Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Independent Series

The dicussion in the general section about Kindle Unlimited has brought a question to mind that I did not think was appropriate to ask in that dicussion so I have broken it out here where I thought it was most appropriate:

What independent series are you reading? I might be interested in a few and pick up on a good series to read.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I read the Post-Human series by David Simpson, Maxwell Saga by Peter Grant, and of course, all the Wool books by Hugh Howey.

Another series that I read a couple years ago and heartily recommend is Soul Identity by Dennis Batchelder.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Some of the indie series I have started and really enjoyed. Most of these I haven't finished for one reason or another, but the first books have been good enough to put the next one in the series on my TBR list.

As mentioned, Hugh Howey's Wool/Silo series is excellent and was the first indie series I HAD to complete as soon as I could. I have also read the first 2 (3?) of his Molly Fyde series and they are very good too, although they are YA.

The Chronicles of St. Mary's by Jodi Taylor. I have only read the first so far, but it is a very fun time travel series, somewhat similar to Connie Willis' Oxford Time Travel books (which are also excellent, but not indie).

Barry Eisler's John Rain series is an excellent action/thriller series following a CIA trained assassin and is now independently published. He has re-edited the series and changed the titles since getting the rights back from his traditional publisher.

Again, I have only read the first one (free), but Lindsay Buroker's Flash Gold Chronicles is an entertaining steampunk series. The next book will probably be my next steampunk selection when I get back in the mood for it.

G. Wells Taylor has a fun horror/zombie-ish series called the Variant Effect. There was some obnoxious repeated phrasing in the first book but it was still fun and the second one was better from an editing standpoint (I liked the story in the first better).

For space opera I would try Randolph Lalonde's Spinward Fringe series. I really liked Broadcast 0 (Origins) which is free, but I felt it got bogged down after Broadcast 4 and haven't picked it back up yet.

I got this all typed up and realized that these are almost all different genres too. And none of them are straight up fantasy which is weird for me. Maybe I need to find a good indie fantasy series to round things out.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
My recommendations are from the fantasy/sf side of things. The Star Force series by BV Larson is a favorite of mine (I think the whole series is available on Kindle Unlimited), and anything by either Vaughn Heppner or David Dalglish are must-reads for me. David VanDyke's Plague Wars series is also fun.

Joseph Robert Lewis is also really good, his stuff falls along the lines of steampunk-ish fantasy. His heroes are also mainly female and of various ethnicities which gives a fresh feel to the stories.

http://www.josephrobertlewis.com/

Last edited by xg4bx; 07-22-2014 at 11:35 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote