Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #1726
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondawg View Post
If I understand correctly (can't read all 115 pages, sorry!), the Collections plugin does not work with the K Touch, and thus will not work with the Paperwhite since it is really a revised K Touch. Since the Paperwhite looks like it will be a blockbluster in sales, is there any chance of developing perhaps a new collections plugin so that we can organize our collections on Calibre? It was such a wonderful solution for my Kindle3, and it's going to be hard to live without it!
The PaperWhite will have the same issue as the original Touch. There's nothing that can be changed in the plugin to get it to work with collections since Amazon changed the way they manage them. There may be hacks available so try the developer's forum, but use at your own risk.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #1727
saxondawg
Connoisseur
saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle paperwhite
I understood this. I guess my question really is, Is it not possible to write a different plug-in based on the way the Touch behaves and the way Amazon now organizes collections? There would certainly be a lot of interest in it.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #1728
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@saxondawg - the issue is *not* the plugin, it is the newer Kindles that are the problem. Amazon changed the firmware so that the place where collections are stored is private on the device and *no* external program can get to it. The only solutions to this have involved hacked firmware, which as meme says above is not something he wants to have to try to support (or take the blame for encouraging people to do so).
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #1729
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
You could try kindlean, which is not free. Or you could use kindle for pc/mac to manage your collections but that is tedious. I purchased the kindlean before I gave up on the Touch but I plan to go back to it since I purchased the PW.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #1730
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
You could try kindlean, which is not free. Or you could use kindle for pc/mac to manage your collections but that is tedious. I purchased the kindlean before I gave up on the Touch but I plan to go back to it since I purchased the PW.
I have the paid version of Kindlean & tried it with my PW last night. It doesn't recognize the PW
Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #1731
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I have the paid version of Kindlean & tried it with my PW last night. It doesn't recognize the PW
Oh now that is disappointing, my PW arrives today, guess I better prepare my K4PC to import from there.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #1732
deWord
deWord began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi all i'm new here.
I am using amazon kindle 3.

Question#1: Can you nest Collections like a normal file structure?

example:
genre -> author -> book_file
and so on,

Question#2: Can I force my kindle to sort collections alphabetically?
Currently it sorts my collections, first to last opened/read.

Thanks for you're help
Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #1733
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Oh now that is disappointing, my PW arrives today, guess I better prepare my K4PC to import from there.
I've never used K4PC - is the Collections functionality any good?

Old 10-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #1734
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
deWord:

No, Kindle collections are more like tags than folders. You can have books in more than one collection, but they do not nest (though I wish they did).

You can tell the plugin to sort your collections alphabetically, but as you read they will unsort (if you're sorting by collection on the Kindle). If you sort by title on the Kindle, the collections will stay in alpha order but sort in among your books. This leaves two options. Sort alphabetically on the Kindle and use a prefix that will put the collections at the top, or sort by collections on the Kindle and re-do the collections regularly to put them back in order.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #1735
deWord
deWord began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Vaessse, thank you.

Solved it by moving all unsorted books in to a collection named unsorted (yeh very original i know) and using the alphabeticall view.

I'm guessing that toggling visibility of a certain type of collection is out of the question es well...
Old 10-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #1736
dawniefitzgerald
dawniefitzgerald began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
error message with custom fonts-calibre-kindle

hi, ive been trying all day to customise fonts of kindle with calibre plug in: im changing font name to ttf, putting them into newly created font file in kindle e drive, but when i use plug in i get an error message and the new custom font doesnt show. Im trying to do this so my partner who is severely visually impaired can read my kindle. What am i doing wrong, please help...
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #1737
bonzi
Enthusiast
bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2i, K3/KK WiFi, Basic (old), 2xFire, 2xPW (old), Voyage, Scribe
Post Touch & PW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@saxondawg - the issue is *not* the plugin, it is the newer Kindles that are the problem. Amazon changed the firmware so that the place where collections are stored is private on the device and *no* external program can get to it. The only solutions to this have involved hacked firmware, which as meme says above is not something he wants to have to try to support (or take the blame for encouraging people to do so).
I am not an expert, but Kindlean (a commercial collection manager) claims to be working with Touch. I have it (and this plugin, and another freeware... I am a hoarder ), but since I don't have Touch I wasn't able to verify the claim. PW is on its way, so we shall see. If it does work, that would mean that collection data is somehow accessible via USB (my understanding of some other exchange on the topic was that what was in json file is now in SQLite database or something...)

Edit: just saw another post: apparently, PW is not recognized by Kindlean...

Last edited by bonzi; 10-05-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #1738
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@bonzi: And kindlean actually does jailbreak your device (wondering what those '7 easy steps' were? It's a jailbreak.). And then does god knows what inside your device, since it's closed source, and I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole to get more details about what it's actually trying to do...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-06-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #1739
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I've never used K4PC - is the Collections functionality any good?

Not really, but it's free and you can import the collections from there into the PW.

Though for me I used the plugboards to put the collection name on the title page to make it easier to put the books into collections on my PW. It took me about 2 hours to put over 600 books into collections. I am going to miss this plugin.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #1740
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
@meme quick question, I was given a Kindle 4 (non Touch the cheap model) today, I added my books as a backup exercise and clicked on create collections now instead of getting a collection called Free Books I get collections called

Free BooksAmazonHistoryBiography@
AmazonAmazonHistoryBiography@

Any ideas? the settings look the same as 2 working K3 Keyboards
Closed Thread