Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Tekkish
Tekkish began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nook Questions

This is a repost from the "New Nook Owner" thread. I've gone a few days without response, so I figured I'd post it here.

I got my Nook Simple Touch about a week ago, and I couldn't be happier with the device (LOVE the touch screen). However, I do have a few questions.

I turned on my Nook before I charged it to set it up (whoops). Will this permanently damage my battery now?

Additionally, I topped my Nook off a few times (not to full all the time, sometimes just to get a bit of extra juice). However, I heard I should wear down the battery fully before charging. Is this true?

Thank you for all your help!

EDIT: Customer service issue resolved. B&N's customer service is actually pretty good.

Last edited by Tekkish; 08-21-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Tekkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I can't give you an answer about the free book but you need not worry about the battery, not fully charging it will not hurt anything and you don't need to drain the battery.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The battery issues that you mention were concerns with the old school NiCad batteries. Most devices now have Lithium-Ion batteries, so you should be fine. Device manuals still have tips about fulling charging your battery, though it doesn't really apply anymore.

Running your battery down all the way, though, is not recommended. It can shorten it's life.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote