Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #1
metalofono
metalofono began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Help: Calibre crashing on Macbook Pro

Hi! Sorry if I'm posting in the wring place, it's my first post...

I haven't used my kindle in a few weeks, maybe even a few months, and when I tried to open Calibre on my MacBook Pro all hell broke loose: the pad started acting weird, a few folders close and opened again, and suddenly the Mac started making some really scary noises. The only way I was able to stop it was restarting. I have a feeling the problem starts in the trackpad as I open Calibre, but I don't know enough to verify it (much less to solve it).

I reinstalled with the new version but it kept happening, and I have no idea what to do next. Has this happened to anyone else? How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance!
metalofono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalofono View Post
Hi! Sorry if I'm posting in the wring place, it's my first post...

I haven't used my kindle in a few weeks, maybe even a few months, and when I tried to open Calibre on my MacBook Pro all hell broke loose: the pad started acting weird, a few folders close and opened again, and suddenly the Mac started making some really scary noises. The only way I was able to stop it was restarting. I have a feeling the problem starts in the trackpad as I open Calibre, but I don't know enough to verify it (much less to solve it).

I reinstalled with the new version but it kept happening, and I have no idea what to do next. Has this happened to anyone else?
No problems at all here with the same setup.

Can you do everything else on the computer with no trouble? Your description had me wondering about a trackpad hardware fault with it sticking down or something. I once had erratic trackpad behaviour in a previous MBP, from a swollen battery that was replaced under warranty. Also, make sure your trackpad is clean.

What do you mean by "the pad started acting weird"? What "scary noises" was the Mac making? How were you able to restart? Have you tried restarting in Safe Mode after unplugging anything that is plugged in?

ETA: Ah, and where did you download Calibre from?

Last edited by meeera; 12-12-2015 at 08:41 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
metalofono

Quote:
No problems at all here with the same setup.

Can you do everything else on the computer with no trouble? Your description had me wondering about a trackpad hardware fault with it sticking down or something.

What do you mean by "the pad started acting weird"? What "scary noises" was the Mac making? How were you able to restart?

ETA: Ah, and where did you download Calibre from?

Hi, the problem only starts when I open Calibre, everyhting else works fine. When I open it, the track as if I'm always pressing the secondary click (it opens a menu anywhere I click, and it jumps all over the place). After a while it starts making a repetitive noise, honestly I'm not sure is if it's the software or hardware. I restarted it on the menu bar, although the pointer kept jumping between options.

I download it directly from the website, for OSX.

Hope that makes it more clear, I'm not an English speaker so sorry about any confusion... thank you for your help.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi, the problem only starts when I open Calibre, everyhting else works fine. When I open it, the track as if I'm always pressing the secondary click (it opens a menu anywhere I click, and it jumps all over the place). After a while it starts making a repetitive noise, honestly I'm not sure is if it's the software or hardware. I restarted it on the menu bar, although the pointer kept jumping between options.

I download it directly from the website, for OSX.

Hope that makes it more clear, I'm not an English speaker so sorry about any confusion... thank you for your help.
Your English looks good to me!
Just to note - I edited my questions a bit in my previous post, before your reply came through.

Weird thought, and I'm not sure if it fits the symptoms - do you have any Automator workflows set up that you might have forgotten about?

General steps: check cleanliness and hardware. Make sure tap-to-click and drag lock are turned off in your trackpad preferences (in System Preferences). Be sure you have no other items interacting with the computer - mouse, bluetooth external trackpad, adapters plugged in for Thunderbolt or monitors etc. It is worth trying restarting in Safe Mode, and also worth trying a SMC/PRAM reset. (See the Apple support website for details).

Hopefully someone else may come along who recognises these specific symptoms.

Which website did you download it from? The exact URL.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
metalofono

It worked, thanks! I had a numeric pad connected to the Mac, I never thought that would be related to the problem, specially only with Calibre (other apps worked just fine). I still don't know why that generates a problem, but at least now I know how to stop it.

I downloaded from here: http://calibre-ebook.com/download_osx which I understand is the official site... right?

Thank you again for your help, I'd probably never figured it out on my own.
Advert
Old 12-13-2015, 12:51 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It worked, thanks! I had a numeric pad connected to the Mac, I never thought that would be related to the problem, specially only with Calibre (other apps worked just fine). I still don't know why that generates a problem, but at least now I know how to stop it.

I downloaded from here: http://calibre-ebook.com/download_osx which I understand is the official site... right?
Always a good idea to unplug all the things if you have a weird input-related problem! Yep, that's the official site. Sounds like your problem is solved - excellent.