Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Algonquin Hotel provides Kindle loans

If you happen to be staying at the Algonquin Hotel in New York City, you can borrow a Kindle for your reading fix. The Hotel amenities web page says "Kindle available, loaded with your favorite audio book, in keeping with our literary tradition. However, it might still be a while until you see Kindles at your local Best Western.

According to HotelChatter, "The Algonquin has launched an 'eBooks on Demand' program which offers Kindles pre-loaded with 'a variety of best-sellers, modern classics' and even a few books written by the members of the hotels legendary Round Table (Fanny Herself by Edna Ferber, Love Conquers All by Robert Benchley). And if you request a book that isn't loaded on there, the hotel can add it for you.The devices are loaned on a first come, first serve basis at no charge, and can be used in the lobby or in your guestroom."

Via The Kindle Chronicles.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
now that's classy service.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Odd that the Hotel website would describe the Kindle as "loaded with your favorite audio book". Just adds more confusion to the actual use of the Kindle. And yes I know that you can listen to audio books with the Kindle as well, but that is certainly not the best description of the device.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Odd that the Hotel website would describe the Kindle as "loaded with your favorite audio book". Just adds more confusion to the actual use of the Kindle. And yes I know that you can listen to audio books with the Kindle as well, but that is certainly not the best description of the device.
actually i did wonder about that as well. perhaps they also provide audio books.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Amazon also owns Audible - and yes, the Kindle plays Audible audiobooks.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
actually i did wonder about that as well. perhaps they also provide audio books.
I am sure they do, but this is the total description of the Hotel's Kindle service:

Kindle available, loaded with your favorite audio book, in keeping with our literary tradition

If I was unaware of what the Kindle was, I would certainly come away with the impression that the Kindle was just an audio book device.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I am sure they do, but this is the total description of the Hotel's Kindle service:

Kindle available, loaded with your favorite audio book, in keeping with our literary tradition

If I was unaware of what the Kindle was, I would certainly come away with the impression that the Kindle was just an audio book device.
oh yes, i agree with you.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Well I sent an email to the Algonquin General Manager Gary Budge to get this settled. I asked if getting a digital book was an option or if audio books were all that is available.

I will be amazed if I get a response, but will let MR know if I do.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

nicely done.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
Kindle for use in a hotel...that's a smack yourself on the forehead, "why didn't I think of that idea"! Absolutely brilliant!
As as business traveler, I've spent lots of time lying awake in hotels at night, surfing the net, channel surfing on the TV (all 10 stations), and wishing I'd brought along a better/different book to read.
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Perhaps soon we might see the Gideon's Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gideon's Kindle.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	18880  

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 12-07-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:25 PM   #12
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
The Sony reader could probably work just as well, if not better

(No chance of the guest buying too many books on the hotels tab )
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:59 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookNerd View Post
Kindle for use in a hotel...that's a smack yourself on the forehead, "why didn't I think of that idea"! Absolutely brilliant!
As as business traveler, I've spent lots of time lying awake in hotels at night, surfing the net, channel surfing on the TV (all 10 stations), and wishing I'd brought along a better/different book to read.
According to your profile, you have three different eBook readers. Don't you take any of them with you when you travel?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:54 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Nice service.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I want to know how a photo of my office got on this website.

I've told all my friends that I have an Olivetti typewriter and a butt-hard chair. That, along with tepid coffee and a can of cold beans is all I have when I'm working.

If my friends see this photo, they'll want to drink my champagne and eat all my chocolate chip cookies. I can't have this, I tell you.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote