Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2007, 03:22 AM   #1
pitolee
Connoisseur
pitolee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
lrf with Embedded Font vs Default - speed?

I like what MS has done with their Calibri and Candara fonts. Was wondering if the same book run through BD with the only difference being the paragraph font set either in default (Swis721) or in Calibri would show a significant difference in page turning speed?

This is based on mere conjecture. I assume graphic intensive PDF pages take longer time to process/page turn than a normal default page turn? This guess came from reading the forum - it seems that if a memory stick is added that has much information it slows the response of the unit.

Sorry to ask these questions, but have yet to get my hands on a Reader.

Thanks
pitolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Yes, an embedded font will slow the Reader page turns. The exact speed of the page turns is determined by the complexity of the character glyphs for each font and the optimization of the font rendering. In short, some fonts are faster than others. Dutch, Swiss, and Courier are the fastest.

While some people have reported a slight delay in page turns from a memory stick on a large PDF document, I have never experienced it myself.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
For reference, when I was unwittingly embedding Arial (I thought that option did something else at first), I noticed that page turns took about twice as long as they do for the on-board Swiss font (which is more or less the same font).

Needless to say, I stopped embedding Arial as soon as I realized what was going on.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
dstampe
dstampe
dstampe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
My own experience:

- Embedded fonts in LRF do slow page turns somewhat, about 1.5 lines of reading vs 0.7 lines (that is, how far before the end of the page you need to press the page button). This is for all text in one font and a simple font (more fonts might require flushing the font cache?)

- PDF: Noticeable slowing, and gets much worse as you process through the document. This starts to become an issue after a few hundred pages, and the document is essentially unreadable after 500 pages. Don't know if this is the fonts or PDF's in general. I've also seen a hard page limit of 1000 pages, but have been unable to get anyone else to confirm this.
dstampe is offline   Reply With Quote