Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Anyone else have an electric bike?

Does anyone else have an electric bike? I've recently bought one, and it's absolutely brilliant for local trips. They seem to be getting quite popular around here since they are completely free of tax, insurance, etc. Great fun to ride, too!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Harry,

Please keep us informed of your ongoing experience with your new bike. I don't own an electric bike, but I've test-ridden several, and have been impressed.

The main thing that puts me off is the weight: about twice as much as my standard town bike. Maybe that's not a problem during normal use, but I'd be worried about hauling it up steps, over gates, etc.

You mention that an electic bike is free of tax and insurance. True, but, to be fair, so are ordinary bikes (at least, here in the UK).
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I had to look up electric bike... I hadnʻt really heard of them before. Motorscooters are extremely popular here (we have 2 land roads, a lot of traffic, and motorbikes can ride on the side of the road). It looks like itʻs a bike with an engine? Do you pedal?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I had to look up electric bike... I hadnʻt really heard of them before. Motorscooters are extremely popular here (we have 2 land roads, a lot of traffic, and motorbikes can ride on the side of the road). It looks like itʻs a bike with an engine? Do you pedal?

Grace, yes you peddle, and when you need it you use the motor, like for going up steep inclines (Hills),

I think they recomend 20% usage for the motor ......

Just wish I could afford one !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Latherme_up
Banned
Latherme_up plays well with othersLatherme_up plays well with othersLatherme_up plays well with othersLatherme_up plays well with othersLatherme_up plays well with othersLatherme_up plays well with othersLatherme_up plays well with othersLatherme_up plays well with othersLatherme_up plays well with othersLatherme_up plays well with othersLatherme_up plays well with others

Device: none
How far can you drive the damn thing with an extension cord?
Latherme_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
There are various types of electric bikes. Those where you don't have to peddle at all (at least, while your battery is full...) and those that "help" with peddling (always having the wind behind you).

I don't have one, the radius is too small for me. And loading points aren't available at many locations.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does anyone else have an electric bike? I've recently bought one, and it's absolutely brilliant for local trips. They seem to be getting quite popular around here since they are completely free of tax, insurance, etc. Great fun to ride, too!
I'm using the standard bike, where all the work is done by your legs. But I would love to have a segway...
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
WE WANT PICS!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:28 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Harry,

Please keep us informed of your ongoing experience with your new bike. I don't own an electric bike, but I've test-ridden several, and have been impressed.

The main thing that puts me off is the weight: about twice as much as my standard town bike. Maybe that's not a problem during normal use, but I'd be worried about hauling it up steps, over gates, etc.
They've evolved a great deal over the last couple of years, Mike, both with lighter frames, and with switching to lithium polymer battery packs, which are much lighter and more powerful than the lead/acid batteries previously used. The one I've bought has a good 50+ mile range on a battery charge (when you use it in "pedal assist" mode), for example, which is more than enough for commuting, etc.

Quote:
You mention that an electric bike is free of tax and insurance. True, but, to be fair, so are ordinary bikes (at least, here in the UK).
Very true, of course . I was comparing it to other forms of "powered" transport.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:32 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
There are various types of electric bikes. Those where you don't have to peddle at all (at least, while your battery is full...) and those that "help" with peddling (always having the wind behind you).
That's right. There are basically two modes of operation - "pedal assist", where you pedal normally and the motor "helps you out", and a completely powered mode using a twist-grip on the handlebars.

Quote:
I don't have one, the radius is too small for me. And loading points aren't available at many locations.
Range has improved significantly with the modern ones. The one I've bought, for example, has a 50+ mile range in "assist" mode, which is more than enough for commuting to and from work, or a day "out and about".
Old 03-14-2010, 04:37 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
WE WANT PICS!
This is the one that I've bought, Kenny:

Old 03-14-2010, 04:43 AM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Electric Bikes! Electric Books! Electric Plays delivered to your living room!

The way this crazy world is spinning so fast, I wouldn't be surprised if someone invented an electric toothbrush! (Imagine that!)

Not for me, no thank you! As long as I have a steady supply of whale oil for my lamp, and my good ol' Edison Speaking Phonograph and a copy of The American Whig Review, I am content.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #13
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
This site has some interesting ones.
Solex is an old manufacturer of mopeds on the continent

http://www.stichtingmilieunet.nl/and...-solex-20.html
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I find it ironic.
People are raving about Green Green Save the Planet. Stop using cars, start using bikes because they are environment friendly beasts. Then, all of sudden, I learn about a new beat. An electrical bike. A vehicle that requires electricity to charge it, thus adding to CO2 or whatever when charging up the battery and completely defeating the idea of environment friendly bike. Humans are just ...as George Carlin said
Quote:
"The planet is fine. The people are f...ed."
P.S. HarryT, please do not take it personally, the rant is not directed at you, just my thoughts about human nature...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
no, but I have a horse and buggy!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote