Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
karlpov
karlpov began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Question Cannot send books to Nook HD+

Suddenly I am unable to send books from my PC to my Nook HD+ via cailbre. I'm using the Send to device button, "Send to storage card A" (I use a supplementary card for my Nook library). I get the following error message:

calibre, version 1.6.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Cannot write to file: hr=2150236166 facility=42 error_code=6 description: The requested value cannot be determined.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 561, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 430, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 35, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 439, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2150236166 facility=42 error_code=6 description: The requested value cannot be determined.

Can anyone explain what's going on in less technical language?
karlpov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlpov View Post
Cannot write to file: hr=2150236166 facility=42 error_code=6 description: The requested value cannot be determined.
...~~~...
Can anyone explain what's going on in less technical language?
Kovid's previous advice for this error was to "Reboot both your device and your computer."

Let us know the results.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
karlpov

Thanks for the advice, which I believe I'd anticipated. Just to be sure, I turned both Nook and PC off again, and tried sending again, but got the same error message. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the latest calibre upgrade (1.6.0) as the problem started not immediately, but soon after I'd applied it.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, it has nothing to do with the update, but if you dont believe that, feel free to downgrade again to whatever previous version of calibre http://download.calibre-ebook.com

That error comes from the windows portable device subsystem and indicates an invalid response from the device to a request. The only fix I know for it is to reboot the device and if that does not work, to reset the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
karlpov

Lightbulb Workaround found

Thanks. The Send-to-device facility now works occasionally but not reliably. But Save-to-disk works pretty well. I use a folder on my hard drive and then do a DOS/Windows copy to my Nook. Since calibre checks the whole Nook for copies of books in the calibre library, I wind up with all the titles checked as on device.
Advert

Tags
error communicating, nook hd+, send to device