Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

View Poll Results: Has the kobo vox lived up to your expectations?
Yes. 18 48.65%
No. 10 27.03%
Mostly. 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
Has the kobo vox lived up to your expectations?

Does it perform as well as you expected it to?
If you are still learning it, wait before voting...thanks.
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
rmorrow
rmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
It has been pretty much what I thought it would be. I tried not to have unrealistic expectations about the Vox. I knew from when I bought the Touch about Kobo tending to release readers with a few of the 'bolts still needing to be tightened'.

I also accepted that the Vox is an e-reader first and an android tablet second, and didn't expect it to be the other way around. I knew that it was based on a generic lower end android tablet platform, and adjusted my expectations accordingly. Honestly, if I had wanted the best android tablet I would have coughed up the $500+ for a Tab or a Xoom.

One thing that I was happily surprised about was how good the screen ended up being. While Kobo may have been budget conscious with the tablet hardware the screen is definitely a couple notches above what could be expected for a $200 tablet.

Overall I'm happy with the Vox and will probably end up keeping it.

Rick
rmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
It has, BUT...I had very low expectations - esp. since this device has been marketed as a 'Social eReader' - not a tablet. This is what most of the general public does not get. It's being reviewed as a full functioning tablet - which it isn't. BUT, I am happy to report, it does everything I want it to do that my hubby's $500 iPad does! Can't beat that!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I think pokee and I had similar expectations. Now that I have the browser I want, have email setup to work beautifully, and have various apps I like, it meets all of my needs.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I bought a reader with "extras" for $199. I wasn't expecting to get an iPad...For a reader it has lots of extras! So far I'm very pleased with it.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-04-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I was looking for a reader with a nice screen for $200. I basically got that, although I had to tweak it a bit to make it work the way I wanted. For the price, it's not bad at all, especially that screen. The browsing was a bonus - my main focus was PDF files and maybe comics.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
My comments are similar to the others. I wasn't sure how it would work surfing while in the Lazyboy but it works quite well so that's a happy outcome for me.

Sure, it's not perfect but for $200 it's a very nice intro to the tablet and swipe world.

(My next tablet will likely be Windows 8 though.)
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
goalie_girl
goalie_girl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I've been through a bit of a roller coaster with respect to my feelings towards the Vox. When I first got it I was very impressed. I did my homework and I knew it was going to be an eReader first and foremost with some extra tablet applications. I haven't had any problems with it the way I've heard other people are having with it. Sometimes it doesn't turn on immediately when its sleeping but I've found if I just wait a minute (30 seconds really) and try again it will turn on...as opposed to obsessively pressing the on/off button over and over again! I was very disappointed that it isn't compatible with ADE but have been told its a problem they're working on. Once I figured out how to download library books with Aldiko I was happy again. One problem that kinda sucks is the battery life isn't too great. I'm going on a trip with a 5+ hour bus ride in a few weeks and I'm nervous about the battery lasting the whole trip. But I guess if that's the worst of my issues it isn't so bad.
goalie_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #9
keithmoonkin
keithmoonkin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
It does the job, just whished the screen did not have the light bleed on the bottom.
keithmoonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I only notice a couple of TINY bleeds when the unit is turning itself on, and the screen is completely black. I kinda figured this was normal...is it not?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie_girl View Post
One problem that kinda sucks is the battery life isn't too great. I'm going on a trip with a 5+ hour bus ride in a few weeks and I'm nervous about the battery lasting the whole trip. But I guess if that's the worst of my issues it isn't so bad.
Eh. As long as you're not watching video and have wi-fi off, it'll be fine. As long as it starts fully charged. Battery life is the same as any other tablet in its price range (everyone measures differently, which sucks - it'd be nice if there were standardized tests, such as battery life from a full charge when streaming video over wi-fi so that you'd at least know what the minimum time you can expect would be).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
keithmoonkin
keithmoonkin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Light bleed is only noticeable when the screen is dark, and booting. I do not think this is normal.
keithmoonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
jacrider
jacrider began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I've been pretty pleased. For the price, it doesthe job.

I'm reading with it. Does Gmail nicely. I have both watched a movie and listened to music.

Battery life is ok.

My only request is better access to the Android market, however, I am sure that will change in time.
jacrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
Annibronte
Enthusiast
Annibronte has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3,Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacrider View Post
I've been pretty pleased. For the price, it doesthe job.

I'm reading with it. Does Gmail nicely. I have both watched a movie and listened to music.

Battery life is ok.

My only request is better access to the Android market, however, I am sure that will change in time.
Yeah, I'm pleased. I'm liking the backlit reading (turned the brightness way down), can browse, play a few games. I'm probably going to use it at home mostly, and take the Kindle 3G with me out, since I don't have a data plan phone.
Annibronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #15
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I am very happy with my Vox and still as pleased as punch that I have one! (It was an early Christmas gift, so the excitement can't wear off until at least the new year!).

I answered "mostly" because I have found myself slightly frustrated with the app situation. I don't understand android very much so I am unsure how to find those apps I covet. I am very slowly finding apps here and there (super proud that I have netflix now) and I hope by Christmas to have the machine I desire. I just wish it wasn't so hard for someone like me.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote