Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellboy View Post
Page turns are distracting. Less frequent page turns = easier absorption into the reading material. The K2 will always be a disappointment to me after having used the KDX.
We need to see what the new Epson controller will do. I have hopes (once more) for the 5-inch Astak. If page turns are fast enough it can solve the problem. The smaller devices are definitely easier to carry and hold.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #17
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
We need to see what the new Epson controller will do. I have hopes (once more) for the 5-inch Astak. If page turns are fast enough it can solve the problem. The smaller devices are definitely easier to carry and hold.
It's really not the speed so much, but the frequency of changing the screen.

Also, the larger screen allows better immersion, and less disruption of concentration. Larger screens make for a fuller experience. There is a reason why books are not 2"x4", even though it would make them more pocketable.

Kind of like watching a movie: I can do it on my phone, but it's better on a large screen.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Text lines that are too long, are hard to follow. I like a small font, so a screen no bigger than a paperback is best for me.

There's a reason newspapers and magazines use columns instead of a single line of text all the way across the page. And yes, we don't (normally) have 3" books... but we also don't print popular fiction on letter-size pages, even though that'd be cheaper to make.

If the column of text is too wide, it fails to provide the better immersion that larger pages are supposed to allow.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #19
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Text lines that are too long, are hard to follow....
True, but this is not the case with the current large e-reader screens, so I don't see how it applies.

Unless someone has problems reading a hard-cover book, they'll be able to enjoy the current large screens (such as the Kindle DX.) In fact, the 9.7" screen of the DX is still smaller than most hard-covers.

Magazines are considerable larger than books, and generally use smaller font size. Thus they use the two or more columns format.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #20
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
True, but this is not the case with the current large e-reader screens, so I don't see how it applies.
It's a problem I have with some books on my Sony PRS-505. When the font is set at the size I'm most comfortable reading, the text lines are just a little too long.

Quote:
Unless someone has problems reading a hard-cover book,
That'd be me.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #21
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
That'd be me.
Have you tried moving the hair off your eyes...?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #22
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Larger screens are better for some people for some uses.

The same is true of smaller.

One size does not fit all.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #23
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
My DX definitely has better contrast than my K2 or my ex-K1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Just FYI, my KDX background is slightly but noticeably lighter than my K2 background. And when I compared my K2 background to a dozen other K1s and K2s, mine was the lightest background there (though they are all nearly identical). I've read several K2 owners who said their KDX is more readable.
That is exactly the feedback I was interested in. While I am not going to pop for a KDX tomorrow, I had an intuition that the overall size of the panel will give a higher percentage of "white space" which in turn could equate to more light being reflected back to the reader's eyes. If that was the case I was getting a sense it would create, even if it's sort of a "special effects" sort of thing, a display that feels more contrasty with the characters standing out more.

I would bet that if one were to look at the same sized sections of a K2 and KDX panels, the color levels and contrast ratios would be the same...BUT, using the panels at their full size, the larger panel might appear to have a whiter background and darker characters. That could lead to a more paper like reading environment.

Again that was a pure thought experiment on my side as I know nobody with a KDX and do not plan on buying one.

EDIT: Neeeever mind this part of my post...brain cloud...thanks Sonist!!

Quote:
For everyone else bantering about the ideal this and reading preference that, you missed the point of the question. The question was pretty clear and pretty much requires actually having used the devices in question, preferably at the same time.
I think the points made in this thread are interesting and sort of offer something worth looking at in more detail as more devices come out using the same cookie cutter components.

Last edited by brecklundin; 06-17-2009 at 11:43 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #24
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
my DX is just enough to satisfy my needs..
Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #25
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
For everyone else bantering about the ideal this and reading preference that, you missed the point of the question....
Bleh, then you have to learn to pose clear questions....

The 9.7" screen presents a view more like that the page of a p-book, smaller than a hard-cover, and roughly 30% larger than a paperback.

The 6" Kindle shows about one third less real estate, than a paperback page.

So, for those who prefer hard-covers, and find micro editions unpleasant to read, the large screen is more appealing.

And, your intuition is wrong. If you were asking about brightness, the Kindle DX screen IS a tad brighter, than the Kindle v.2. If you cover the screens, so as to show the same size square on both devices, the DX screen still appears a shade lighter. (The iLiad BE screen is a tad lighter than the K2 as well.)

But both Kindles are readable, and unless you have them next to each other, and you are examining them, you wouldn't notice it. But, the DX also has a slightly greater font weight, which helps too.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #26
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Bleh, then you have to learn to pose clear questions....

The 9.7" screen presents a view more like that the page of a p-book, smaller than a hard-cover, and roughly 30% larger than a paperback.

The 6" Kindle shows about one third less real estate, than a paperback page.

So, for those who prefer hard-covers, and find micro editions unpleasant to read, the large screen is more appealing.

And, your intuition is wrong. If you were asking about brightness, the Kindle DX screen IS a tad brighter, than the Kindle v.2. If you cover the screens, so as to show the same size square on both devices, the DX screen still appears a shade lighter. (The iLiad BE screen is a tad lighter than the K2 as well.)

But both Kindles are readable, and unless you have them next to each other, and you are examining them, you wouldn't notice it. But, the DX also has a slightly greater font weight, which helps too.
Oh jeeze, you are correct...I was thinking about the thread I originally was going to start...so, neeeever mind...hahahaha...I had a brain cloud!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #27
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Tallmomof2, do you prefer reading a novel with your K2 or with your KDX?

Personally, I prefer reading on the KDX, but it's a close call. The KDX is definately heavier, and I usually end up holding it with two hands, but when it comes down to it, I prefer the larger screen which allows fewer page turns. When it comes to books that aren't novels the KDX wins decisively.

One more thing, I usually read at home. This means I normally don't lug my Kindle around with me (unless I'm flying), so portability isn't that big of a concern for me. If you take your reader with you wherever you go then a K2 might be preferable. Didn't somebody say they carry their Kindle in their pocket? Their pockets must be enourmous.

BTW, my KDX's background is definately lighter than my K1.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #28
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Daithi -

When I'm home I definitely prefer the DX for reading novels because of the screen size but it is quite heavy and the right hand only buttons distract me because I keep trying to press the non-existent left hand side buttons.

I have a nice lap desk that I use with my laptop that works great with the DX since the back of the lap desk tilts. Also, M-Edge has DX cases that open like a steno pad and can be used to stand the DX upright for reading at a table or desk.

Personally, I like reading anything on a larger screen because I don't have to turn the page as frequently.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I suspect another factor is the text is bigger on the DX. A document on the DX will show larger text even though the font size is the same due to the fact that the ppi is lower. It is only about 150 on the DX while it is 167 on a 6" device and will be 200 ppi on the 5" when they are released. While some vocal people insist that 600 ppi is needed to comfortably read I believe more people just like the font a little bigger and unconsciously like it better.

It will be interesting to see if the 200 ppi will grab anyone's attention as being superior to the 167 ppi on 6" devices. I am waiting for everyone to weigh in once they start using these devices. If 5" devices turn out to be better in the long run for the reading experience I would expect 6" devices to migrate to a 768 x 1024 screen.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote