Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
livfoss
livfoss began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
"No available formats" for Calibre, works with Adobe DE

I'm a newbie, trying to use Calibre to get books in a format my Kindle can read. As an experiment I downloaded an ePUB version of a free book from the Gutenberg project - The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope. It looks OK and I can see the cover and details in the right hand part of the Calibre window; furthermore I can open it and read it with Adobe Digital Editions (it should be DRM-free), but when I try to view it in Calibre, I get this message

The Prisoner of Zenda has no available formats

What does this mean and what can I do about it. I have tried to look in this forum and also looked at Calibre documentation but I have obviously missed something massive.

(BTW I realise I could download a text copy of this book directly, but right now I'm trying to understand ePUB and the conversion process).

TIA
livfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The chances are that you did not actually load an epub file into Calibre? What formats does calibre show in the book entry in question.

ADE normally works in a 2-stage process. The first one gets a shortcut to the file. When you use the shortcurt within ADE it downloads the actual epub file. This epub file is the one that calibre will use.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
ADE normally works in a 2-stage process. The first one gets a shortcut to the file. When you use the shortcurt within ADE it downloads the actual epub file. This epub file is the one that calibre will use.
ADE only works this when when acquiring DRMd books from Adobe's servers. The OP has a non-DRM public domain book downloaded from Project Gutenberg. These are downloaded directly using a browser and can then be opened in ADE, opened directly in calibre's ebook-viewer.exe, and/or imported into calibre's library. If added to calibre's library they can then be viewed in calibre's viewer using the library interface.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I downloaded it from here

Seems to work perfectly here - both viewing it directly and by adding to Calibre and then opening the viewer.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I know you're only trying to figure out ePub and the conversion process with calibre (and I wish you luck in that endeavor), but I highly recommend downloading the Prizoner of Zenda from MobileRead's library instead: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...Prisoner+Zenda

It sounds like you may already have an empty book by that name in your calibre library. And since the empty ebook is already present, all subsequent imports of the same ebook will fail (depending on how you have calibre configured to handle duplicates.)

Make sure you remove any existing (empty) ebooks entitled "The Prizoner of Zenda" from your calibre library (be careful! That's just a personal recommendation, don't go deleting books from your library willy-nilly because some guy on the internet said to) and try importing the epub again. An empty title will have no formats listed under the cover image in the book detail pane.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-09-2011 at 04:01 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
It may mean that you don't have ePub checked to open in the calibre viewer and must not have it set to automatically open with any other application.

Go to preferences - behavior and make sure epub is checked in the "Use internal viewer for" window.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error messages