Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
The movie from the book The Mortal Instruments (City of Bones) by Cassandra Clare

The movie from the book: "The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones"
premieres Wednesday 21 August 2013

It stars Lily Collins who had a big part in the movie "Priest." The series will chronicle her adventures in "Downworld."

Kind of a Buffy, series, but much more gravitas.

Cassandra Clare wrote the series "The Mortal Instruments" and other series as well.

City of Bones is the first book in this series, then
City of Ashes, then
City of Souls, and so on.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
yue
yue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD [Onyx]
I don't know what you're describing as 'kind of like Buffy' and 'adventures in Downworld', but it sure as hell isn't The Mortal Instruments.
yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I think that I started that book a while ago, put it down for some reason, and never got back to it. I don't remember it as being bad, just a little too teen-oriented for my taste, IIRC.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yue View Post
I don't know what you're describing as 'kind of like Buffy' and 'adventures in Downworld', but it sure as hell isn't The Mortal Instruments.
I don't understand. Please clarify a bit.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I think that I started that book a while ago, put it down for some reason, and never got back to it. I don't remember it as being bad, just a little too teen-oriented for my taste, IIRC.
I should be clearer. I just saw the first 3 trailers for the movie a few days ago. I loved them. I love most all sci fi and fantasy, though lately I have about had my fill of zombies.
I then acquired the first 3 books in the series, but haven't read them yet. I am planning on seeing the movie first, in a week or two.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I read them (the first three books anyway). I agree that the writing style was a little younger than I would prefer, with occasional scenes or phrases that were particularly grating. But the story was quite good, I think they might make very good movies, even the books were very visual.

I can see the similarities frahse speaks of with Buffy (I think it's that teen-aspect again, that and the unexpected heritage element to the story), but I can also see why someone might object to the comparison (Buffy - the movie at least - was almost a parody, The Mortal Instruments books treat the story quite seriously).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I read them (the first three books anyway). I agree that the writing style was a little younger than I would prefer, with occasional scenes or phrases that were particularly grating. But the story was quite good, I think they might make very good movies, even the books were very visual.

I can see the similarities frahse speaks of with Buffy (I think it's that teen-aspect again, that and the unexpected heritage element to the story), but I can also see why someone might object to the comparison (Buffy - the movie at least - was almost a parody, The Mortal Instruments books treat the story quite seriously).
Teenage fantasy seems to dominate the action fantasy screen these days. Harry Potter, the Vampire series, Snow White. That is not to say that the script writers aren't mature. They tailor their craft for the audience and for the directors.
"Daybreakers is the exception." A writer with a sense of reality.

On the other hand we have the "brain dead" zombie movies. There are only a few that warrant a look see in my opinion.
I enjoyed "The Battery." A very good writer in my opinion. Again a real sense or reality blended in with an impossibility.

And never forget the "30 days of Night." (from the comic genre, but amazing!)

I won't go into true horror for that is my wife's genre, and she watches any flick that puts children in danger all by her self. "Dark Water."

--- added -- Dark Water released 2002 in Japan. 2005 in US.

Last edited by frahse; 08-11-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(duplicate)

Last edited by Xanthe; 08-10-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I think that I might have started it (City of Bones) after I finished The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters series, so I suppose anything was going to pale in comparison to that - at least to my way of thinking.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author

City of Bones starts today.

I hope it catches on.

It is much more like the Dresden Files or Buffy than these teenage vampire flicks or just plain Zombies everywhere.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Mortal Instruments is like The Avengers of teen fantasy

Quote:
Remember when The Avengers came out, and it was just so gleefully jam-packed with crazy shit? Like, they shook the bag until every last thing fell out? The Mortal Instruments is like that, except for teen urban fantasy. This movie has everything in it, and it will make you laugh until you pass out.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I read the first three books in three days. They were great! Those were the only ones available at the time, and I have yet to get to subsequent books.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I read the first three books in three days. They were great! Those were the only ones available at the time, and I have yet to get to subsequent books.
Probably next week and certainly by next weekend, my wife and I will have time to see the movie together.

Then I can read the 3 books I have already acquired.

I have seen several good movies this summer.

Man of Steel -Most excellent.
Oblivion -Good
Elysium -Pretty Good

On DVD: Killing Season (Deniro, Travolta) Very Good
- war, hunting, wilderness, pain, unmitigated anguish, deep hatred

These are familiar.

I would give Killing Season a "Great" rating except they resorted to some cheap theatrics with their constant "turning the tables."
Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
bucsie
Connoisseur
bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I saw the trailers for the movie and it looks like they did a great adaptation, for a change, though until I see the whole movie I can't be sure .
I liked that the actors aren't all plastic-doll beautiful, they just look like normal teenagers.

The first books of the series were really good, I've read them one/day. But the last book was just teenage whining and pining, borderline obsessive; it made me think of Twilight.
bucsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucsie View Post
[...]I liked that the actors aren't all plastic-doll beautiful, they just look like normal teenagers.[...]
A horror movie!

gmw is offline   Reply With Quote