Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Never Let Me Go interests me. I'm also curious (if any have read it yet) as to how science fiction / dystopian it is as opposed to romance. I was looking through GoodReads members' shelving of the book. Romance was way down the list of shelves.
I've read Never Let Me Go and it's not really a romance. It more dystopian then anything. The It's not really all that good. It's a plodding read at best. The movie version is awful. I was able to finish the book, but I had to stop the movie because I could not finish it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-22-2015 at 03:57 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I haven't read it yet but I've seen the film, which I really liked. It's a soft dystopian, nothing radical really except for certain major aspects which I won't reveal here. Otherwise, it's very modern-day British or rather period British even in feel.

It's more love story set against a dystopian background, but it's not just either of those. Even though I've already seen the film and so the story is spoiled for me, I still want to read the book because I loved Ishiguro's writing in Remains of the Day (another book I read after seeing the film and still loved the book).
The movie cannot be compared to the book. The book is more dystopian then romance. So based on the book, it's not really a romance.
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #48
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Which means it will win this vote.

To me it sounds like a Murakami novel where there is always some love and romance in it, but it is not the driver, even when it is front and center I don't call his books romance in the least.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Which means it will win this vote.

To me it sounds like a Murakami novel where there is always some love and romance in it, but it is not the driver, even when it is front and center I don't call his books romance in the least.
To be honest, I hope it doesn't win as it is not a wonderful book. I read it for a book club and it didn't go over that well. That's not just my opinion. And two others who had seen the movie didn't like the movie.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #50
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The movie version is awful.
I've seen the movie, but not read the book (which is why I nominated it here). I actually found the movie really good, however it's paced somewhat slowly and doesn't have the typical dramatic structure that most modern films (especially US films) have. It's also extremely grim material. It's rated quite well on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes but it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

I expect the book would probably be similar because of its very grim dystopia setting.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf View Post
I've seen the movie, but not read the book (which is why I nominated it here). I actually found the movie really good, however it's paced somewhat slowly and doesn't have the typical dramatic structure that most modern films (especially US films) have. It's also extremely grim material. It's rated quite well on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes but it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

I expect the book would probably be similar because of its very grim dystopia setting.
The book is better than the movie. I was able to read the entire book but not watch the entire movie.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:57 PM   #52
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I haven't read or watched Never Let Me Go yet, but I'm curious about Fighting Redemption
by Kate McCarthy, so I'll second that! (Thank you WT Sharpe for the round up)
I'm still reserving my last nomination... I also want to read a good crime book.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:02 AM   #53
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina,
I'd like to put forward Echoes by Maeve Binchy

It's one of her earlier works and is quite dark in places. She was really at the height of her writing with this.

Goodreads synopsis: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34301.Echoes

Amazon US

Amazon UK

Kobo

Barnes & Noble Nook US

Nook UK

This is my first ever nomination so apologies if I haven't quite got the post format right.
Alsicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #54
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I think you did fine. Welcome to the bookclub.

I am out of nominations or I'd give that a go.

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 01-23-2015 at 08:48 AM.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #55
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Second Echoes by Maeve Binchy.

Welcome to the book club, Alsicole.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #56
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm kind on in the mood for a classic. If Jane Eyre wins I'll certainly read it, although the plot reminds me of Bleak House by Charles Dickens which I read fairly recently. In addition, other members have already read it and some have given it five stars and I'm bit sure they'll be in the mood to re-read it. I'm not giving it a nod at this time, but if it wins, I'll certainly vote for it.

Latakia by JF Smith looks interesting, and the hero hails from Richmond, which I assume is Richmond, Virginia since the author is a U.S. citizen. Also, Richmond's not just outside of where my daughter lives and where I'm going today, so I'll give a second to Latakia.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #57
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Third Latakia.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #58
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Third Latakia.
Just read the synopsis and it sounds great. I'd be up for reading that too!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #59
Alsicole
Connoisseur

I've also read a few M/M romances which I've enjoyed, so I'll give a vote to Tigers and Devils - so that's a third.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:18 PM   #60
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've received a good feedback from Tigers and Devils from my sister (thankfully she didn't spoil the story for me like she usually does) I'm too undecided which book I'd nominate as my 3rd. Leaning in between Jane Eyre and The Plum Tree...

But I'll have to go with Jane Eyre because it's a classic I should've read a long time ago.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote