Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
ktj
ktj began at the beginning.

Device: laputa on android
Sharing Library without books

This may seem like a strange question but I wanted to share my calibre library with someone so they could see the books I had, read the book summary, see the cover etc. But at this point I dont want to share all my books since it will all come to about 6gb in total.

So, is there a way I can copy the calibre library to a memory stick but to only copy the library structure and metadata, but not to copy the actually e-book files.
ktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
janrap
janrap began at the beginning.

Device: sony
You can use total commander
use function see all files in subdirectories
deselect the book files eg mark *.epub
invert the selection and copy to USB stick
janrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Make a catalog.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktj View Post
This may seem like a strange question but I wanted to share my calibre library with someone so they could see the books I had, read the book summary, see the cover etc. But at this point I dont want to share all my books since it will all come to about 6gb in total.

So, is there a way I can copy the calibre library to a memory stick but to only copy the library structure and metadata, but not to copy the actually e-book files.
Use the Catalogue tool (the arrow on the right of the Library icon)
default is Epub
If you have selected books, that is what will be included, otherwise, it's the entire LIBRARY
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
just copy the metadata.db file and tell the recipient to point calibre to the directory containing it as an existing library.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
just copy the metadata.db file and tell the recipient to point calibre to the directory containing it as an existing library.
I was going to suggest that, but realized he wanted covers, which means he needs the folder structure and cover.jpg files. If he's handy with copy or cp, he can probably copy only the cover.jpg files along with the folder structure where they exist. Otherwise, I'd suggest that he copy the entire library, then delete all formats, leaving only the covers.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
ktj

I tried the catalogue option before to create a csv file (for sorting fuzzy duplicates in excel). I never thought about what the output would be like as an epub.

However after 1hr 30 mins waiting for it to create the thing I cannot actually view the epub as it always gets stuck on the loading screen. Not sure what i did wrong.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
ktj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I was going to suggest that, but realized he wanted covers, which means he needs the folder structure and cover.jpg files. If he's handy with copy or cp, he can probably copy only the cover.jpg files along with the folder structure where they exist. Otherwise, I'd suggest that he copy the entire library, then delete all formats, leaving only the covers.
Assuming the files have the cover embedded into the epub then i guess this will still work wont it?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried the catalogue option before to create a csv file (for sorting fuzzy duplicates in excel). I never thought about what the output would be like as an epub.

However after 1hr 30 mins waiting for it to create the thing I cannot actually view the epub as it always gets stuck on the loading screen. Not sure what i did wrong.
You might want to tame down the default 'sections' included in the Catalog.
I am guessing the EPUB file size is over 20MEG, which is going to take quite a bit of crunch power before it renders.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
ktj

yes it was something like 36mb
Old 03-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
yes it was something like 36mb
Definatly, un-tick some of the options in the Catalog Create options
Then plan on TIME to start showing the render, even on a fairly robust system
Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Assuming the files have the cover embedded into the epub then i guess this will still work wont it?
Not if he isn't going to keep the epub files, it won't. He wants to make available cover and other metadata, but not the book content. Metadata is stored in metadata.db, but covers are stored in separate cover.jpg files. The cover may, or may not, also be stored in book formats that can store an image, like EPUB, but the only way to make them available without those formats, or for formats, like TXT, that don't store images, is to keep the cover.jpg file that Calibre creates.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote