Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #16
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
thanks for the responses

i wonder if there is a cultural aspect to it as well. My family always comments on the occasional baby with iPad/tablet/iThingy whenever we go out, and their comments almost always lean towards criticism for the mother/nanny/caretaker. I admit, I live in a society where while we have nannies and maids (common because of inexpensive labor), mothers are also expected to take part in the care of their children and still manage a day job; no wonder women here aren't getting married until they're in their 30s.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i wonder if there is a cultural aspect to it as well. My family always comments on the occasional baby with iPad/tablet/iThingy whenever we go out, and their comments almost always lean towards criticism for the mother/nanny/caretaker.
I'm guessing, from what you say, that the fathers aren't copping this bystander judgement? Sheesh. Children get impatient and grumpy in public - mothers get sneered at. Children are happily occupied - mothers get sneered at.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #18
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm guessing, from what you say, that the fathers aren't copping this bystander judgement? Sheesh. Children get impatient and grumpy in public - mothers get sneered at. Children are happily occupied - mothers get sneered at.
i know the feeling. i may never get married if mothers always get the short end of the stick. sheesh. i would think raising the next generation of brats is important enough

anyway, it's not so bad now, now that some fathers here are becoming "house-husbands", but other people now sneer at them and call them lazy. another side-insult to the regular housewife.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #19
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
My grand children all love the Ipad . Their parents have a lot of educational apps on them . Its very responsive and child friendly . All my grandchildren live in the Middle East and it seems to be very common for children to have them there. In some of the Private schools in Saudi Arabia they are in use .

Another Point is that Apparently children who suffer from autism find them very good according to some research recently done.

Last edited by sunnysmiles; 08-12-2012 at 04:06 AM.
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #20
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post

Another Point is that Apparently children who suffer from autism find them very good according to some research recently done.
that's great! i love technology being used for educational advancements and to help kids with special needs

*sigh* i do think my city needs to catch up a bit more. asian societies are not as kind as some western societies.
Advert
Old 08-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Back in the olden days before Dell and Gateway, I use to take along my 2 year old when I was demonstrating this new fangled thing called a "computer." Adults were intimidated by teenagers using and showing the gadget, but no one was intimidated by a 2 year old. When he was about ten, he discovered "chat" and within minutes someone used the F word. As I stood there wondering what to do, he simply blocked them, something I vaguely knew was possible.
Let your kids use these devices at an early age, but kick them off after a bit and send them outside to play. Don't let them access sites that allow them to run up a bill. Until they are teenagers, insist on having access to their social media accounts, and after that, warn them they these accounts might be subject to supervision, if they show any signs of personal distress. We live in a time of rapidly changing technology. Don't cause your kids to fall behind.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
Back in the olden days before Dell and Gateway, I use to take along my 2 year old when I was demonstrating this new fangled thing called a "computer." Adults were intimidated by teenagers using and showing the gadget, but no one was intimidated by a 2 year old. When he was about ten, he discovered "chat" and within minutes someone used the F word. As I stood there wondering what to do, he simply blocked them, something I vaguely knew was possible.
Let your kids use these devices at an early age, but kick them off after a bit and send them outside to play. Don't let them access sites that allow them to run up a bill. Until they are teenagers, insist on having access to their social media accounts, and after that, warn them they these accounts might be subject to supervision, if they show any signs of personal distress. We live in a time of rapidly changing technology. Don't cause your kids to fall behind.
Excellent advice
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
My kids are 6 and 4 (youngest turns 5 in a few weeks).

They had the Leapster Explorer and later a pair of Leappads. But they got tired of the simple video games after a while. They were always using my wife's iPad (or my Nook Color running CM7 before I sold it) almost more often.

We ended up buying a pair of refurb Nook Colors; I installed CM7 on them and those are their tablets.

They use them mainly for watching Netflix before bed - right now, that's mostly My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and some Blue's Clues. Sometimes they play some kids' games (they loved Cut the Rope for a while until they beat all the levels).

They are so good with touch devices, but terrible with a computer mouse, and can't operate the remote control for the TV. It's funny, kind of.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
When my daughter was old enough to sit in my lap and actually reach for things, she started using the computer. First it was games designed for toddlers to just "bang" on the keyboard and get a reaction. It did not take long to move up to the "point and click" of a mouse on higher level games. It was great... until the day she learned how to load the CD and start the game on her own and I became an irrelevant background noise. *sigh*

My niece has been doing the same thing on the ipod touch and ipad. The main difference that I can see is that there is no learning curve for moving to a disconnected pointing device such as the mouse. Everything is touch and react.

It all boils down in the end to how much the parent is supervising the use of the "tech" and how much actual educational value vs pure brain-dead entertainment is coming out of the device.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
They are so good with touch devices, but terrible with a computer mouse, and can't operate the remote control for the TV. It's funny, kind of.
Install TV remote apps on their Colors

The great thing about tablets and players (iPod touch, Galaxy Player) is the wealth of educational and entertaining apps for free or next to nothing in cost. Compare that to the content cost for dedicated gaming and children's handhelds; which borders on outrageous. My 4yo grandson has access to a tablet and a touch; and is very adept with them. Kids take to this technology and should be encouraged to use it.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #26
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
We have a few PCs in the house, 2 tablets, 2 ereaders, an ipod, various mobile phones and consoles of various types.

We have 2 kids one 9 and one 12.
All devices with connectivity to the internet are monitored and the portable devices that the kids have access to are mac address banned from the internet.

Consoles are all in the loungeroom where we can see them and no PCs, TVs etc in their rooms.
We only allow internet access in the loungeroom when we are present.

Apart from that we allow 1 hour access to each child per day to any electronic device, which includes, TV, consoles, PC, ipod, tablets etc.
I allow my kids to read ebooks on their eareaders unrestricted tho as that's the same as reading a physical book (we strongly encourage reading), but again the ereaders are mac address banned from internet access.

On weekends and holidays the access to electronic media is increased to 1.5 hours a day.

Last edited by danskmacabre; 08-13-2012 at 02:25 PM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Kids take to this technology and should be encouraged to use it.
Children are born pre-programmed to learn and experiment; born scientists and engineers. Society and educational systems bore it out of most of them. The survivors are the ones too stubborn to conform.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #28
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
My little one will also be 5 in a few weeks. Almost ever since I bought ipad 1 in 2010 he was using it a little bit (at first I was petrified he would break it, now we don't care). He has interactive books on it, magnet letters, musical instruments and all kinds of educational stuff (if I had to buy him all this as toys the house would be cluttered to the roof).

Today I showed him Star Walk first time and he loved it, asking me all kinds of questions about planets and stars (was whining a little when told his sign is Virgo and not Leo, in the end we agreed his will be Leo Minor and mama Leo Major because I'm bigger ) Anyway as was already said, I limit his time to 1 hour per day, I announce "now we will turn it off and go to the garden".

He is also unable to turn on tv remote and can't use computer mouse. But reading a real book before bed is compulsory. One thing I do NOT like is when he is colouring something on ipad with his finger. To hold a crayon is an entirely different skill and I do not encourage finger painting or writing for that matter.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
One thing I do NOT like is when he is colouring something on ipad with his finger. To hold a crayon is an entirely different skill and I do not encourage finger painting or writing for that matter.
Give him a real crayon and the iPad

Seriously though, have you considered a stylus for the coloring?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #30
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Give him a real crayon and the iPad
I'm as tech crazy as anybody this side of Japan but I'd go with the real crayon and a real coloring book. That way you end up with something you can pin on your office cubicle corkboard.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote