Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Elizabeth Moon - Paladin's Legacy

I love Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy. I think it's on par with Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Amber, in terms of modern literature that tells a great story while also making important points about the human condition.

So I was thrilled when I found out she was continuing to write in that world with the Paladin's Legacy series, and the last book is coming out THIS WEEK!

Is anyone else here reading this series?
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
So I was thrilled when I found out she was continuing to write in that world with the Paladin's Legacy series...
You're a little behind the times. She started that series years ago .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're a little behind the times. She started that series years ago .
Yes, I know. It would be kind of odd if she'd gotten to the last book without the series going on for a bit.

I don't think there's a time limit on excitement, though. And I'm really looking forward to the last book. Realistic elvish politics, YEEESSS.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree. Very good series.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've got the first book and have plans to eventually read the entire series (big Paksenarrion fan, also a fan of her Science Fiction series') now that the final book is out.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It is a wonderful series. I take it you've also read the prequels about events in Gird's time? If not, you should probably read them before the Paladin's Legacy series.

I shall be waiting for a good Kobo discount code before getting the latest in the Paladin's Legacy series. I'm hoping for another competition in June.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I may break my usual rule and buy it fairly quickly. I have enjoyed all of her books, and have been looking forward to this one. But whatever happens it will not be until June, for sure. So perhaps there will be a Kobo coupon worth using by then. Of course, I _could_ read it first as an audio book, then when the price comes down, add the eBook...
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I may break my usual rule and buy it fairly quickly. I have enjoyed all of her books, and have been looking forward to this one. But whatever happens it will not be until June, for sure. So perhaps there will be a Kobo coupon worth using by then. Of course, I _could_ read it first as an audio book, then when the price comes down, add the eBook...
Well, maybe NOT. I just looked at Audible, and the reader is not the Jennifer Van Dyck, who is the excellent reader of most of the Paksennarion books, but is, instead, Susan Ericksen, who has read a one other book in the series and whose reviews are simply awful. And the Amazon book is only $10.99...
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks I can check all of these out as eBooks from the library so I'll probably be reading them sooner than I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, maybe NOT. I just looked at Audible, and the reader is not the Jennifer Van Dyck, who is the excellent reader of most of the Paksennarion books, but is, instead, Susan Ericksen, who has read a one other book in the series and whose reviews are simply awful. And the Amazon book is only $10.99...
Haven't ever listened to Ericksen do a Fantasy, but haven't minded some of her other narration. I see she got hammered for book two on Audible.

It looks like they've done something I generally dislike in jumping around on the narration. Book one & three used Jennifer Van Dyck, books two & five use Susan Erickson and book four uses Angela Dawe.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-27-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #10
ereaderSam
Connoisseur
ereaderSam doesn't litterereaderSam doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
In what order should her books be read. Can I have the titles please.
ereaderSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderSam View Post
In what order should her books be read. Can I have the titles please.
Well, for the series we're talking about...
Paladin's Legacy
1. Oath of Fealty
2. Kings of the North
3. Echoes of Betrayal
4. Limits of Power
5. Crown of Renewal

...but first I'd read...
Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy
1. The Sheepfarmer's Daughter
2. Divided Allegiance
3. Oath of Gold
available as an omnibus ebook called The Deed of Paksenarrion

There is also a prequel of sorts covering some stuff that is history in the Paksenarrion books...
Legacy of Gird
1. Surrender None
2. Liar's Oath
available as an omnibus ebook called The Legacy of Gird

Her science fiction series' are good too. You can see all of her books here...
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/elizabeth-moon/
Old 05-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #12
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
The Deed of Paksenarrion is a great story, and I finally started listening to Oath of Fealty, which is also excellent.

Legacy of Gird doesn't quite measure up to the others, in my opinion.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Legacy of Gird doesn't quite measure up to the others, in my opinion.
I enjoyed the first book of the omnibus, but found the second very heavy going indeed.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
While I don't exactly rate the series up there with LOTR, I did enjoy it a lot.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
Rbneader
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
While I don't exactly rate the series up there with LOTR, I did enjoy it a lot.
I liked Deed of Paksenarrion better in some ways. LOTR is so very obviously a morality play pushing Tolkien's pet political views. He pushes technology=evil, eugenics and caste systems so consistently that it's hard for me to read in places. It's written from such a limited view of human nature.

LOTR is a great epic that set the bar for fantasy for decades. But the thing about bar-setting is that eventually that becomes standard and new works start passing it. And his well-documented refusal to listen to his editor weakened the story in places.

Deed of Paksenarrion is a much more nuanced discussion on the nature of morality and heroism. Moon also kept her writing more consistently effective. Tolkien wrote some brilliant stuff, but the quality wavers. Not surprising for someone who only wrote 4 books. Moon's greater experience is obvious, and to me her willingness to tackle multiple points of view makes her work stronger.

Legacy of Gird isn't as good a story, although it is a great exploration of the nature of leadership. Paladin's Legacy is more focused on being a political series, although it does take on cultural conflicts in a more interesting way than Deed of Paksenarrion does.

I wouldn't say all Moon's work is in the same category as LOTR or Lord of Light. But I think Deed of Paksenarrion does belong there. LOTR is great but it's not the be-all and end-all of fantasy literature, much like Ivanhoe isn't the only great novel about knighthood.

Last edited by Rbneader; 05-29-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Tags
epic, fantasy, good