Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #17536
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Just started Tamarack County by William Kent Krueger.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #17537
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just started - The Dead Virgins - by Kevin Ashman. So far I'm really impressed. I bought it because it was...ahem...free and the historical part sounded good. Exceeding my expectations to date, can't wait to get back to it.
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #17538
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Have you read the "Dreamers" series?

My libarary does not have the "The Belgariad" ebooks but they do have "Dreamers" - figured i would give that a try and if i find that enjoyable i would fork over the money for the series you are quite enthusiastic about
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, and I'm afraid I think it's just awful. I love Eddings's work, but that series, which was the last thing he wrote, is a real stinker.
Interestingly, I was sure that he was talking about Dreamer by Steven Harper, first in his Silent Empire series. Now *that* was a very good SF series.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #17539
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
The fourth book is quite good too, but as you mentioned its way far into the future. I knew there was going to be a 5th, glad to hear it will be here next year.
With "trilogy proper" I don't mean to put down the fourth book; I haven't read it so I can't judge. I'm glad that it's a good start to, what I assume will be, a new sub-series inside the Mistborn series.

I'm now 65% in and I can't help but wonder how everything will be solved by the end, he keeps introducing new things, some explain the world but others thrown up new questions.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #17540
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Analog SF/F, November 2013.
Which was excellent. I really liked the two main stories.

Next up: a freebie that caught my eye: The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox.

Not too promising as yet, but I'll give it a bit longer.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #17541
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Just finished Colin Dexter's inspector Morse Service of All The Dead. Quite enjoyable, looking forward to reading more.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #17542
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Which was excellent. I really liked the two main stories.

Next up: a freebie that caught my eye: The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox.

Let me know. I also picked it up free.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #17543
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I loved Sarah Caudwell's Thus Was Adonis Murdered, and the rest of the series. I re-read them periodically- some of the passages have me laughing uproariously. They are literate, clever, droll and wonderful.
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #17544
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyISbetter View Post
I loved Sarah Caudwell's Thus Was Adonis Murdered, and the rest of the series. I re-read them periodically- some of the passages have me laughing uproariously. They are literate, clever, droll and wonderful.
I loved it beginning to end. I even found myself reading slowly because I was savoring the wit and didn't want it to end. I don't remember a funnier book.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #17545
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I started "The Historian," by Elizabeth Kostova, with the intention of reading only a few pages. Now I find I can't stop!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #17546
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I finished Barbara Pym's Excellent Women, and it was excellent, quite funny.

For example (echo of Crampton Hodnet)

"In the train we read the school magazine, taking a secret pleasure in belittling some of these Old Girls who had done well and rejoicing over those who had failed to fulfil their early promise."
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #17547
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I started "The Historian," by Elizabeth Kostova, with the intention of reading only a few pages. Now I find I can't stop!

Don
Good book. Scared the bejasus out of my wife.

Currently reading the third Sandman Slim novel, Aloha From Hell by Richard Kadrey (as recommended by @CWatkinsNash). Lots of fun as Slim heads back to hell...

Last edited by orlok; 08-31-2013 at 12:51 PM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #17548
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Let me know. I also picked it up free.
Apache
I enjoyed it enough to purchase #2 immediately afterward. It was the biker-grandma thing that hooked me! (Being of the grandma persuasion.)
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #17549
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Reading Sarah Hoyt's A Few Good Men. A sequel to Darkship Thieves and Darkship Renegades. Sadly, this series which started so very promisingly with Darkship Thieves has gone downhill since and this one is not encouraging for the rest that are to follow. I may finish it, but I can't recommend it, and won't be buying later ones.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #17550
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I wasn't too impressed with Terry Goodkind's new book The Third Kingdom. I don't know, after 12 or 13 books the series might be starting to drag on for me. There just wasn't enough action to keep me that interested. I still like the characters, but the story just wasn't that good. I'm glad I borrowed from the library instead of paying $13.99

I think I'm in the mood for romance, so I am going to read Canyon & Hidden Pleasures by Brenda Jackson.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote