Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #76
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Didn't we already have this discussion elsewhere on MR?
Yes. The Google/Asus Nexus 7 was discussed in multiple threads in the Kindle Fire forum. But being an android device that is NOT a Kindle Fire, it is probably more appropriate in this more general android forum than in a Kindle Fire forum (especially in this "Google Nexus 7" thread, where this discussion actually DOES belong).

The Nexus 7 would have been a much nicer tablet if Google had not insisted that Asus REMOVE the SD card slot from the original design, or at least if they did not REMOVE the USB storage driver from the original prototype firmware. Of course, they make money from data mining their cloud storage, so there is that...

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-24-2012 at 12:31 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #77
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Didn't we already have this discussion elsewhere on MR?
I don't recall seeing where it required rooting; hence the question.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #78
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Rooting is easy if you use the latest "One-Button" rooter.
There are two different root "schemes" listed on XDA.

I used the toolkit on xda developer:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1766475

The one I decided on has restore and backup built in, which the one click does appear to have. I watched the video before doing it and followed the directions in the post. It was very easy. I was surprised, actually.

I did take advantage of the option to install the drivers first (which made it easier, I think). I ran into the one problem they said might happen, but the fix for it was very easy and is right in the post itself. Mostly I was patient.

I'm pretty good at things that take patience, but not necessarily a great deal of skill.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #79
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
Ecosystem lock-in?

I was wondering if Google tries to lock you into their ecosystem with the N7, like Amazon & B&N did with their tablets.

Can you load the Kindle app on it? Can you access the Amazon App Store (whatever they call it)? Can you stream video from Amazon?

Does google/nexus block anything else they deem competitive?

Also, what are the ways I might stream video from my home server?

Thanks,
tlc
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #80
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are two different root "schemes" listed on XDA.

I used the toolkit on xda developer:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1766475
I used the one at your link too. In my case, it would not work using the Windows XP VM running in VirtualBox on my linux host PC. I had to run it on my wife's Win7 laptop.

Whenever it hung "waiting for device" (or whatever similar message), I killed the adb.exe process using the Task Manager window I kept open for that purpose. As I recall, I had to kill adb.exe perhaps 5 times during the rooting procedure. Other than that, no problems.
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #81
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Ecosystem lock-in?

I was wondering if Google tries to lock you into their ecosystem with the N7, like Amazon & B&N did with their tablets.

Can you load the Kindle app on it? Can you access the Amazon App Store (whatever they call it)? Can you stream video from Amazon?

Does google/nexus block anything else they deem competitive?

Thanks,
tlc
You can load the kindle app, and even the amazon store, on the Nexus 7. Using the amazon store, you can even install the amazon daily free deals on the N7. And there is the android marketplace too.

You need to go into settings and allow "install foreign apps" (or whatever they call it), to install stuff NOT from Google Play.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #82
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't recall seeing where it required rooting; hence the question.
You responded to a conversation about rooting the N7 in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=101

You said:
Quote:
I'm tired of rooting devices.
I was talking about the whole discussion about the problems associated with not having an SD card slot/expanded memory, not discussions about how people have rooted, problems they might have had (or not) doing it.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #83
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Whenever it hung "waiting for device" (or whatever similar message), I killed the adb.exe process using the Task Manager window I kept open for that purpose. As I recall, I had to kill adb.exe perhaps 5 times during the rooting procedure. Other than that, no problems.
The developer came up with a shortcut for that fix/problem. I guess I benefited from waiting until he did.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #84
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Ecosystem lock-in?
If you have a home server capable of streaming, connecting to it on the N7 is probably not much of a stretch. I know people are connecting using things like PogoPlug. I am not a home server kinda gal.

As for your other issues, there are a bunch of legitimate 3rd party sites for getting Android Apps. You are not locked into the Google Play store. Search on "Alternative App stores for Android" and you will see lists from various sources. I am in Canada and can't use the Amazon app store, though I can read using the kindle app.

EDIT: I think you may be locked into using the Play store for apps created by Google, like Google Maps.

Last edited by taming; 07-24-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #85
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You responded to a conversation about rooting the N7 in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=101

You said:

I was talking about the whole discussion about the problems associated with not having an SD card slot/expanded memory, not discussions about how people have rooted, problems they might have had (or not) doing it.
My question was a specific one, not a general one. I was hoping that someone had found a fix that didn't require rooting.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #86
geekmaster

Quote:
My question was a specific one, not a general one. I was hoping that someone had found a fix that didn't require rooting.
Sadly, adding direct USB external storage support to a Nexus 7 requires root access. You can connect a USB network adapter though (according to a post I read elsewhere), allowing you to access a NAS (network storage device). Some external hard drives have a CAT5 jack just for that purpose. There are also small battery-powered wifi storage devices available. You can at least upload and download files to them via a web page, and perhaps even connect directly to them via file sharing. I have not tested any of these options though. My N7 is rooted and uses USB flash memory sticks now.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #87
taming
Trying for calm & polite

@tubemonkey, Google could conceivably change this, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You do seem to need root to play with the internals to get this functionality.

As an aside, the idea of rooting anything scared the heck out of me. Watching the videos and seeing how helpful people on XDA could be made me think it was worth trying it even though I probably will never need the additional storage space. I just plunked down $2.99 for the cable to do use my card reader or powered USB hub with it. The stick mount app is free.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #88
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
@tubemonkey, Google could conceivably change this, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You do seem to need root to play with the internals to get this functionality.

As an aside, the idea of rooting anything scared the heck out of me. Watching the videos and seeing how helpful people on XDA could be made me think it was worth trying it even though I probably will never need the additional storage space. I just plunked down $2.99 for the cable to do use my card reader or powered USB hub with it. The stick mount app is free.
Rooting doesn't intimidate me. I've rooted two Nook Colors and three HP TouchPads to gain access to the Android Market. If those devices had come with that access out of the box, I wouldn't have rooted. I'm just tired of doing it at this point and don't want to do it anymore.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #89
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Sadly, adding direct USB external storage support to a Nexus 7 requires root access. You can connect a USB network adapter though (according to a post I read elsewhere), allowing you to access a NAS (network storage device). Some external hard drives have a CAT5 jack just for that purpose. There are also small battery-powered wifi storage devices available. You can at least upload and download files to them via a web page, and perhaps even connect directly to them via file sharing. I have not tested any of these options though. My N7 is rooted and uses USB flash memory sticks now.
The primary reason I want a 7" tablet is to watch videos while on vacation in locations that don't have wifi. For that, I need expandable storage. Rooting and/or using extra accessories is not something I wish to do.

I'm not adverse to using the cloud. I do it at home all the time. Unfortunately, where I vacation, the cloud is something that produces rain.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #90
geekmaster

Quote:
The primary reason I want a 7" tablet is to watch videos while on vacation in locations that don't have wifi. For that, I need expandable storage. Rooting and/or using extra accessories is not something I wish to do.

I'm not adverse to using the cloud. I do it at home all the time. Unfortunately, where I vacation, the cloud is something that produces rain.
Then you need your own "portable cloud" wifi storage device:
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Clo...ced-38411.html