Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
bluefan
bluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact
New Pebble watch uses e-paper...in colour!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...es/description

Can't find any technical info on the screen, other than having a 64-colour display and can be back lit. Refresh rate looks pretty fast as well.

I'm excited because I've been looking to replace my old watch but don't feel the old Pebble and current smart watches cut it. Also excited this might be the the product that might thrust colour e-paper out from whatever dark hole it's currently in.
bluefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It looks very interesting, but they do talk of "backlight" and that runs counter to the display claims. Somebody goofed?

As for the 64 color display, that should work fine. You don't do photos or video at that size.

What most caught my eye, honestly, was "standard watchbands".
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The figure are changing more rapidly than anything I've ever seen.

I've watched it go up $20,000 more in just 1 minute.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's at $3,695.00

and looks like it'll go to four million in about 1 hour or less, at the rate that it keeps going up.

CORRECTION: Probably in about 20 more minutes.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Unreal! Over $3 million dollars in two hours. Currently at $3.7 million.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

It's now at $3,730,000.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Unreal! Over $3 million dollars in two hours. Currently at $3.7 million.

I wonder how real these figures are......???
Old 02-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
18K backers at $3.8million. They make more profits receiving backing than manufacturing the device.
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
bluefan
bluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the roughbluefan is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I wonder how real these figures are......???
Sounds right. They reached their funding goal in less than 20minutes.
bluefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollei View Post
18K backers at $3.8million. They make more profits receiving backing than manufacturing the device.
It's a good marketing move.
They already knew there would be demand but this way they get the word out and simultaneously rack up launch window sales.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefan View Post
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...es/description

Can't find any technical info on the screen, other than having a 64-colour display and can be back lit. Refresh rate looks pretty fast as well.

I'm excited because I've been looking to replace my old watch but don't feel the old Pebble and current smart watches cut it. Also excited this might be the the product that might thrust colour e-paper out from whatever dark hole it's currently in.
It's probably this screen:
http://www.sharpmemorylcd.com/1-26-inch-memory-lcd.html
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Having owned both an original Pebble and a Samsung Gear Live, I have to say that I much prefer Google Wear. Upon reflection I think it's because it's so closely integrated with Google Now.

If the new Pebble with a microphone can access Google Now, I'll need to look more closely at it, if not its an epic fail.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #13
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I wear a Pebble Steel, myself, and I think it's a fantastic piece of tech.
The new one, while it boasts colour and more features, I think is as ugly as the original.
It does go to show what a powerhouse Kickstarter can be though.

(edit: I love the Pebble Steel, mostly because it's NOT another phone on my wrist, rather than in spite of it. It does what I need it to (alerts me to calls and messages), has a great battery life, and I can "N7" brand the watchface. That's all I wanted.)

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 02-24-2015 at 02:35 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Now at $5.4 million.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #15
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Having owned both an original Pebble and a Samsung Gear Live, I have to say that I much prefer Google Wear.
I've got the original Pebble (and love it). Curiously, the description of the latest update to v2.9 of the software on the watch indicates that it supports Android Wear. Not sure what that support is as I haven't enabled it on my watch yet...

I'd love the colour version but I will wait for the feeding frenzy to abate. I'm perfectly happy with my v1 watch!
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote