Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
GoodCompany
Connoisseur
GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle E-Reader (basic), Nook Glowlight Plus 3
Would the PRS-T2 solve my problem?

When I got my Sony 350 I thought I would use it primarily for library books and at the time that was not an option for the Kindle. Well, I fell in love with e-reading and now buy virtually all my new books digitally. I have a definite preference for the Sony over the Kindle (surprised that Amazon still doesn't offer one version that combines touchscreen and buttons), but have been frustrated that time after time the books I want to purchase are available at Amazon, but not at the Sony store, Kobo, or Books on Board. I'm not tech savvy, but I can follow directions and have learned to convert thanks to Calibre and a helpful apprentice. However, I recently purchased a book available only at Amazon and the format turned out to be topaz rather than mobi and inconvertible, at least at my level of expertise. I have Kindle for PC, so I can sit at my computer and read it, but that's not my idea of e-reading. So, I'm wondering if with a PRS-T2 (or 1), is it possible to download the Kindle app and have the best of both worlds? If so, does that involve rooting or hacking (both of which are foreign territory to me)? Of course, if you know a simple way to convert topaz to epub, that would be great to know as well. Thanks for your help, good readers!
GoodCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The T1 can be rooted, and it is very easy to do so. However, adding the Kindle app is not as easy, as the space allotted for apks is very small. I tried to put it on mine, and I could not. It's possible that some of the apps that come with the rooting package could be deleted, to make room, I didn't try that. Also, the app partition size can be changed, but that is why too technical for me. I trust others will be more forthcoming with details about all this.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
I did install the kindle app and it works fine, but you have to take an older (lighter) version, as is stated here.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The tools from your apprentice friend create an HTMLZ file (among other things) when doing thier trick on a Topaz book (IIRC). This is an HTML version of the book which can be cleaned up (due to the nature of Topaz there are usually OCR errors & italics have to be put back in) and converted to ePub with some work. It can be a lot of work and personally it's not worth the trouble, but if you just have to have it then it might be to you.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-23-2012 at 03:46 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Might I suggest a visit to the esteemed Apprentice Alf's Blog ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert