Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #46
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
ohhh I love a good price war

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus2112 View Post
Greetings,
I was just browsing through Sony's website. I added the PRS 505 to my shopping cart and in the basket was a "Promotional Discount" of $45.00. Let the prices continue to fall!
Total without tax is at $254.99.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 AM   #47
Spellbot 5000
Connoisseur
Spellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Having had mine since 11/20, I don't begrudge Amazon the $40, and I hope this moves the price to more mass-market levels.
Real mass-market price levels for electronics is in the $50 range, so any eReader has a ways to go. Sort of how DVD players didn't take off until they were being sold in grocery stores and corner stores for $30. I'd like to think that high prices won't keep people away, such as with iPods, but a hell of a lot more people listen to music than read.
Spellbot 5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #48
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Broad View Post
But that is not the intended market for ebook readers. Each company "thinks" they've solved the book file management issue.

They are aiming to create an experience that mirrors reading a paper book and those sorts of task they think are best handled on the device, regardless of how well it actually "works."

Again, look at the way they are marketed and you will see why it will probably be a long time before Amazon releases a PC/Mac reader for the Amazon Kindle.
Actually the Kindle is the only product that does not have a version running on a PC. That should tell you something about what everyone else thinks. Most can use a PC to help manage the eBooks and to provide a platform to develop your own books. Some even allow you to sync the books in such a way that you can pick up where you left off in your reading.

Amazon is clearly positioning themselves differently but is this always a good thing?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #49
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellbot 5000 View Post
Real mass-market price levels for electronics is in the $50 range, so any eReader has a ways to go. Sort of how DVD players didn't take off until they were being sold in grocery stores and corner stores for $30. I'd like to think that high prices won't keep people away, such as with iPods, but a hell of a lot more people listen to music than read.
Where did you get the $50 number? Certainly iPODs are mass marketed at above this level. Certainly DVD players mostly cost more that $30 bucks. Where are you buying one in a grocery store. DVD took off as soon as it hit $100. I think you are smoking funny cigarettes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #50
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
Quote:
Greetings,
I was just browsing through Sony's website. I added the PRS 505 to my shopping cart and in the basket was a "Promotional Discount" of $45.00. Let the prices continue to fall!
Maybe we'll start to have a price war on these things

How low will they go, especially with Astak coming on the scene
Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #51
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasczak View Post
Usually I'm a day late and dollar short. This time I'm early and out $40.

Best post so far!

Thanks for making my morning!
Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:21 PM   #52
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Even though I bought the PRS-500 less than a year ago, I've been looking a lot at the Kindle. I like a lot of the features but since I'm in the navy and based overseas, I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the EVDO network unless I'm visiting back state-side (or until after I get out of the navy and move back to the states). This is a big drawback for me. I really wish Amazon had put in WiFi with the EVDO.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #53
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Well, I gone and done it. I should have my Kindle by Friday.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #54
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I put it in my shopping cart and I don't get a discount. What gives?
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 AM   #55
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
doesn't hurt to have a couple varieties of readers around

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Even though I bought the PRS-500 less than a year ago, I've been looking a lot at the Kindle. I like a lot of the features but since I'm in the navy and based overseas, I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the EVDO network unless I'm visiting back state-side (or until after I get out of the navy and move back to the states). This is a big drawback for me. I really wish Amazon had put in WiFi with the EVDO.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 AM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
If you have a US address and Credit Card you will still be able to buy and download the Kindle books to your PC and move them to your Kindle with the USB connection.... if you were so inclined.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:16 AM   #57
Spellbot 5000
Connoisseur
Spellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Where did you get the $50 number? Certainly iPODs are mass marketed at above this level. Certainly DVD players mostly cost more that $30 bucks. Where are you buying one in a grocery store. DVD took off as soon as it hit $100. I think you are smoking funny cigarettes.

Dale
Any grocery store within 100 miles of where I live carries DVD players, and they carry the cheap models that the mass-market buys. And $30 is on the high side for some stores, which give them away for free with another larger purchase.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:48 AM   #58
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Spellbot 5000, I have to say, where the freak do you live?

I have never seen a grocery store selling DVD players!

Well, maybe the Piggly Wiggly I went to in Sturgis, South Dakota circa 1975 at a price of 2 million dollars, but in all honesty, I was smoking funny cigarettes at the time, so my memory cannot be trusted.

I am not saying you are lying!

I am just saying: WTF?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #59
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post

I have never seen a grocery store selling DVD players!...
I don't know about Spellbot 5000, but in Australia, yeah, in places like Coles (a grocery supermarket), they'll be selling cheap DVD players, usually at the end of an aisle in that "SALE!" bit on the end. I think the ones at Coles down the road are AUS$29, but I can check for an exact amount if you want.

EzyDVD (a DVD seller, online and with stores) was selling them for something like AUS$10 if you bought AUS$60 worth of DVDs (and their DVDs are often pretty reasonable value too).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:09 AM   #60
Spellbot 5000
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post

I have never seen a grocery store selling DVD players!

Well, maybe the Piggly Wiggly I went to in Sturgis, South Dakota circa 1975 at a price of 2 million dollars, but in all honesty, I was smoking funny cigarettes at the time, so my memory cannot be trusted.

I am not saying you are lying!

I am just saying: WTF?
I live in Vancouver.