after 3 mins and 21 seconds

windows error msg

windows - delayed write failed

windows was unable to save all the data for the k:/
Crent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #32
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
a Windows "delayed write failure" is definitely not something Calibre can directly trigger. It indicates that something has gone wrong in the handshaking between windows and the device while trying to and data over the USB connection. It normally indicates something at the device end has failed, although it could also be something like the USB port/controller misbehaving in the PC.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crent View Post
after 3 mins and 21 seconds

windows error msg

windows - delayed write failed

windows was unable to save all the data for the k:/
You have a USB related issue: Port, Cable or Device.

Are you useing a Direct port (one on the PC vs a USB Hub)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #34
Crent
Crent began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
direct port, running this error down now...

also have been using a powered usb hub... thinking i need to get a powered pci usb card

talked to my computer guru buddy and he pointed out that i prob forgot to install my (very) specific chipset drivers, which i did and now seem to be okay as caliber can now retrieve the books from the device..

noew getting this

calibre, version 0.8.44
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

(2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 82, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 412, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 253, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1010, in _sanity_check
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 175, in free_space
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 133, in _windows_space
error: (2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

Last edited by Crent; 03-26-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #35
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
direct port, running this error down now...

also have been using a powered usb hub... thinking i need to get a powered pci usb card

talked to my computer guru buddy and he pointed out that i prob forgot to install my (very) specific chipset drivers, which i did and now seem to be okay as caliber can now retrieve the books from the device..

noew getting this

calibre, version 0.8.44
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1010, in _sanity_check
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 133, in _windows_space
Welcome to my error.

I gave up, and decided to just leave it alone as I had spent more time reading how to fix my KT rather than reading on it...
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #36
Crent
Crent began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
well i have finally tracked my problem down to the motherboard usb ports. i'm trying to locate a usb card to borrow and see if this fixes my problem

what i did what grabbed ahold of my wife's laptop and used it to transfer large files back and forth for over half an hour. the kobo and the pc worked flawlessly together. something that doesnt happen on my desktop. oh well i managed to sideload quite a few books to read before this problem..

cheers and thanks for bearing with me
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
well i have finally tracked my problem down to the motherboard usb ports. i'm trying to locate a usb card to borrow and see if this fixes my problem

what i did what grabbed ahold of my wife's laptop and used it to transfer large files back and forth for over half an hour. the kobo and the pc worked flawlessly together. something that doesnt happen on my desktop. oh well i managed to sideload quite a few books to read before this problem..

cheers and thanks for bearing with me
Be sure that you have the Bord Manufacturers reccomended Drivers (sometimes they make changes that are no longer compatible wit what WINDOWS thinks is OK to upgrade and they upgrade based upon some ID. )
Old 03-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #38
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same error, same problem. Make 1 change, it takes it fine [can be add 1 book or 10], makes it fine. Click to add more, I get the error again... beyond frustrating...

Old 03-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #39
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Blue

What all told have you tried?

Have you tried different USB ports and cables?

Have you checked the suggestions regarding Chipset drivers and USB speeds.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #40
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@Blue

What all told have you tried?

Have you tried different USB ports and cables?

Have you checked the suggestions regarding Chipset drivers and USB speeds.
I've reset my Kobo a few times, uninstalled/reinstalled Kobo desktop a couple of times as well.

I've checked my USB ports, checked KT disk, everything shows correct drivers, etc. Tried loading directly to Kobo [without Calibre], pretty much most of what I tried is everything suggested here.
I did not try a different cable, I'm using the one provided by Kobo.
I plug my Kobo directly into USB port, no hub or anything. As for Chipset driver and USB speeds, No, I'm uncertain how to check that.

I will try a different cable, and read around a bit more on drivers/USB speeds. But I'm doubtful....

What I don't understand is how it could be anything BUT software related because I've never had a problem with any of the Kobos previously, and I'm using the same USB port I use for backups to 1TB portable hard drive, 64GB iPod, my Blackberry, to copy files for kids homework, music, videos, etc.

If my USB port can handle ALL that with NO problems, I just don't understand how it can not work on a 1GB device, that used to work perfectly before this, and on 1st generation Kobo's as well. [I gave my old one to my Mom, and also bought and set up 1 for MIL, both computer challenged].
Logically, it doesn't add up...in my mind it has to be something between Kobo and Calibre...

Edit: did try different cable, same error.
Also tried shutting off Internet Security/scan, same error
Also upgraded to newest Calibre 8.4.5 I think, released today], same error

One thing I did notice, is that when I do try to make these changes, my windows folder that opens when you connect to computer, it closes by itself...

And, I still think it's software related for reasons I stated above.

Last edited by Blue2u; 03-30-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: clarification + additional test
Old 03-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #41
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What happens if you use Kobo Desktop and sync. some books from the Kobo Website?

Did you try what TheDucks suggested? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=12
Old 03-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #42
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What happens if you use Kobo Desktop and sync. some books from the Kobo Website?

Did you try what TheDucks suggested? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=12
PeterT, I appreciate your assistance.

Kobo purchases work fine. I get this error when I'm trying to make changes to my library through Calibre, it will let me do one change [add usually] at a time, and it will do it with 1 book, or 10, fine. When I click to add another, that's when I get the error. Making 1 change at a time is a PITA, and I've done this before, and never got these errors til last couple of month. Hence why I think it's software problem between KT and Calibre. The Kobo should let you manage library without these problems...

I didn't try shutting off USB enhanced because like I said in my last post, I use my computer to manage multiple devices and I don't want to cause errors or have problems on any of those devices, they all work fine and I don't want to fix 1 thing only to have all my other devices not work.

My KT works fine [now, again, finally ], only thing that doesn't is Calibre library management on Kobo as stated above, and it used to.

I think I'm at the 'I give up' point again, and resigned to doing 1 change at a time, because there doesn't seem to be an easy fix, and it's obviously not only myself having this problem. I don't want to risk messing up all else on my computer that is working fine, for this 1 thing. But I'll check back in case someone does find some easy, magic setting that makes this error go away.

I do appreciate the help, not trying to sound ungrateful, because people are so helpful here. I just think KT shouldn't have this problem, when it didn't before, and it should be Kobo or Calibre looking to make this work, not me.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #43
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Shutting down Enhanced, only make the connection into USB 1.x (slow).

You only need to do it for the test.
If you can transfer properly, Then you probably need to get (a replacement) a Kobo that works with Intel USB. 2) Do what I did: Get a near obsolete USB 1.x board (cheap) and use that for your reader and the stock ports for all else.

Note: I put up with slow for almost 2 years, then I got a Second PEz and that one does USB 2 transfers great (and lots, lots faster)
Old 03-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #44
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Shutting down Enhanced, only make the connection into USB 1.x (slow).

You only need to do it for the test.
If you can transfer properly, Then you probably need to get (a replacement) a Kobo that works with Intel USB. 2) Do what I did: Get a near obsolete USB 1.x board (cheap) and use that for your reader and the stock ports for all else.

Note: I put up with slow for almost 2 years, then I got a Second PEz and that one does USB 2 transfers great (and lots, lots faster)
I have a very old computer, close to 5 years old. As I'm not very familiar with USB stuff, I got my hubby to check, he says I don't even have USB 2, mine are both 1.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #45
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

What has me totally baffled is that ALL applications (including Kobo Desktop) treat the Touch as a disk drive via the USB interface; it's not as if calibre is doing anything different from Explorer, Kobo Desktop, even the venerable Windows command prompt!