Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #19786
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
...I suddenly get bored from reading? I don't feel like reading? I don't know what it is exactly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I've been battling the same problem for more than a month now. I really hate it.
I seem to be finally getting over my disinterest in reading (knock on wood). I've found a book that is holding my interest. It's The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) by Agatha Christie! I sure hope that I'm able to maintain this interest.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:04 AM   #19787
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I seem to be finally getting over my disinterest in reading (knock on wood). I've found a book that is holding my interest. It's The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) by Agatha Christie! I sure hope that I'm able to maintain this interest.

Same here! I've been reading and enjoying the books I've so far read! The Mysterious Affair at Styles is an excellent book. All of the books I've read by Christie thus far were page turners and compelling.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #19788
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just finished the May MobileRead Book Club Mystery/Thriller selection, The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling). It was quite enjoyable, well plotted, and I really enjoyed the chemistry between the protagonists. The only downside was that it seemed to me to be a bit padded.

Now it's on to the Mystery/Thriller that was nominated, got my vote, but lost: Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood, the novel in which he introduced Miss Phryne Fisher to the world. Oddly enough, a few days ago I inadvertently watched the TV episode produced by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation for their "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" series while looking through Netflix for something worth watching.
I'm also doing a (re-)reading of Cocaine Blues. After abandoning two books in a very short time, it's time for a known pleasure.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #19789
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished up Die Trying by Lee Child. Good thriller. I will read the next book at some point, whenever I decide to get it!

Moving on to Rescue Mode by Ben Bova & Les Johnson. Been looking forward to this one.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #19790
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Jut finished Sycamore Row by John Grisham and it was a typically good Grisham read.

Next up Arctic Wargame by Ethan Jones, the third in the Thriller Thirteen deal
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #19791
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm also doing a (re-)reading of Cocaine Blues. After abandoning two books in a very short time, it's time for a known pleasure.
Ah, what a pleasure that was! I think I'm going to just plough right on and read the next, Flying Too High.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:42 AM   #19792
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
This weekend I finished Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson and started The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:38 AM   #19793
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedotgreen View Post
This weekend I finished Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson.
While I love his work, I'm just not willing to start a long series with only the first two published.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Stories edited by Mike Ashley.
Just what it says on the tin. Although I could have done without "A Very Slow Time Machine". (I hate the ending.)

Next is the latest in the Grantville series, 1636: Commander Cantrell in the West Indies, by Eric Flint and Charles E. Gannon.

Nice to have the plot advancing again. Looking good so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #19794
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
I'm (re)reading Dean Koontz's House of Thunder. I read it several times as a teenager, but it has been long enough that I have mostly forgotten the ending. I can kind-of, sort-of remember it, but not fully. I was going to move on to one of my African fiction books, but I (inadvisedly) tried to start it on the tram. It was full of loud tourists and a bumpy ride, and concentrating on the beginning of what looks like a beautiful but complex and multilingual story proved beyond me. I shifted to something with a simpler narrative, and am enjoying my journey to my teen years. Nice and creepy book, too
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:55 AM   #19795
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Recently completed two SF books from my Baen backlist:

"My Brother's Keeper" by Charles Sheffield.

Lionel Salkind was a concert pianist. His twin brother, Leo Foss, was a researcher in government work that he couldn't talk about. Then the helicopter they were flying crashed. When he woke up, Lionel learned that both he and Leo had sustained fatal injuries, and he was only alive because the surgeon had used organs from Leo to repair Lionel's slightly less damaged body. More than half of Lionel's brain was gone, and had been replaced with Leo's. Lionel gradually starts to experience memories from Leo, and is drawn in to Leo's world of espionage. A good thriller.

"An Oblique Approach" by David Drake and Eric Flint.

The first book of the 6-book "Belisarius" military SF series.

In northern India the Malwa have created an empire of unexampled evil. Guided or possessed by an intelligence from beyond time, with new weapons, old treachery, and an implacable will to power, the Malwa will sweep over the whole Earth. Only three things stand between the Malwa and their plan of eternal domination: the empire of Rome in the East, Byzantium; a crystal with vision; and a man named Belisarius, the greatest commander Earth has ever know. . . .

Vaguely similar to the "General" series, but MUCH better, IMHO. If you like military SF, this is a "must read".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:05 AM   #19796
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I'm 38% into The Shining and I would have never guessed how much I'm enjoying it.
When I was a teenager I read Misery and The Green Mile but I wasn't impressed. At all. Maybe I was too young. Maybe... I don't know.

Fast forward to The Shining: even though I've seen the movie several times, the book is a pleasure to read, the story is flowing nicely and the suspense is building steadily
It took me longer than expected but I've finished The Shining. What a great book! Right away I've started The Cuckoo's Calling. I'm close to the one-third mark and so far I like the story. It's very easy to read and entertaining. By the way, this is the first J. K. Rowling book that I'm reading
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 AM   #19797
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

[...]

Vaguely similar to the "General" series, but MUCH better, IMHO. If you like military SF, this is a "must read".
I agree with the "must read" label. The outline by david Drake, written by Eric Flint is a great combination.

The six-volume series is available as a $20 bundle of the six books from Baen

It's also available as three omnibus editions, which might be a better buy if using a good coupon at Kobo.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:23 AM   #19798
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Recently completed two SF books from my Baen backlist:

"My Brother's Keeper" by Charles Sheffield.

Lionel Salkind was a concert pianist. His twin brother, Leo Foss, was a researcher in government work that he couldn't talk about. Then the helicopter they were flying crashed. When he woke up, Lionel learned that both he and Leo had sustained fatal injuries, and he was only alive because the surgeon had used organs from Leo to repair Lionel's slightly less damaged body. More than half of Lionel's brain was gone, and had been replaced with Leo's. Lionel gradually starts to experience memories from Leo, and is drawn in to Leo's world of espionage. A good thriller.

In northern India the Malwa have created an empire of unexampled evil. Guided or possessed by an intelligence from beyond time, with new weapons, old treachery, and an implacable will to power, the Malwa will sweep over the whole Earth. Only three things stand between the Malwa and their plan of eternal domination: the empire of Rome in the East, Byzantium; a crystal with vision; and a man named Belisarius, the greatest commander Earth has ever know. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I agree with the "must read" label. The outline by david Drake, written by Eric Flint is a great combination.

The six-volume series is available as a $20 bundle of the six books from Baen

It's also available as three omnibus editions, which might be a better buy if using a good coupon at Kobo.
I remember reading My Brother's Keeper somewhere in the early '80s and enjoyed it.
I also agree that the Belisarius Series is a must read for Military Science Fiction fans.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #19799
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Yikes. It's been a while since I posted in this thread, so I won't even attempt to catch up!

Last week I finally got around to the second Rachel Morgan / The Hollows book by Kim Harrison - I read the first one, Dead Witch Walking, quite some time ago and enjoyed it enough that I intended to continue but not really enough to be in a hurry to do that. In the meantime, I'd been picking up the next books in various Amazon sales, so now when I realised I have the first nine, well...

I enjoyed the second book The Good, the Bad and the Undead more than the first one (which IIRC suffered from massive infodumps in the beginning) and once I was done, moved straight on to the third book, Every Which Way But Dead. I'm about halfway done with that and liking it - although I think after this one I'll take a break again for something else.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #19800
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ah, what a pleasure that was! I think I'm going to just plough right on and read the next, Flying Too High.
Completed and enjoyed. Better than the first, and from here on out they mostly keep getting better as the characters develop over time.

Now reading The Chinese Shawl by Patricia Wentworth. This is #5 in the Miss Silver series and I'm enjoying it. That's good, since I abandoned #4 as being hopelessly annoying.