Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Paede
Paede began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Question Error with Tagesanzeiger News

Hi, I tried to fetch the news of the "Tagesanzeiger" (from Switzerland, in German) with the built-in recipe but after about 7 minutes an error window is displayed with the following message:

"Failed: Fetch news from Tagesanzeiger"

At the end of the "Detail-Output" I can see the following error:

"ValueError: All strings must be XML compatible: Unicode or ASCII, no NULL bytes"

Then I tried to open the built-in recipe in calibre but then a large error message is displayed and I can not open the recipe:

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseException</b>:You must not use 8-bit bytestrings unless you use a text_factory that can interpret 8-bit bytestrings (like text_factory = str). It is highly recommended that you instead just switch your application to Unicode strings. RemoteTraceback (most recent call last): File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 175, in run ProgrammingError: You must not use 8-bit bytestrings unless you use a text_factory that can interpret 8-bit bytestrings (like text_factory = str). It is highly recommended that you instead just switch your application to Unicode strings.

Does anyone knows how to fix that problem ? I use calibre 0.7.28.

Thanks a lot for your help !
Paede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
marbs
Zealot
marbs began at the beginning.

Device: nook
it sounds like the site broke its own links. wait a day or two (i think)
marbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the error you get when trying to customize the builting recipe is a bug, fixed in next release. You could probably work around it by using load recipe from file and opening the recipe file from the calibre installation directory in the resources/recipes subdirectory.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Paede
Paede began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Tagesanzeiger recipe OK Now

Hi again,

I Checked the built-in recipe of Tagesanzeiger and opened the recipe file from the calibre installation directory in the resources/recipes subdirectory like kovidgoyal suggested in his post (Thanks for the help kovidgoyal !). I changed a lot until I found the error in the recipe. The following line has to be changed so that there are no special characterts in it:

category = 'News, Politik, Nachrichten, Schweiz, Zürich'

... has to be changed to ...

category = 'News, Politik, Nachrichten, Schweiz, Zuerich'

The character "ü" caused the whole problem, now it's working ! Maybe that can be fixed in a new release.

Thanks to all people for their help and have a nice day !
Paede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
done.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert