Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre cover problem

Hi, I need some help with Calibre.

I converted a text file to epub in Calibre and generated a cover in Edit metadata. Then I transferred it to my Go, and realized the title and author information should be changed.

I opened the file again in Calibre, and in Edit metadata changed the cover info. The cover picture changed to reflect the new title/author, so I clicked OK and then opened the file... but the old cover was still there.

I've seen so many positive comments about Calibre that I presume I'm missing something obvious. Can someone please point it out to me?

Thanks.
Tom K.

UPDATE: I think I found the problem. I wasn't "Saving to disk" after changing the cover.

Last edited by tkavan; 02-19-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: UPDATED...Found the solution.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Sometimes the Kobo reader will use the old cover that is still in memory instead of the new cover from the updated book. If this happens then powering off/on seems to fix it by causing the covers in memory to be reloaded from file.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Sometimes the Kobo reader will use the old cover that is still in memory instead of the new cover from the updated book. If this happens then powering off/on seems to fix it by causing the covers in memory to be reloaded from file.
Thanks, Geoff. I'll keep that in mind.
Tom
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Tom,

You have sort of found it, but also not completely found what is happening.

When you edit metadata in calibre, the actual book is not updated. Only the database that calibre uses is updated. The metadata in the actual book is only updated when you get calibre to send the book outside its library. As you found, it happens when you do a save to disk, it also happens with a send to device. But, calibre is only updating the it has created outside the library. If you open the book from calibre, it won't have changed.

You can get the metadata updated in the library copy of the book. The traditional way to do it is a conversion to the same type. But, it can be done with the Modify ePub plugin. And in the latest version of calibre, the "Polish books" function has been added that can do it.

There is another issue with this that is specific to Kobo devices and is part of what Geoff was referring to. When you send a book to the Kobo device, it process the book and adds it to the internal database. The details of the book are displayed from there. If you replace the book with a new copy that has changed metadata, the book isn't reprocessed to get the updated metadata. There isn't a way to fix this at the moment other than deleting the book from the device first.

The covers are a little different. If the book is in the main memory of the device, the device generates the cover as needed and saves the image file for later use. When the book is resent, this doesn't trigger the covers to be regenerated. But, there is an option in the calibre driver that will replace existing cover images. If the book is on the micro SD card, the cover is generated each time it is needed and not save. Replacing that book should use the new cover from the book straight away.

Because of the above, I have on my todo list for the Kobo driver to add a "Remove covers on resend" option. Updating the metadata is also something to do, but I am thinking of a different approach to start with.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Tom,
You have sort of found it, but also not completely found what is happening.
David...

Thanks for the detailed explanation regarding my problem.

Could I ask a question on a different topic?

The item I was talking about was a book review, not a book. I had it as a text file, and converted it to epub using an online converter. When I opened it in Calibre, all the quotation marks and apostrophes were replaced by little boxes... hollow squares.

I couldn't find any way to fix that in Calibre, so I used Calibre to generate the epub file, and all was OK. Which I guess makes sense.

But is there a way to edit files in Calibre? To use a search-and-replace for example to fix problems or do text formatting? Or do you have to do all that before converting it to an epub? And if the answer to the last question is "Yes," what's the best format to work in to prepare a file for Calibre to convert to epub?

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by tkavan; 02-19-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
The item I was talking about was a book review, not a book. I had it as a text file, and converted it to epub using an online converter. When I opened it in Calibre, all the quotation marks and apostrophes were replaced by little boxes... hollow squares.

I couldn't find any way to fix that in Calibre, so I used Calibre to generate the epub file, and all was OK. Which I guess makes sense.
They could be unicode characters. Try doing the the conversion in yourself in calibre. On the "Look & Feel" page of the conversion settings, there is an option to "Transliterate unicode characters to ASCII". That might solve it.

Trying the conversion yourself is a good idea even if you don't change any settings. A lot of on-line conversions sites use calibre for the conversion, but are using an old version. The current version usually does a better job.
Quote:
But is there a way to edit files in Calibre? To use a search-and-replace for example to fix problems or do text formatting? Or do you have to do all that before converting it to an epub? And if the answer to the last question is "Yes," what's the best format to work in to prepare a file for Calibre to convert to epub?
If you have an epub in calibre, you can use the "Tweak book" option to expand the epub and then edit the files. The files you need to edit are HTML, so you can use a text editor. I do this for small changes. For larger changes, I use Sigil. This is a dedicate ePub editor.

Best format for input to the conversion is probably HTML. epubs are really a zip container with HTML files in them. That means if you have a nicely formatted HTML file, the epub should be OK. But, calibre does a reasonable conversion of most formats, so it really depends on where you are getting the text from and what you are comfortable with. If you are writing a novel in Word, then you can save it as HTML, and convert that (there are ways to improve this). If you have plain text, start with that and then edit in Sigil to change formatting. If you have mobi files, the conversion is very good.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
They could be unicode characters. Try doing the the conversion in yourself in calibre. On the "Look & Feel" page of the conversion settings, there is an option to "Transliterate unicode characters to ASCII". That might solve it.

Trying the conversion yourself is a good idea even if you don't change any settings. A lot of on-line conversions sites use calibre for the conversion, but are using an old version. The current version usually does a better job.

If you have an epub in calibre, you can use the "Tweak book" option to expand the epub and then edit the files. The files you need to edit are HTML, so you can use a text editor. I do this for small changes. For larger changes, I use Sigil. This is a dedicate ePub editor.

Best format for input to the conversion is probably HTML. epubs are really a zip container with HTML files in them. That means if you have a nicely formatted HTML file, the epub should be OK. But, calibre does a reasonable conversion of most formats, so it really depends on where you are getting the text from and what you are comfortable with. If you are writing a novel in Word, then you can save it as HTML, and convert that (there are ways to improve this). If you have plain text, start with that and then edit in Sigil to change formatting. If you have mobi files, the conversion is very good.
Thanks, David, for the detailed explanation and information. I appreciate your taking the time. I've downloaded Sigil and will us it as well as Calibre in future.
Tom
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

There is another issue with this that is specific to Kobo devices and is part of what Geoff was referring to. When you send a book to the Kobo device, it process the book and adds it to the internal database. The details of the book are displayed from there. If you replace the book with a new copy that has changed metadata, the book isn't reprocessed to get the updated metadata. There isn't a way to fix this at the moment other than deleting the book from the device first.

I'm not sure if deleting is all that is required, or maybe "deleting" is to ambiguous.

I'm not sure if this is related but...

I often need to update a book using calibre. If I do the following, Kobo doesn't see the book:

1) delete the book on the Kobo
2) plug in the Kobo
2) Start calibre (calibre shows the book isn't on the device)
3) send the book to the Kobo (using send from calibre)
4) eject and unplug the Kobo

The book doesn't show up on the Kobo .

If I do the following:

2) plug the Kobo in
3) eject and unplug the Kobo
4) wait for it to finish processing content
5) plug the device in'
6) use calibre to transfer the book
7) eject

The book appears on the Kobo .

So now I always do an extra plug/unplug cycle. I needed to this on the Touch, so now I do it on the Glo. This maybe voodoo, but it works.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
goesta
goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
I have on my todo list for the Kobo driver to add a "Remove covers on resend" option. Updating the metadata is also something to do, but I am thinking of a different approach to start with.
This sounds like a most excellent improvement, which I would be much obliged for. Especially since deleting from (using calibre, rather than locally using the device, I mean) and resending a book to the Kobo (Glo in my case) doesn't always (ever?) seem to result in the expected update to the cover on the device. Unless I'm missing a setting in the driver that would currently remedy this.

Cheers!
goesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm not sure if deleting is all that is required, or maybe "deleting" is to ambiguous.

I often need to update a book using calibre. If I do the following, Kobo doesn't see the book:

2) plug in the Kobo
2) Start calibre (calibre shows the book isn't on the device)
3) send the book to the Kobo (using send from calibre)
4) eject and unplug the Kobo

The book doesn't show up on the Kobo .
I can only say that it works for me. I did realise I hadn't tried it with FW2.4.0, but it did for a test book.
Quote:
If I do the following:

2) plug the Kobo in
3) eject and unplug the Kobo
4) wait for it to finish processing content
5) plug the device in'
6) use calibre to transfer the book
7) eject

So now I always do an extra plug/unplug cycle. I needed to this on the Touch, so now I do it on the Glo. This maybe voodoo, but it works.
One of the firmware versions left a row in the database when deleting a book. If a replacement was sent before that row was deleted, then it wasn't picked up. The firmware deleted the row when you synced to the Kobo server. And I added code to delete the row if you resend the book from calibre. From memory, this was FW2.0.0 and possibly 2.1.1.

What happens if you delete the book from the device using calibre and then send it again?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goesta View Post
This sounds like a most excellent improvement, which I would be much obliged for. Especially since deleting from (using calibre, rather than locally using the device, I mean) and resending a book to the Kobo (Glo in my case) doesn't always (ever?) seem to result in the expected update to the cover on the device. Unless I'm missing a setting in the driver that would currently remedy this.
I hope to get to it this weekend. The only question is whether an option is needed or whether it should happen no matter what.

Right now, if you set the "Upload cover" option, it will replace the covers that have been generated on the device for a book when you resend book. There will be differences in the covers displayed because the device generates them from the first page of the book but calibre is using whatever cover it has in the metadata and resizing it.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

... text deleted ...

My standard procedure is to delete the book(s) on the Kobo and then to power cycle it. Dates back to my Kobo WiFi where I had issues replacing books unless I power cycled after deleting them. Works on the Touch and now the Glo so I just keep following that procedure.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 02-20-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: deleted much of the quoted message to shorten the message
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My standard procedure is to delete the book(s) on the Kobo and then to power cycle it. Dates back to my Kobo WiFi where I had issues replacing books unless I power cycled after deleting them. Works on the Touch and now the Glo so I just keep following that procedure.
I have never done that with my Touch or Glo with any firmware. With the previous calibre driver, I always deleted on the device and then just connect and resent. With the current driver, I do the same or I delete from calibre.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I have never done that with my Touch or Glo with any firmware. With the previous calibre driver, I always deleted on the device and then just connect and resent. With the current driver, I do the same or I delete from calibre.
As I commented, this dates back to the original firmware on the Kobo WiFi. Just became a habit which doesn't seem to hurt anything and -- knock wood -- I haven't seen issues with covers not changing when a book has been replaced. If it ain't broke, don't fixpak it.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
goesta
goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
There will be differences in the covers displayed because the device generates them from the first page of the book but calibre is using whatever cover it has in the metadata and resizing it.
Ah, so maybe that's what's happening to me.

I created some eBooks in Sigil from text files, and then just added a cover image using metadata in calibre. But on the Glo the "cover" shows the first page of text. I had assumed it would reference the image in the metadata and not actually need an image within the ePub file. Thanks!
goesta is offline   Reply With Quote