Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Mikeread
Passionate Reader
Mikeread began at the beginning.

Device: none
M92 and PDFs

Hi,

I have a kindle keyboard, which has a small 6 inches screen which is good but can't do with PDFs. I want get an M92 so I can read programming PDFs from APress and WroxPress on it. Has anyone had problems reading such files?
Mike
Mikeread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeread View Post
Hi,

I have a kindle keyboard, which has a small 6 inches screen which is good but can't do with PDFs. I want get an M92 so I can read programming PDFs from APress and WroxPress on it. Has anyone had problems reading such files?
Mike
I have not had problems with reading proper PDF files. Sometimes PDF files do have errors themselves (PDF readers on a computer still open it, but give error warnings). With those PDFs the Onyx M92 has issues, but I could fix that so far by reencoding said PDFs, using ghostscript for example.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Mikeread
Passionate Reader

Thanks, I don't think that these APress books would have an issue. I just wanted to make sure before ordering the M92 device.
Mike
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
If it is not copyrighted, just upload it and we'll try it.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Mikeread
Passionate Reader

I don't think I can uploa them, since they have been put on the companion CD.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I read some books from O'Reilly and Pragmatic Programmers (http://pragprog.com/) and it's very easy and good.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
dkef
Enthusiast
dkef began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
In the latest release 1.8.20121113, I have found and reproduced the following annoying bug with the pdfreader. Within a pdf document, every time I use the menu button, the icons bar on the bottom changes to the default general icons bar. Changing to the zoom icons bar, causes the same effect after pressing the home button (change to the general icons).

Another bug. When the M92 goes into standby within a pdf document, pressing the menu button after power-on causes exit from the pdf document into the main screen.

Edit. The pdfreader is completely non-functional after stand-by - power-on sequence. Non even page turning.

Last edited by dkef; 11-18-2012 at 02:47 AM.
dkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkef View Post
In the latest release 1.8.20121113, I have found and reproduced the following annoying bug with the pdfreader. Within a pdf document, every time I use the menu button, the icons bar on the bottom changes to the default general icons bar. Changing to the zoom icons bar, causes the same effect after pressing the home button (change to the general icons).
Changing of status bar category happens, when you go to particular tools in in main menu. E.g. selecting one of the of annotation tools in main menu causes switching to annotation category in status bar

Quote:
Another bug. When the M92 goes into standby within a pdf document, pressing the menu button after power-on causes exit from the pdf document into the main screen.

Edit. The pdfreader is completely non-functional after stand-by - power-on sequence. Non even page turning.
I confirm the bug. Will be fixed ASAP
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
dkef
Enthusiast
dkef began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Changing of status bar category happens, when you go to particular tools in in main menu. E.g. selecting one of the of annotation tools in main menu causes switching to annotation category in status bar.
Thanks for the quick response Booxstor. I find the support experience from ereader-store.de the best I have experienced.
As for the status bar change effect, I find this "reset" of the status bar icons annoying. During normal pdf reading I often have to adjust the auto crop function; in my case this causes change of the status bar to the general icons category and then I have to change the status bar back to zoom icons. Why would use of the menu cause this?

Last edited by dkef; 11-19-2012 at 03:39 AM.
dkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I also think that toolbar should not change if another tooll is used.

If I would want use cerntain tool and to change toolbar (and continue using it). I would change toolbar first and use the apropriate tool afterwards.

Booxstor, I think that the best would be to implement (user selectable) smart dynamical toolbar (in addition to current toolbars), if Qt library allows that. There would be last 4-5 tools used (in order of usage frequency). It is easy to implement (if Qt allows using dynamical toolbar - changing the icons and actions assigned to them).

And if you add toolbar change freeze/unfreeze (and push/statistic button order) as bonus every need is satisfied.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
danya2
danya2 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung E60, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I also think that toolbar should not change if another tooll is used.
Yep, I quote it!

Quote:
Booxstor, I think that the best would be to implement (user selectable) smart dynamical toolbar (in addition to current toolbars), if Qt library allows that. There would be last 4-5 tools used (in order of usage frequency). It is easy to implement (if Qt allows using dynamical toolbar - changing the icons and actions assigned to them).

And if you add toolbar change freeze/unfreeze (and push/statistic button order) as bonus every need is satisfied.
This would be GREAT !!

Last edited by danya2; 11-22-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
danya2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Mikeread
Passionate Reader

I still don't get it guys, can I easily read PDFs on the M92?
I have no idea what are you talking about, maybe I will know when I get the device.
I just don't want spend over 300 Euro on something that would not give me the reading experience I'm hoping for. I just want read PDFs, since all my books are in that format.
If you have an advice before making the order please it's time
Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
Mono
Mono

Yes, it can.
Only some of the scanned in all or certain zoom might have a problém. Some kind of preprocessing in PC is needed in tis case. I personály had problém only with oné scanned doc and by proper adjusting zoom everything worked OK even without preprocessing in PC.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
Mikeread
Passionate Reader

Quote:
Yes, it can.
Only some of the scanned in all or certain zoom might have a problém. Some kind of preprocessing in PC is needed in tis case. I personály had problém only with oné scanned doc and by proper adjusting zoom everything worked OK even without preprocessing in PC.
Thanks but the kind of PDFs I have are not scanned at all, then I wouldn't have a problem???