Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
eBooks on the iPhone?

Can you read eBooks on the iPhone? From searching the Forum it appears that you can but have to use third party software. IOW, the iPhone doesn't come with eBook software loaded on it. Correct? And, if so, which formats does it use?

My wife and I are considering the iPhone 3G and, as a hopeless bookworm, the thought of having another eBook reader is very appealing to me.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can use the iPhone as a bookreader, but currently you're very restricted as to the formats it'll supports - basically text and PDF.

If you're buying a phone with the specific intention of using it as a bookreader, a Windows Smartphone will give you a lot more flexibility - you can install applications on it to read pretty much any eBook format.

The iPhone is a good device (I have an iPod Touch, which is an "iPhone without the phone"), but I don't think it makes a particularly good book reader. It's great for many other things, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Thanks Harry. I've got a Sony 505 so the iPhone would be an additional reader like my iPaq currently is. Figure there might times when it'd be handy
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apparently there's a version of the MobiPocket Reader for the iPhone/iPod Touch in the pipeline. Once that's released, it should make it a lot better as a bookreader.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I use an iPod Touch as a secondary reader, and I'm quite happy with it. I think the screen is a little small for long stretches of reading, but it's very nice and clear to look at. It's good 'on the go' such as in a bus, as it's small enough to hold securely in your hand. Also, since it's backlighted, it can be used in many different lighting conditions. If I want to read in bed, I almost always choose the Touch.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
As soon as Friday gets here (July 11) the new App Store will open for the iPhone, iPod touch, and new iPhone 3G. Dollars to donuts but someone already has a book reader ready for release. I know there was web-based software to read books previously. I don't yet have an iPhone, but plan to switch over now. So don't make a decision about "where to read books" until we find out what is available as an application .....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
And yet another option enters the ring! I am going to be broke by Christmas!

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Nokia N96 should make a better eBook viewer then the iPhone. The N95 does have a version of Mobipocket for it. So I would hope that it would also work with the N96.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A Windows Smartphone is certainly a better choice as a bookreader. You can install apps on that to read pretty much ANY format - LIT, Mobi, eReader, PDF, etc.

I don't know if it's any different in the US, but here in the UK the iPhone is only available on monthly contract at silly prices.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A Windows Smartphone is certainly a better choice as a bookreader. You can install apps on that to read pretty much ANY format - LIT, Mobi, eReader, PDF, etc.
Of course, you do have to deal with Windows Mobile...

Quote:
I don't know if it's any different in the US, but here in the UK the iPhone is only available on monthly contract at silly prices.
Rather different here. One of the issues was that the iPhone is only available through AT&T with their contract. I know folks who were interested, but needed coverage in areas AT&T wasn't active, so the iPhone wouldn't work for them.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The iPhone would sell more if it was able to be used on the Sprint network as Sprint as the perfect plan that would be perfect for the iPhone.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The iPhone would sell more if it was able to be used on the Sprint network as Sprint as the perfect plan that would be perfect for the iPhone.
Would you care to elaborate??

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #13
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Of course, you do have to deal with Windows Mobile...
______
Dennis
My words exactly. Okay, I don't have experience with Windows Mobile 6, only previous ones, but that was the reason I bought a Touch to use as a PDA. Usability-wise, it's lightyears ahead of my Dell Axim with Win Mobile 5.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ea_ View Post
My words exactly. Okay, I don't have experience with Windows Mobile 6, only previous ones, but that was the reason I bought a Touch to use as a PDA. Usability-wise, it's lightyears ahead of my Dell Axim with Win Mobile 5.
My understanding is that the improvements in WM6 were primarily in included applications. The Windows core seems to have matured at WM5. So I suspect you would have the same issues with a WM6 machine that made you bolt to the Touch.

I'm waiting to see if Google Android gets implemented in something that isn't a smartphone.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Owning both a Touch and a Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone, there are something which are better in one, other things that are better in the other.

The "Safari" web browser is much better than Mobile Internet Explorer on the Smartphone. On the other hand, the automatic synchronisation of calendar, contacts, etc, between the Smartphone and Outlook is hugely better than anything the Touch has. If I had to choose one and only one device to have as a PDA, it would be the Smartphone. I don't need to access web sites very often "on the go", but I couldn't manage without my diary and contact list.