Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
buddy63
buddy63 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
sharing books between sony ereaders

hi, I am new to posting on forums
I have a sony prs 600 and really like it but I would like to share the books that I have purchased with my sister who also has one but lives in a different town, is there a way that this can be done.
buddy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
That's the main reason why I only have liberated e-books.
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
If you guys register your ereaders to the same account you can.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
In order to share DRM'ed books with your sister, you'd have to add her to your account. Then she'd have access to all the books in your library. But, be aware she'd also be able to buy books on your account (with your credit card) as well.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
In order to share DRM'ed books with your sister, you'd have to add her to your account. Then she'd have access to all the books in your library. But, be aware she'd also be able to buy books on your account (with your credit card) as well.
Not necessarily. He can activate/authorize her reader on his computer when she comes to visit or something. Once the reader is authorized, he can just share DRM'ed ePub/PDF with her (via email or SkyDrive or Dropbox or something) and she can just drag and drop DRM'ed ePub/PDF to her reader using any file manager.

Actually, since the DRM can be handled by Adobe Digital Editions and there are various ebook stores around that support Adobe ePub/PDF, he can use completely different log-ins for the purchases and activation.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Actually, since the DRM can be handled by Adobe Digital Editions and there are various ebook stores around that support Adobe ePub/PDF, he can use completely different log-ins for the purchases and activation.
If you want to read a book on a reader authorized to adobe id "toto", you have to purchase and download the book with a version of ADE authorized to user "toto".

A book downloaded one with a user cannot be downloaded with an other adobe id afterwards.
And there is a 3 time download limit.

Spare yourself some pain, liberate your books.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
If you want to read a book on a reader authorized to adobe id "toto", you have to purchase and download the book with a version of ADE authorized to user "toto".

A book downloaded one with a user cannot be downloaded with an other adobe id afterwards.
And there is a 3 time download limit.

Spare yourself some pain, liberate your books.
I do use inept to de-DRM my books. Being able to strip the DRM is one of my major requirements when buying ebooks. That's why for a long time, I've been buying Microsoft LIT before inept was released.

Just saying, once you've downloaded the ePub, it's usable on any computer or device that's been authorized to the same account. You don't have to re-download it using the .acsm link. When I gave away the laptop I was using for Adobe Digital Editions, I accidentally copied DRM'ed ePubs (I have both DRM'ed and unDRM'ed versions backed up to a separate drive) to my new laptop. Surprisingly, it worked just fine without any futzing around on my part (after authorizing the new laptop with ADE, of course).

As for the comment about being able to use different log-ins - yes, you have to download and authorize an ebook with Adobe ID "toto" if you want to read it on a device authorized with the Adobe ID "toto". However, you can use the account name "dorothy" on Kobo, "lion" on BooksOnBoard and "scarecrow" on Fictionwise, and as long as you use a computer authorized with the Adobe ID "toto" to download the actual ePub using the .acsm file, the ePub will be readable on ADE and the ebook reader.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote