Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
Question Collections on Readers

I presently have two Sony readers, I keep about 2000 books on the readers and find the sony collections vital to keep track of all the books. I usually put them in author collections so I can find a book by author then title within the collection. I have also occasionally put in collections by book content.

What I want to know is which other readers support collections as my wife wants a reader and is jibing at Sony prices. However she does not want to wade through books by title to find one to read.

As an aside I use Calibre to set up and transfer the collections, all my books are DRM free so format conversion is not an issue

Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
They all have some way of organising books to some extent, models like the Cybook Opus, Onyx Book i62HD and Pocketbook readers you can use folders to organise your books like you do with files on your PC, but most of the 'main' e-readers easily available in the UK all use tags from the metadata to sort your books into some sort of collections.

I *think* the Sony readers are generally considered best for organising collections (mainly because they are automatically sorted into collections based on your ebooks metadata, although if you have any books with loads of genres attributed to it in the metadata it can give you loads of different collections - at least that's my experience with my PRS350. I find it both good and bad!).

However, both the Kobo Touch/Glo (shelves) and the Kindle/Kindle PW (collections) work in a similar way. I don't know much about the Kobo other than that it was added as a firmware update at some point, and wasn't initially available on the older Kobo Touch. With the Kindle, you have to register it to activate the collections, but although it doesn't automatically sort your books into collections like the Sony, it's pretty simple to use. Also, if you use Calibre you can utilise a Calibre plugboard to improve the sorting of books into series for example. The Nook I'm not so sure about, I *think* it has the weakest ability in regards collections just going by the few things I've read about it.

So the short answer is, they all support some way of organising your books.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Just the Kindle e-ink readers have collections, to be clear. Most of the apps don't, and the Fire doesn't
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Right, never thought of that, I never think of the Kindle Fire as a reader!

Incidentally, if your wife isn't too keen on the Sony because of the price, but you'd prefer to stick with what you know, what about a refurbished one? I just noticed that the Sony Outlet store has some refurbished T1s & T2s for £80-£84. Better be quick though, they've already sold out of a few of them.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote