Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #46
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
right. unless some content provider can offer something completely unique that someone else can't offer something similar. and i just don't see that happening in these magazines, certainly not the tech ones. wired, popular science, etc. they cover the same technology everyone else does, maybe a different spin, but still the same information. and then they even compete with their own web sites. emags are going to have to offer up some compelling value, or simply the same cost as their magazine subscriptions. especially if they are wasting my storage space and my bandwidth download a mag with ads.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #47
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
July Issue is out...a buck cheaper!
http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/2010...e-a-price-cut/

Quote:
The second edition of Condé Nast’s much-praised Wired magazine iPad app is out, and it boasts some new features. The biggest one: A 20 percent price cut.

Condé says it will be experimenting with digital magazine pricing for months to come. But Wired Editor Chris Anderson, who wants us to know that he doesn’t control his magazine’s sales price, makes the common-sense argument: Digital editions should cost less than physical ones because there’s no distribution cost.

“I would say that right now, all of us have opinions about the perfect price,” he says. “My feeling, my own personal instinct, is that digital should be at slight discount to print.”

Actually, Anderson says, in an ideal world he would prefer to offer it at an even steeper discount. The man who wrote “Free” would like to make Wired a freemium product: Offer some of the issue for no charge, and then upsell for the full thing.
Smaller too (340M instead of 550M), but because there is less content.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #48
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
July Issue is out...a buck cheaper!
http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/2010...e-a-price-cut/

Smaller too (340M instead of 550M), but because there is less content.
Based on absolutely no research (scientific or otherwise), my "gut" says that $2.99 (or maybe even $1.99) is the sweet spot where sales go way up - more than compensating for the price cut.

I personally am waiting for them to hit the "sweet spot".

-- Riq
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #49
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rique View Post
Based on absolutely no research (scientific or otherwise), my "gut" says that $2.99 (or maybe even $1.99) is the sweet spot where sales go way up - more than compensating for the price cut.

I personally am waiting for them to hit the "sweet spot".

-- Riq
$1.99 would definitely be an impulse buy. The irony of course is that the App is way too big to download over 3G...which negates a bit of the the impulse buy
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote