Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
First update to the latest calibre, your version is very old. Second, turn off metadata reading for PDF files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #17
jkzfixme
jkzfixme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
kovidgoyal,
Thank you very much for the advice. It worked out perfectly. I will be sure to utilize the donate button to buy you a beer.
jkzfixme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
IrishEyes
IrishEyes began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch, nook HD+
I've only got a dual core Intel processor in my two year old laptop and when my son installed Calibre and a library the same size as yours it only took a few hours. But he used Calibre version 0.7.35 while you are using 0.7.18. Try updating to the latest version and see if it helps. I know I read somewhere that the newer versions sped up the handling of large libraries.

The newest version is 0.7.42 (which adds some nice new features btw). Get it here:
http://calibre-ebook.com/download

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkzfixme View Post
I got a Kindle 3, and through various postings found Calibre to be the only real player in the ebook field. I was actually pretty OK with that, as I have heard many favorable things about Calibre. Setup was painless and it immediately recognized my kindle 3. The problem started when I tried to import my relatively large Ebook collection. I am trying to import 5,000 + or - at a time.

While it is importing it pegs the processor .... I mean everything it can get, as well as maxing out the memory. I have a rather extensive collection of books and that was only one folder. The problem being that it took 3 days to import those, and I have 6-7 other folders I would like in the database with similar size and structure.

My system is relatively old but still pretty snappy

AMD Phenom(tm) 9600 Quad-Core Processor
4 Gb DDR2
2.6.35-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux
Python 2.6.6
Calibre 0.7.18

Any words from the wise would be greatly appreciated !
IrishEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #19
jkzfixme
jkzfixme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks IrishEyes , as it turns out it was just the old version. Is there a place to mark an issue as resolved on this board ?
jkzfixme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre runs on a 2G Celeron (1G Ram), XP SP3 when I need it.
My Normal is a P4-3.2GHz 800M FSB (no slouch in it's day ) Not Instant, but it gives me time to fill my coffee cup, pet the cats.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #21
digid
digid began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle 3
I am having a slow down also, on OSX, latest version, 4 gig of ram 3 year old laptop. It has gotten so bad that it is next to impossible to use. I will admit that the library has over 11,000 books at the moment. Just to do a search it takes a few min for it to return. Is there anything I can do, I hate to have to split the library up! I am assuming it is the number of books as it gets slower and slower all the time.
digid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by digid View Post
I am having a slow down also, on OSX, latest version, 4 gig of ram 3 year old laptop. It has gotten so bad that it is next to impossible to use.
  • Are you running your library on a local drive or on the network, using something like a NAS device?
  • What version of OSX are you running?
  • What version of calibre are you running?
I have found from experience that users saying they're running the latest version doesn't tell us anything. Are you running the current version 0.7.42? This can be seen in the status bar in lower left hand side of calibre.
  • Describe exactly items or processes that you find slow.
One of my libraries is 12500 books and there is no slowness problem on a basic office computer (core2duo, 2ghz, 3.5g of ram) running Windows XP. Many optimizations were implemented in the last 6 months that sped up searches so I don't think you should be seeing the delays you describe.

After you add in some specifics other OSX users might be able to help out.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-24-2011 at 12:12 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
koray
koray began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
What do you do with that many books?

Sorry, out of topic, but what do you do with thousands of books? You really don't read them, right? Like those MP3 files which are not listened to?

:-)

K.
koray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #24
Stumbl
Thread Killer
Stumbl began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
To the OP...
Your system seems fairly robust , except I would increase the memory to 4 gig minimum (if the operating system has to page into and out of your memory , it will throw usage to 100% ).
It has also been shown that if your system needs to be defragmented , it will make a large difference ( specifically , the disk with Calibre library. But I would not neglect the OS disk as well.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Stumbl; 02-15-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added page file info
Stumbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cpu, excessive, problem, slow, utilization