Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
veste
veste began at the beginning.

Device: skytex primer
Unhappy Skytex Primer problem

Happy New Year, everyone!
I've had a Skytex Primer (7" colour) for a little while now, and it seems like a decent reader, but I've had a few problems.
I needed to upgrade the firmware in order to have it support Adobe Digital Editions (which the public library system uses to lend out e-books). After several tries at upgrading it on a friend's computer (I'm a Mac person and there's no Mac version), I finally got it updated. Yay! However, when I took the primer home and connected it to my computer, it wouldn't read it and said that it wasn't formatted. That's where I think I screwed up. I tried to format the reader using Disk Utility using the FAT format. In doing so, I must have overwritten the file structure on the reader. The computer will recognize it so far as loading the disk drive, but the folders that were there before are gone. When I try to drag a file to the reader, the file will be copied on to it, but won't show up on the reader's menu screen. The Ebook, Music, Video, and Photo menu items all respond No File! The Radio and Calendar sections are working fine, however, and the Adobe logo still shows in the corner.
I'm interested to hear everyone's opinion. If I can replicate the original folders that were on the reader, would that fix my problem? Or is there a file I've inadvertently erased which tells the reader where to find the files which is the problem? Has anyone had a similar problem? I tried to run the upgrade again on my friend's computer, but the upgrader won't allow me to do this. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Steve.
veste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
buttonpusher
buttonpusher began at the beginning.

Device: Skytex Primer
The last instruction you get when you upgrade it to format the HD in the ereader. That action remove all the contents and folders on the device.

To correct this I created new folders in the reader via my PC. Link the PC to it then use Windows explorer to create new folders were you can copy/move your files into them.

I've been doing that with the books and pictures that I have since loaded to mine after my upgrade.
buttonpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
veste

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonpusher View Post
The last instruction you get when you upgrade it to format the HD in the ereader. That action remove all the contents and folders on the device.

To correct this I created new folders in the reader via my PC. Link the PC to it then use Windows explorer to create new folders were you can copy/move your files into them.

I've been doing that with the books and pictures that I have since loaded to mine after my upgrade.
Thanks for responding.

I'm using a Mac which made the whole upgrading process more complicated since there is no Mac upgrader. When I finally finished upgrading on a friend's PC, it didn't ask to format it although I was expecting it to. When I brought it home and the Mac asked me to format it was when I had my problems.

I tried creating new folders, but I couldn't remember exactly what the folders were and how they were nested. I tried putting a folder called "books" onto the disk drive and dragging a book onto it, but when I turned on the primer it didn't show up.

When you open the reader's disk drive on your computer, could you tell me the file structure you see? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Steve.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
buttonpusher

Ii setup the following - Ebooks, Pictures, Recordings, Videos. Each are folders on the Primer.

I use a library software that loaded the actual books to the reader. That software setup individual folders by author with the books with in there. I have since moved all those books into my Ebooks folder.

I'm able to access and read all the books loaded there - so far.

Buttonpusher
Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
veste

I think I'm going to have to try and reformat it again. I tried creating the folders you suggested but it didn't seem to make a difference. The book in the Ebooks folder still won't appear in the primer menu.

I'm using Calibre, by the way, as a library software. What do you use?

Steve.
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
buttonpusher

I'm using the same software to track and load the ebooks to the device. I'm not trilled about the fact it creates folders for each author, author combinations then loads the book(s) into it.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
veste

Just an update. It seems that I was formatting the partition on the reader's disk drive, not the drive itself. I reformatted the drive using DiskUtility and got it back to working. Now I just have to get Adobe Digital Editions to recognize it (it's supposed to) and I can start downloading books from my public library, which is why I got the Primer in the first place.

Tags
skytex primer