB files in the shop
2) support for bying and viewing dictionaries
3) export (and maybe synchronize) notes and annotations
3) support for other countries/languages?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:11 AM   #12
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
The software is being updated to support Macs. I know this is considered a major update to quite a few users . Not sure what else will be added though.

dordale
Mac Support! At last

As for other issues, I'm quite happy with the software, even if support for ePub files would be a welcome change- it would bypass the hassle of having two softwares for the same hardware, i.e. Sony + Digital Editions.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to disagree with all of you. eBook Library has one flaw and that is auto-sync. Everything else works very well. And since it works very well, it's not rubbish. eBook Library also prepaginates your LRF/LRX eBooks so your reader does not have to do it for you.
Low expectations at work?

I find both eBook Library and Calibre to be shoddy and over-engineered solutions to what seem to be fairly simple problems (i.e.: ebook management and transfer).

Sony's "Collections" functionality is actually far better than folders (basically being the same thing as GMail's labels as far as I can tell), but to date there exists no software to allow one to easily utilize it to its full potential.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
siulayhumga
Connoisseur

really what I want to see in the new S/W are:
1. A native way for people to convert and create their own LRF file.
2. Build in editor for all meta data.

Nice to have:
1. native support to epub
2. Some kind of tagging and books grouping function
Old 08-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Low expectations at work?

I find both eBook Library and Calibre to be shoddy and over-engineered solutions to what seem to be fairly simple problems (i.e.: ebook management and transfer).

Sony's "Collections" functionality is actually far better than folders (basically being the same thing as GMail's labels as far as I can tell), but to date there exists no software to allow one to easily utilize it to its full potential.

- Ahi
Cue triumphal music as another armchair software developer offers his supremely informed opinion on something he obviously knows so much about.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote