Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #16336
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just finished Delirium by Lauren Oliver, a good written, emotional YA dystopian. I looooooved this book and cried at the end. Can't wait to read the next two books in the Trilogy. But first: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #16337
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I just finished Delirium by Lauren Oliver, a good written, emotional YA dystopian. I looooooved this book and cried at the end. Can't wait to read the next two books in the Trilogy. But first: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
I've only read Before I Fall, it was very repetitive and although I finished it, I didn't like it. I'm thinking of giving the author another try with Delirium as I've read nothing but good reviews.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on The Book Thief once you finish it. That was an excellent book!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #16338
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I've only read Before I Fall, it was very repetitive and although I finished it, I didn't like it. I'm thinking of giving the author another try with Delirium as I've read nothing but good reviews.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on The Book Thief once you finish it. That was an excellent book!
You should give Lauren Oliver an other try because the writing is beautiful. I didn't find Delirium repetitive.
The start of The Book Thief is great. So far, so good.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #16339
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
or are you just teasing me.
Guilty as charged!

(I liked Eternal Husband, too. Who'd have thought Dostoevsky had a comic novel in him?)
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #16340
paranormalink
paranormalink began at the beginning.

Device: none
Now reading The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer.
paranormalink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #16341
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Tell us how you get along with Wolf Hall. My mother loved this and I bought it recently when it was on special at Amazon.
damn, I missed the offer: Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies are both on my TBR list (which is getting longer by the minute!)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #16342
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Just finished Trollope's "Can you forgive her?". I especially enjoyed the description of the fox hunt (I felt that I was there), and of the Chelsea byelection (it seemed very modern).

Just starting James Oake's "Freedom National".
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #16343
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I take it you read this in school then? I didn't, but I did study Crime and Punishment in school and loved that novel. However it was only selected reading for those who had chosen English Literature as a subject for final year. I can't imagine it being chosen for general English studies.
I did read The Brothers Karamazov in English class. Not a lit class. Just regular English. It was not a book that should have been read for that class. Many books read for English class are inappropriate because the kids reading them just cannot relate to them. The style is sometime very dated. The pacing just slow and the story has nothing to do with anything the kids know. This gets worse every year.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #16344
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm about halfway through Assassin's Apprentice. I'm really enjoying it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #16345
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did read The Brothers Karamazov in English class. Not a lit class. Just regular English. It was not a book that should have been read for that class. Many books read for English class are inappropriate because the kids reading them just cannot relate to them. The style is sometime very dated. The pacing just slow and the story has nothing to do with anything the kids know. This gets worse every year.
I commiserate then. We did have some more challenging books in general English and Shakespeare (of course), but mainly it was restricted to very readable and enjoyable books like Graham Greene, Harper Lee, William Golding, John Knowles etc.. with a smattering of newer fiction like A Kestral for a Knave and even Audacity to Believe.

We did have Thomas Hardy though and that was an utter bore.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #16346
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: House of Steel by David Weber.
Which had an excellent novella covering some back-story, and lots of (for me) tedious detail about the honorverse. For I'm sure there are people who woul find all the detail fascinating.

Next up: In Fire Forged by David Weber et al. One I think I've missed, unless I read it in paper at some point.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-22-2013 at 10:04 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #16347
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
We did have Thomas Hardy though and that was an utter bore.
Couldn't agree more. I had Tess of the d'Urbervilles as one of the set books for my A Levels (University entrance qualifications, sort of), and hated it so much that I couldn't finish it despite several attempts. As a result, I missed a whole third of the exam paper off (still managed to pass ), but I now have an enduring dislike of Thomas Hardy.

Recently started Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Not my usual kind of thing, but after a recommendation by Stephen King I thought I'd give it a go. Certainly intriguing.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #16348
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Which had an excellent novella covering some back-story, and lots of (for me) tedious detail about the honorers. For I'm sure there are people who woul find all the detail fascinating.

Next up: In Fire Forged by David Weber et al. One I think I've missed, unless I read it in paper at some point.
I enjoyed the novella, and skimmed through the rest. There were a few bits of interest in there, but mostly not stuff I much care about. IOW, about what I expected.

Next up, Boundary, by Ryk E Spoor and Eric Flint.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #16349
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I finished Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson this morning and absolutely loved it. I've just started Toni Morrison's Beloved. I read it in secondary school but I don't think I appreciated it back then, I probably wasn't able to appreciate it at that age (16-17 uears old). It will be interesting to see how I feel about the book after the reread.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #16350
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I decided to read some of the Nebula nominated short stories that Tor posted on their website a couple months back.

The Finite Canvas by Brit Mandelo has been an interesting read. You get a good idea of what the society and world is like without going in depth into the details. Not quite finished, but I am sure it will end up being a good read.

I will start Swift Brutal Retaliation by Meghan McCarron on my way home today.

I have a long flight tomorrow and will probably start The Short Victorious War by David Weber (Honor Harrington 3) for the trip.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote