Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Refurbished Sony PRS-500

I see Sony sells these for $199, I wonder if this is a good buy and if anyone has purchased a refurb?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I see Sony sells these for $199, I wonder if this is a good buy and if anyone has purchased a refurb?
If I was interested in a refurbished 500, I would ask about the warranty. And if you are also interested, if you can also get the replacement warranty as well. I myself would not have an issue. It is supposed to be checked out by Sony to be in good working order.

When we are ready to get another car, one thing we might look into is factory refurbished.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
devils.master
devils.master began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia
I think that JSWolf is right you have to talk about the warranty as the refurnished does not hav much gurrantee.
devils.master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:46 AM   #4
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I guess you are trading-off the improved screen with 100$. These pictures (not taken by me) clearly show the screen quality difference between 500 and 505.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=73

Of course, the decision is yours, but, if I were you, I would think once more about the trade-off.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There really is a pretty drastic difference in screen quality. For me, that would be worth paying another $100 for. You may disagree, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
The $100 buys you massive improvements in usability with the 505. The Sony PRS-505 can read .RTF and .PDF files NATIVELY from its internal memory (210MB) and its SD card (2GB max) and its MSPD card (8GB max) all at the same time. The PRS-505 charges from any USB port. The PRS-505 will work as a card reader on almost any system. I use mine, and have never installed the Sony s/w.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Some people, like Jon, have sold their 500s and purchased new 505s. They thought it was worth it.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote