Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

View Poll Results: Should I buy an M92 or a Dell Latitude ST windows 7 tablet instead?
I have an M92 and I recommend it. 1 6.67%
I have an M92 but I recommend the tablet instead. 0 0%
I do not have an M92 but I recommend it. 11 73.33%
I do not have an M92 and I recommend the tablet instead. 2 13.33%
Undecided yet. 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
initx
Enthusiast
initx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nokia Lumia 800
Should I buy an M92 or a tablet instead?

I read a lot of PDFs (business, scientific, technical books etc.) and want to make annotations, highlights and notes with a pen. Also, I want to preserve my annotations for the long-term. Should I buy an M92 or a Dell Latitude ST tablet instead? (I don't really need web browsing, emailing etc. because I use these functions on my smartphone and usually I also have my notebook with me.)

initx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
onesome
Connoisseur
onesome began at the beginning.

Device: GalaxyTab 10.1
I sold my PB903 because my economics PDFs /which contain many color graphs/ didn’t look good enough. I bought SamsungGalaxy Tab 10.1 which is excellent tablet. But its display is not comfortable for long reading so I can’t use it as dedicated reader. That’s why I’ve preordered M92. In the video review M92 seems to be excellent for PDF reading /due to his high contrast display and improved software/ but once again if there is a lot of “must see” colors in your PDF files you should look for tablet. In any other case I’d pick a dedicated reader.
onesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
initx
Enthusiast

Thx Onesome for your valuable info. I also read economic books with a lot of graphs.

Currently I have both a 7 inch Galaxy Tab and a 6 inch Hanlin V3 reader. This screen size is not big enough. And navigating the Hanlin is a painful thing. I need very fast navigation across pages... This is one area where the M92 rocks (with the pen and navi bar). I am really happy that you shared your experiences with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 because this device also attractive. I was not sure, whether the amoled screen is comfortable to read 300+ pages. So I also tend to order the M92 instead.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
onesome
Connoisseur
onesome began at the beginning.

Device: GalaxyTab 10.1
I'm glad to help. Keep in mind there is color eInk reader coming - Jetbook Color. But seeing some videos I wouldn't bet on it. The light colors will suffer from gray background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp25adBJbRk

On paper it looks capable to bring the best of both worlds /tablets and ereaders/ but in reality it just couldn't tempt me.
onesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Annotations

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesome View Post
I sold my PB903 because my economics PDFs /which contain many color graphs/ didn’t look good enough. I bought SamsungGalaxy Tab 10.1 which is excellent tablet. But its display is not comfortable for long reading so I can’t use it as dedicated reader. That’s why I’ve preordered M92. In the video review M92 seems to be excellent for PDF reading /due to his high contrast display and improved software/ but once again if there is a lot of “must see” colors in your PDF files you should look for tablet. In any other case I’d pick a dedicated reader.
The only reader that handles PDFs well seems to come from Sony - which has excellent annotation-capabilities as well - in my opinion an absolute must. Normally I don't just read PDFs, I have to use parts of the content also somewhere else.
The PRC 950 seems to be available only in the US, is pretty expensive and only 7", which should be okay when used horizontally. As for color and size:my guess is maybe in two years. In the meantime the eyes will have to suffer ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi,

I am testing M92 for more than one month and can definitely recommend it.

Just visit http://ereader-store.de in three weeks (it will arrive there as the first bulk in EU and as I know other distributer have to wait untill January).

The initial price will be EUR 349,- (tax incl.) for EU customers and EUR 303,47 for customers from abroad of EU.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Testing and buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

Just visit http://ereader-store.de in three weeks (it will arrive there as the first bulk in EU and as I know other distributer have to wait untill January).

The initial price will be EUR 349,- (tax incl.) for EU customers and EUR 303,47 for customers from abroad of EU.
They seem to be selling only PB - would be nice to get to know where it is offered for that price(I have seen it offered for EUR 399 so far), otherwise I will have to develop my abiltiy to navigate websites.
By the way: won't it be January in three weeks?
Does the M92 have something like the Scribble-Program of the PB 903?
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
initx
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

Nice, thanks, I will place my order. (Especially if you will have a black device... Although white is elegant, black is more practical.)
Old 12-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
What is in a message

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
They seem to be selling only PB - would be nice to get to know where it is offered for that price(I have seen it offered for EUR 399 so far), otherwise I will have to develop my abiltiy to navigate websites.
I think he means they put in on their website once they are actually in possession of the devices; which I find very reasonable.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
I have an M90 and use it a lot but see it as more of a device for reading books than studying from them. I don't think epaper devices are fast enough for the latter use.

For study you need to flip pages and search very fast, be able to take notes, or call up a notebook/calculator/spreadsheet/dictionaries etc. instantly as well as do websearches. You also need to be able to flip to other books and skim through pages. All of these need a serious tablet, probably a full Windows tablet with stylus ability like the expensive Samsung Slate 7.

With the M90 I start a book and then stay with it until it's finished, occasionally pausing to make a note with the bookmarking feature. At that level it is excelent.
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
One thing to consider is also that with any ereader so far, no matter how good the annotations capabilities are, nothing is saved in the documents themselves... This is certainly a minus in terms of permanence.
The most popular Android reading apps for PDFs are capable of doing this (e.g. ezPDF or Repligo Reader, with the exception of Mantano Reader, unfortunately, at least it lets you sync to Adobe Digital Editions)...
So while I would generally prefer an eInk screen over LCD, proper annotation support is still not there...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
initx
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
One thing to consider is also that with any ereader so far, no matter how good the annotations capabilities are, nothing is saved in the documents themselves...
Well that's true, but eventually the M92 seems to be able to merge annotations with the PDF...
Old 12-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by initx View Post
Well that's true, but eventually the M92 seems to be able to merge annotations with the PDF...
That's good to know...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Schmitti
Enthusiast
Schmitti began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Originally I was thinking about a tablet too, which would have been the iPad. But in the end the deciding factor for me was the eInk display for better reading experience. I would immediately go for the Apple-patented iPad with hybrid display (incl. eInk), but if they choose to produce it at all, it will surely take another year or two until the technology works. The M92 seemed to be one of the best devices around, which doesn't have a "big name" attached to it. And now that I learn more and more about its features, I guess I can recommend it.
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotation, m92, tablet