Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
For baking I always use my digital scale. Most baking recipes require exact measurements or you end up with problems.
For other cooking I can change things as I wish.
Apache
That's where my remark about weighing out flour exactly came from, but with me it's bread making. Even a small error in weighing out the flour makes it too dry or too wet. I'm sure that people with more experience can tell by the feel of the dough whether or not it's right, but I'm not that good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #62
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
I weigh the flour the first time I make a new style of bread, or if I'm using the bread machine. After the first time, I know the consistency I'm want the dough to be.

What I can't ever seem to judge by consistency is pie crust. I make it so flakey it disintegrates if you breathe on it, or so tough you can roof your house with it. There is no inbetween.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #63
pmcnz
Enthusiast
pmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS-650, Kindle DXG
Yes, a cup varies depending on which country you are in.
Examples: an English cup is 250 milli-litres (ml) and a USAcup is around 200 milli-litres (litre = liter)
an Australian tablespoon = 20 ml while an English tablespoon = 15 ml
Cheers
pmcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #64
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
I weigh the flour the first time I make a new style of bread, or if I'm using the bread machine. After the first time, I know the consistency I'm want the dough to be.

What I can't ever seem to judge by consistency is pie crust. I make it so flakey it disintegrates if you breathe on it, or so tough you can roof your house with it. There is no inbetween.
Do you use real butter? The type of fat you use can really make a difference. If you use whole wheat flour, you need more butter (maybe a tablespoon). Some recipes call for a tablespoon or two of hot water. Generally speaking, that is a "save" technique for me when I can get the dough to stick to itself properly and often results in roofing material.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #65
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As a matter of curiosity, do people who cook in the US generally own a set of scales? I have a digital balance that I use pretty much every time I cook, but American recipes rarely if ever seem to use weights - it's all volumes.
I have a set of scales but use it more when I am trying to watch portions, or if I am trying to be more exact about the amount of meat I am putting in a recipe. If I baked more (I haven't made bread in years) I would probably try the recipes with metric weights.

I'm a pharmacist so at work I am very exact (and with metric, so I am used to that), but while cooking I am all about "Oh, this looks close enough".

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #66
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
That's where my remark about weighing out flour exactly came from, but with me it's bread making. Even a small error in weighing out the flour makes it too dry or too wet. I'm sure that people with more experience can tell by the feel of the dough whether or not it's right, but I'm not that good.
I don't know of any application, not that I have looked, but I wonder how reliable and how complex such an application would be if it were to be able to extract quantities out of a text recipe and convert them to another measurement system?

For myself I just convert using a table for descriptive measures such as cups, tablespoons, etc; for volumes and weights (although weights are uncommon in USA recipes) I just use a conversion application (normally my phone's one). But in the end for most recipes the volumes are not critical, of course, so almost always I just do a lot of rounding or just do a straight substitution e.g. US cups, tablespoons, etc. just become local metric cups, tablespoons, etc. and everything works out.

For bread (and I confess most of our bread these days is now made in a bread-maker as it is so convenient) the only thing I convert accurately are flour and water whose importance you mention, but doing so is not much of a chore. In the end I regard the result as only a guide as I keep in mind that just because the recipe nominates quantities for flour and water it is likely they will not apply to my own local flour and even differing local brands, so some judgement is required anyway (in bread-makers I check the dough consistency after the first mix, for example) and that only comes from some trial and error, and experience.

For bread, as an example of near enough is good enough, everything else is of no real importance and I just guess or pretty much adjust as I like. So for example for butter (and your mention of "stick") I may just use another fat and never measure it accurately. For example a "stick" is somewhat over 100g but I just lop off 100g or what looks like a bit more-butter here comes in packs marked with 50g marks, but if the butter is no longer in the pack I just guess.

With respect to the water and dry ingredients mix in bread if I throw in some extra dry ingredients such as pumpkin, sunflower or caraway seeds (the latter we find nice in wholemeal bread, for example) I don't adjust the water, but if adding off my own bat bran or wheatgerm, say, as a substitute for some of the flour I then know I will likely have to adjust the water due to the differing absorption of the substitute. The same approach for specialty loaves and those that have fruits, etc. in them such as malt loaves (for which when using small quantities of wet ingredients such as malt or syrup any deviation from the recipe's exact quantity through "guessing" is of little consequence to the total mix).

I know that has not answered your question, but it may give you some thoughts for an alternative approach. Rounding all that up, it is very rare that the ingredients in a recipe have to be anything close to exact and just substituting local cups for US cups, etc. will almost always do fine. And where the quantities are important, such as for water and flour in bread, the quantities in the recipe are only a guide as the actual quantities needed will depend on ones local flour and so requires some judgment of the actual mix consistency and a trial anyway.

Getting back to the thread topic. We have a big collection of cookbooks collected over 40 or so years but the recipes from those that we use most are digitised. When one gets down to it, it is usual that only a few recipes from any one book will be ever used more than once,

Recipes from the internet that I think may be of interest I just paste into MSOneNote, those that become worthy of trying I just printout to use in the kitchen, and then if they pass the test of trying and reuse I then just paste the recipe from OneNote into an MSWord recipe "book" of our most used recipes.

If the recipe is in a paper cook book and becomes a favourite I just type it into the Word recipe "book" if not too long, or else OCR it and tidy it up to go in the same.

As some other say they do, the recipes most used are printed out and go into plastic sleeves in a folder for day to day use. I see more and more kitchens with a notebook or tablet in them though, but not ours.

John

Last edited by AnotherCat; 12-22-2014 at 04:38 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #67
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Do you use real butter? The type of fat you use can really make a difference. If you use whole wheat flour, you need more butter (maybe a tablespoon). Some recipes call foimperviousablespoon or two of hot water. Generally speaking, that is a "save" technique for me when I can get the dough to stick to itself properly and often results in roofing material.
I either underwork it or overwork it, I have no middle ground. My mother could judge with her fingertips when pastry was perfect, but I could never get the knack, possibly due to calluses (my hands are also semi-impervious to heat - my wife swears I don't need oven mitts).

My latest pastry recipe is below:

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #68
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re: US -- most people I know do not use scales. I do make bread, but like everything else, I eyeball it.

Re: Crust. Work the crust? I don't work it at all. I barely pat it together. Once I started using butter, it was a matter of just getting it sticky enough to get in the shell. And ofttimes, barely at that. I use my hands very little. Mostly a fork.

But it is hard to make. I do not always succeed in a good crust. Just the way it goes.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #69
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
As a matter of curiosity, do people who cook in the US generally own a set of scales? I have a digital balance that I use pretty much every time I cook, but American recipes rarely if ever seem to use weights - it's all volumes.
I don't own a scale - US recipes as you said don't use weights. I rarely follow a recipe exactly anyway, just use it as a guide.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #70
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I don't own a scale - US recipes as you said don't use weights. I rarely follow a recipe exactly anyway, just use it as a guide.
Suggestion. Recipes are suggestions!
Old 12-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #71
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Absolutely!
Old 12-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I regard it as a chemical engineering project which must be followed precisely, lest disaster ensure .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #73
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post

Trying substituting vodka for some of the water. The less water the less gluten build up. When I bake an apple pie I use Applejack in place of some of the water in the pie dough. Or I make pasta frolla pie dough for fruit pies.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #74
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I am the same way. I make the recipe my own. I will follow it the first time and then I will modified it more to my liking.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #75
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Trying substituting vodka for some of the water. The less water the less gluten build up. When I bake an apple pie I use Applejack in place of some of the water in the pie dough. Or I make pasta frolla pie dough for fruit pies.
Apache
And then if it doesn't turn out right you still have the vodka anyway!