Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Pandigital Novel firmware updates

For other White PDN users who might not be frequenting the slatedroid forums:

Pandigital has changed the way they offer firmware updates. If you go to http://pandigital.net/Downloads website and choose your region, you will only be offered an option to download the firmware installer. The old firmware files are not available to the general public.

Once downloaded and launched, the firmware updater will guide you through the process of updating your firmware.

EDIT:

Now there are two options available for firmware. One is for the standard Novel "reader" which is dated 11/19/2010 and the other is the new "tablet" firmware which is dated 1/14/2011.

Apparently, the above is no longer true. The Pandigital novel updater no longer has an option to continue on with the standard "reader interface". Other users attempting to update their Novel from the standard reader are only given options to go to the latest "tablet interface".

For those curious about the new tablet firmware, Pandigitial now has a page about it:
Pandigital Android tablet Firmware

:EDIT

The 1/27 firmware will change the Novel reader into a 7" tablet. This means that it ends up being more of a standard Android tablet which allows more flexibility in its use.

However, you must note that this is a one-way upgrade and you will not be given the option of turning back and reloading the "reader" firmware. But if you are looking for a straightforward way of turning the reader into a open android tablet and are not keen on the way of the "hackers", then this is the way to go.

( * Side note: You can revert back if you are willing to locate older firmware files, remove the internal micro SD, and perform the manual firmware update at the risk of rendering your PDN useless.)

----------EDIT----------

Warning to new users:
The 1/27/2011 is the "tablet" version which is the Android OS open for the user. It still has the B&N reader as an icon, but is meant for users who are willing to learn the new Android OS.

Also:
If you think there is any way you have bought a Novel that may have been tampered with (used from another owner, an open box special / returned & re-certified, etc.) be very careful attempting to go to the "tablet" 1/27/2011 version. You will more than likely turn your Novel into a nice paperweight.

However:
It does appear that the original Novel "ebook" firmware has gone the way of the dodo. Pandigital is moving forward with the "tablet" interface for all White Pandigital models and if you are looking to update the firmware on your Novel, this is the only direction available to you.

Last edited by steven522; 02-15-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Pandigital upgrade direction
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
steven522
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My own experience with the Pandigital Novel:

I bought a white PDN at Kohl's as an after-Christmas special. I updated the firmware from the Pandigital website to the "stock" 11/19/2010 firmware and tested out as much of the tablet as I could through the "ebook" interface.

Following the microSD removal and replacement routine on the Pandigital website, I updated the 1GB internal mSD to an 8GB mSD. I then updated the firmware to the 1/14/2011 "tablet" version using the updater on the Pandigital website.

The end result is a 7" android tablet with the ebook reader software as an icon to launch instead of being the main interface. The user has full access to the settings, home screen, etc., as any android device allows. The upgraded 8GB mSD card is now split into two partitions (this is done by the flash to the tablet firmware) which gives the tablet 4GB of application storage and 4GB of data storage. The stock firmware only had access to the 512MB of internal memory for applications and the 1GB mSD for data.

The "out of the box" programs from the tablet firmware include the ES File manager which allows the user to explore the files on the internal and external SD cards to launch APK files for install or to open data files and the SAM (Slide Me Android Marketplace) app to locate and install more android applications.
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Eread Bill
Eread Bill began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital novel 7
Steven,

Do you have to do anything special to upgrade the micro SD to 8G?

My white is still stock, but what you did above looks very straight forward
and easy. I know that it has only been a couple of days, but are you stll happy?

Can you get to the actual androin market place or only SAM?

Thanks
Bill
Eread Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
steven522

If you check out this page:
http://www.pandigital.net/?PageID=335#MicroSD_Removal
It gives detailed directions on removal and replacement of the micro SD card.

I took out the stock 1GB card and replaced it with a clean (Fat32 freshly formatted) 8GB card. The firmware update to the android open platform (1/14/2011) will partition and load the required files.

I am extremely happy with the Pandigital firmware without any hacks applied. I have been trying out different readers available including the Cool-Reader available here. Although I have to admit, I have been loading different games and trying them out more than reading right now.

Without going into the system deeper than I am comfortable with, the market place is not available. However, the group at slatedroid are working on a user freindly way of doing this.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I also picked up a couple of the PDNs at the $60 special price. I upgraded both with an 8GB microSDHC card and both with the 1/14/2011 Pandigital Tablet firmware. I am very happy with them (especially for the price). I haven't been able to decide if I prefer the FBReader or CoolReader app for reading. The B&N app is ok, as is the Kindle app. AndroSudoku and Shortyz Crosswords are a couple of my favorite games that I put on it that I really like. The PDN is great for reading at night with buit-in backlight and FBReader, CoolReader and the included B&N app (and probably other apps) have a night mode that switches to a black background and white text so you don't bother your spouse while reading in bed :-)

I also downloaded the photoframe apk and it automatically starts up playing photos when its plugged in making it a great digital photoframe when you plug it in on its included stand.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
Eread Bill

Thanks Steven, I am going to do it tonight.

Bill
Old 01-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #7
Eread Bill

Steven.

Installed 8g, then OP 1-14. Came up as android tablet with no PD functionality.
Able to get email but cannot get on the web. Origional sw 9-23, fell back to that
and it had my books and all intact. Went to PD to upgrade to 11-19 and try again.
Of course it won't do 11-19 and is now doing non-OP 1-14. Will let you know.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:59 AM   #8
Eread Bill

Loaded non-OP 1-14. Looks like android tablet, better than last time. Web and email work.
Says PANDIGITAL on lt blu background. 3 home pages. No icons on 2 or 3.
No PD functonality. Restored photos, music and books. Photos and music work,
can't find a way to read books, but all covers appear in photos. And all files are in
correct folders. Icons for B&N, ES File Exp, Office Suite and SAM all say app not installed.
Settings, Apps, manage shows 13 com. apps, most with 0 file size.
Any help will ba appreciated.
Tired now going to bed, will try more in am.
Bill
Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eread Bill View Post
Loaded non-OP 1-14. Looks like android tablet, better than last time. Web and email work.
Says PANDIGITAL on lt blu background. 3 home pages. No icons on 2 or 3.
No PD functonality. Restored photos, music and books. Photos and music work,
can't find a way to read books, but all covers appear in photos. And all files are in
correct folders. Icons for B&N, ES File Exp, Office Suite and SAM all say app not installed.
Settings, Apps, manage shows 13 com. apps, most with 0 file size.
Any help will ba appreciated.
Tired now going to bed, will try more in am.
Bill
The B&N icon is the way to read books.

Note also that flashing the official 1/14 firmware is a 2 step process... Some folks missed that and ended up with app not installed messages.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
steven522

Right, depending upon your original state, be sure to follow all of the on-screen prompts exactly when using the Pandigital updater.
It might asked to be re-connected for a reload through USB.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
Eread Bill

I did the reconnect to usb, clicked ok and nothing happened.
I guess I will try falling back and starting over.

Thanks to both of you. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eread Bill View Post
I did the reconnect to usb, clicked ok and nothing happened.
I guess I will try falling back and starting over.

Thanks to both of you. Will let you know how it goes.
If you don't get the apps after the first flash (or the apps don't work) and nothing happens when you reconnect to USB... then I would just reflash the 1/14 firmware again. Some people found they needed to flash twice.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
steven522

Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
I also downloaded the photoframe apk and it automatically starts up playing photos when its plugged in making it a great digital photoframe when you plug it in on its included stand.
Where did you get the photoframe apk?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
tselling
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Where did you get the photoframe apk?
I believe I got it from the slideMe market included with the OP firmware.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Eread Bill

Guys
I tried to re-load non-OP 1-14 over itself, no luck.
Tried to fallback to my origional 9-23, no luck.
Now trying to load OP 1-14 over non OP 1-14.
Not having any luck. Progress bar goes about 25% across,
then restarts over and over (about 6 times so far). In the mean time,
the reset button no longer works. Have to unplug battery to power off.

Any suggestions? Is this one gone for good?