Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Kindle Store - Things I would like to see

I do like how aggressive Amazon has been about providing content for the kindle, but there are few little things that I think that Amazon could do to make it easier for me to buy titles. Perhaps Amazon has a way to do some of these already and I'm just missing it.

1) A wish list similar to that at Audible.com. On audible, I can browse and if I see an audible book that I'm interested in, but not ready to buy, I can put it on my wishlist with a click of a button. I can then pull up my wishlist, select one or more books and click on the send to shopping cart to buy it. I use this feature all the time.

2) When inside a category, sort by Author or Title instead of just bestselling, rated or price. I'm just use to scanning for books based on author since that's how I do it in the book store.

3) A watch list that will notify me when a desired title or author is available. The Sony store actually has this feature, though it doesn't appear to work (at least not for me). To me this seems to be a real no brainer. Send me an e-mail when Jim Butcher has a new book on the kindle. Let me know when Lord of Light or any Roger Zelazny book comes out on the kindle. To me, this seems to be a real no brainer.

4) Offer a compressed list view. Just show me the title, author and price with a link to the details. That would let me scan through the lists much more efficiently when I'm looking for specific titles and authors.

pww
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
4) Offer a compressed list view. Just show me the title, author and price with a link to the details. That would let me scan through the lists much more efficiently when I'm looking for specific titles and authors.

Good ideas. I'm surprised you can't actually do 2. However if you are looking for a specific author or title, wouldn't using search be more efficient than looking through a long list?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I do like how aggressive Amazon has been about providing content for the kindle, but there are few little things that I think that Amazon could do to make it easier for me to buy titles. Perhaps Amazon has a way to do some of these already and I'm just missing it.

1) A wish list similar to that at Audible.com. On audible, I can browse and if I see an audible book that I'm interested in, but not ready to buy, I can put it on my wishlist with a click of a button. I can then pull up my wishlist, select one or more books and click on the send to shopping cart to buy it. I use this feature all the time.

2) When inside a category, sort by Author or Title instead of just bestselling, rated or price. I'm just use to scanning for books based on author since that's how I do it in the book store.

3) A watch list that will notify me when a desired title or author is available. The Sony store actually has this feature, though it doesn't appear to work (at least not for me). To me this seems to be a real no brainer. Send me an e-mail when Jim Butcher has a new book on the kindle. Let me know when Lord of Light or any Roger Zelazny book comes out on the kindle. To me, this seems to be a real no brainer.

pww
There is actually a "wish list" button for Kindle books. Click on the star rating link and you will find a "add to wish list" button on the right hand of your screen. The other option is to download a sample of the book and use that as a wish list, they are clearly marked sample on you Kindle.

While it's true that Kindle books do not sort by author, you can pull up all the work of an individual author by putting in name in the search box at the top of the window.

I definitely agree that a list view and a "watch for" list would add a lot to the site

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I'm searching for a specific author or book, then yes the search is better. I'm thinking more of just scanning the bookshelves like the regular bookstore. Also, sometimes I can't remember an author's specific name, but I can remember that it started with an A or that I saw it on the first set of shelves at the book store, which means it either starts with A or B.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, I'll have to try that.
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes, the wish list is a nice feature I love... i don't have other big comments... everything seems very nice...
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
awesomevegan
Connoisseur
awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindleing since 11/4/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
There is actually a "wish list" button for Kindle books. Click on the star rating link and you will find a "add to wish list" button on the right hand of your screen. The other option is to download a sample of the book and use that as a wish list, they are clearly marked sample on you Kindle.

While it's true that Kindle books do not sort by author, you can pull up all the work of an individual author by putting in name in the search box at the top of the window.

I definitely agree that a list view and a "watch for" list would add a lot to the site

cheers
Thanks SO much! I have been wondering how to do that... I have been writing down the books I want... or adding the paper version. It was getting annoying! I'm making a new list now. With the Kindle versions!
awesomevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
If you're shopping the Kindle store through the Whispernet connection, when looking at a particular book, there are several options available, including "Save for Later". You can later go back to the Saved items, review them, download a sample, or buy them right there. It's kind of like a wishlist, though not visible through your browser.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
If you're shopping the Kindle store through the Whispernet connection, when looking at a particular book, there are several options available, including "Save for Later". You can later go back to the Saved items, review them, download a sample, or buy them right there. It's kind of like a wishlist, though not visible through your browser.
You can also just send yourself a sample. This not only serves as a reminder that you're interested in the book but allows you to start reading it before you commit.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
cush
Virtual Staggerwing Flier
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle (and an iMac)
I would like Amazon to keep track of each book that I have clicked on the "I'd like to read this Book on Kindle" button and then email me when that specific book becomes available. Should be trivial for them-they keep track of everything else. It would really enhance sales, I believe.
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post
I would like Amazon to keep track of each book that I have clicked on the "I'd like to read this Book on Kindle" button and then email me when that specific book becomes available.
Now that is an exceptional idea. You should definitely pose that to Amazon customer service.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #12
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I would like Amazon to keep track of each book that I have clicked on the "I'd like to read this Book on Kindle" button and then email me when that specific book becomes available. Should be trivial for them-they keep track of everything else. It would really enhance sales, I believe.
Good ideas, this is what I want too.. I think this can benefit for Amazon too..
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Perhaps they already do that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Perhaps they already do that.

BOb
Perhaps, I've used it quite a bit and haven't gotten any e-mails though. Of course, I can't say that any books that I've click on have come out on the kindle yet.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Perhaps, I've used it quite a bit and haven't gotten any e-mails though. Of course, I can't say that any books that I've click on have come out on the kindle yet.
Hum, I take it back. I'm pretty sure that I had used that feature on The Eight, but katherine Neville, and I just saw that it on my recommendation list for the Kindle when I check the amazon store (I have purchased The Fire a couple of weeks ago), so I'm pretty sure they aren't sending out any e-mails when books that we say "I want to read this on the Kindle" become available on the Kindle. (btw, I did just buy The Eight for the kindle).
pww