Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: April 2012 New Book Club Vote
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 0 0%
In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust 1 33.33%
Moby Dick by Herman Melville 0 0%
Winter’s Heart: Book Nine of “The Wheel of Time” by Robert Jordan 0 0%
How To Avoid Huge Ships by Captain John W. Trimmer 0 0%
Everyone Poops by Taro Gomi 1 33.33%
The Very Virile Viking by Sandra Hill 1 33.33%
The 2007-2012 Outlook for Public Building Stacking Chairs Excluding Bar, Bowling Center,... by Philip M. Parker 1 33.33%
Dildo Cay by Nelson Hayes 0 0%
Microwave For One by Sonia Allison 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thumbs up April 2012 New Book Club Vote [April Fool]

Help us choose a book for the April 2012 New Book Club!

Select from the following Official Choices with three nominations each:

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Spoiler:
The heartwarming and family-friendly book that’s beloved by people with spheniscine avatars and lupine usernames everywhere.

In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust
Spoiler:
Can't find Time? Search here! This breezy book clocks in at a slim 4211 pages, but some may find it too light and quick of a read.

Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Spoiler:
The universally loved fast-paced edge-of-your-seat can’t-put-down page-turner. Some say the writing could've been a little more descriptive and fleshed-out, though.

Winter’s Heart: Book Nine of “The Wheel of Time” by Robert Jordan
Spoiler:
Because the ninth book in a series is the best place to start.

How To Avoid Huge Ships by Captain John W. Trimmer
Spoiler:

A primer on how to avoid huge ships.

"I was jogging around the block when all of a sudden I was almost struck by a huge ship! Thankfully I had read How to Avoid Huge Ships. I have lived to tell the tale and now I only hope future generations read this lifesaver." - Marai

"This book was very helpful and informative, i have myself been run over by huge ships a total of 27 and a half times, well the half time wasnt a huge ship it was more of a really really big boat, and i was sick of it. I read the book and found exactly what I was doing wrong." - Robert Frost

On Amazon

Everyone Poops by Taro Gomi
Spoiler:
This tasteful and classy tome is a bit lengthy at 27 pages, but well worth all the time expended. May be a bit too dense for some.

“"An elephant makes a big poop. A mouse makes a tiny poop," and so the text goes...” - Publishers Weekly

On Amazon

The Very Virile Viking by Sandra Hill
Spoiler:
Magnus Ericsson and his ten children by various wenches (OK, nine, one got left behind) have accidentally time travelled from their Viking village into modern-day Hollywood. Oops! Hijinks and sexy-time ensue as Magnus falls for a winemaker named Angela, has to deal with his rambunctious children and also finds his long-missing brothers who time-travelled ahead of him sometime before.

On Amazon

The 2007-2012 Outlook for Public Building Stacking Chairs Excluding Bar, Bowling Center, Cafeteria, Library, Restaurant, and School Stacking Chairs in India by Philip M. Parker
Spoiler:
One of the world’s most popular books of the last decade, it covers the latent demand outlook for public building stacking chairs excluding bar, bowling center, cafeteria, library, restaurant, and school stacking chairs across the states, union territories and cities of India.

"You should really read it in the original Hindi. The English translation fails to convey the author's passion for the topic." - D. Wechsler

"Well, it seems that everything is being outsourced to India, including the latent demand for institutional stacking chairs." - James M. O’Connell

"This book was riveting from page one. I was extremely disappointed that bowling centers were excluded, however, as that is my main area of interest as it relates to stackable chairs." - Richard D. Stahr

On Amazon

Dildo Cay by Nelson Hayes
Spoiler:

An enlightened and perennial literary classic that was written in 1940 and published by Houghton Mifflin, and even adapted into a motion picture. From the inside flap:

"Ainsworths do not marry for love. They choose their women to carry on the line–thoroughbreds who can endure the loneliness and the eternal wind of the Ainsworth island – Dildo Cay. This speck in the Atlantic lies six hundred miles southeast of Great Bahama. Here the Ainsworths have lived for eleven generations–the one white family among two hundred blacks.

Young Adrian Ainsworth has followed the family tradition in selecting his wife, Mary. Then Carol arrives with her father, hired to revive the salt industry on which the livelihood of the Ainsworths and the blacks depends. Carol is a glittering and sophisticated creature caught in a strange situation. Adrian’s deep, growing desire for Carol and the tension between her arrogant father and the blacks mount to an electric climax. Without sentimentality, but with a powerful honesty, the author paints a consuming passion against a romantic and exotic background."

Microwave For One by Sonia Allison
Spoiler:

Lauded as an essential and classic book for the haute cuisine crowd.

“I must say that this has probably been the most helpful thing since prometheus stole fire from the gods. However, I would not recommend making the Manhattans in the microwave, as they bubble over.” - Scotchswiller

"I was looking pretty pale and anemic from eating my soup cold from the can when this book showed up on my doorstep. I have no idea who sent it to me but I am eternally grateful! I had a hard time with some of the recipes because I couldn't tell if my soup was hot enough yet. I solved the problem by putting some cardboard into my Microwave's latch and now I can cook with the door open so I can stick my finger in the soup to know when it's done. I feel like I'm eating better and my coworkers even say that my face has more color. Thank you whoever sent me this gift and thank you Sonia for writing it -- you've saved my life!" - J. Stephen

On Amazon

The fine print:
Through a series of polls, we have all agreed to new rules for the New Book Club, starting this month:

Spoiler:
This poll is multiple choice. The rules, as agreed upon by our members in seven and a half previous polls, are thus:

-If your username has an even amount of letters, you may vote for 2-4 choices.

-If your username has an odd amount of letters, you may vote for either 1 or 5 choices.

-Special circumstance: As unanimously agreed to in a special poll, if your username happens to begin with a J and also end in an F, you may vote for as many choices as you like, but your selections must either be a sequel or Lolita.

If there is a tie, we have decided through a poll that the best tie-breaker is to stand in the middle of Stonehenge with the tied books and see which one has the best vibrations. Or flip a coin. The poll on tie-breaking tied, so we will alternate methods.

This vote poll will be ONE DAY in length. After that, you will have one day to read the book. Some felt that was too long but we can re-discuss that later.

We have decided as a group to use the same nominations each month from now until we’ve selected and read all ten choices, to the delight of everyone.

And one final thing:

Spoiler:
Happy April Fool’s!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5

This is great.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Excellent, sun surfer. Best one so far today .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Very clever. The Very Virile Viking is what I imagine when I think of a romance novel. The 2007-2012 Outlook for Public Building Stacking Chairs Excluding Bar, Bowling Center, Cafeteria, Library, Restaurant, and School Stacking Chairs in India sound so good. But I well have to put off voting for it until I am sure I can borrow it from my local library.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
OMG!!!!

The spoilers are superb!

Now I need to decide my vote(s)! Odd number of letters...1 or 5 choices...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
This is very hard. I'm a huge fan of the ninth book of a series, but damn that virile viking is tempting. And who doesn't love a little Proust?
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
No luck with inkmesh searches
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Oh thank you for this!!

Happy day indeed!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
very very funny, loved it!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Beautiful!
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've about 130 pages left.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Nice, just saw this today.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote