Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
miwie
Connoisseur
miwie began at the beginning.

Device: Android, PB Pro 602
Fetching single article

Which is the best approach to fetch a single (probably lenghty) article to create an EPUB file to be read in an Ereader?
miwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by miwie View Post
Which is the best approach to fetch a single (probably lenghty) article to create an EPUB file to be read in an Ereader?
I'd use parse_index and manually create a feed with your single article in it. See: http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ownloaded-html
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Wouldn't a naive solution - downloading the file and feeding it to ebook-convert.py - not work?
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
miwie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
Wouldn't a naive solution - downloading the file and feeding it to ebook-convert.py - not work?
At first sight this works. Will investigate it further.
Thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
It didn't sound like a "file" to me. It sounded like he had an article with advertisements, links to other articles, links to related subject matter, Facebook SHARE icons and the like that he wants to strip. Recipes will do that easily. If it's just a really clean page, then saving the html page and converting will also work.
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
yeah, by 'file' I meant mainly html but possibly other format that can be inputted to Calibre.
I guess in many cases just saving the printer-friendly page and converting could provide reasonable results.
If one wants to play with it and remove elements then of course recipes are a great way to do it but the OP question sounded to me more like he wanted a quick way to convert an article when he finds an interesting (lengthy enough) one. I did not mention more complex solutions since you have before already (and since I do not know anything else than that)
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I guess in many cases just saving the printer-friendly page and converting could provide reasonable results.
Yes. I tend to see questions here as recipe related, but you are right that for a quick download of a printer friendly single article, it's best to just save the page and drag the html into Calibre. No recipe is needed in that situation.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
miwie
Connoisseur

Thanks for your suggestions!
My original intention was to find a quick (and possibly dirty) solution and I will go for the Save HTML page one.