Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I am going to pass on buying any new devices until they improve in the software. They still have not delivered on the goodreads integration and the cloud collections is a disaster. I am thinking I am going to mive away from amazon devices.
People seem to be happy enough with Cloud collections in the latest firmware release. In what way do you still consider them to be a "disaster"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #62
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'd just bought an iPad mini, I doubt I'd buy another Kindle Ereader unless something happens to either my existing Paperwhite or my Kobo Aura. I will always need an e-ink ereader but I am shying away from Amazon now, the devices and software is far to locked down for me as I don't buy my books from Amazon.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #63
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
People seem to be happy enough with Cloud collections in the latest firmware release. In what way do you still consider them to be a "disaster"?
I am fed up already with the continuous pop up messages about not being sync'd as it's a non Amazon book, or not being on wifi, and the Cloud Collections won't sync properly between iOS and the Paperwhite for the books I do have from Amazon. So far one of my collections with non Amazon books has disapeared twice meaning my 14 books in it have had to be added again, that's 28 pop up messages. All of those things are annoying and the Paperwhite isn't so fantastic a device to put up with it when others are available.

My PW1 is insured until end of next year so I'll wait and see what the world looks like then.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #64
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Being a Kindle owner of each model since the original, I couldn't agree more and it is a shame, really. Amazon has taken an excellent device and completely mucked it up. As it is, I have reverted to the original firmware on the PW2 with wifi turned off, permanently, which defeats the purpose. The Aura HD is my preferred ereader which in many ways I find superior to the PW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I am fed up already with the continuous pop up messages about not being sync'd as it's a non Amazon book, or not being on wifi, and the Cloud Collections won't sync properly between iOS and the Paperwhite for the books I do have from Amazon. So far one of my collections with non Amazon books has disapeared twice meaning my 14 books in it have had to be added again, that's 28 pop up messages. All of those things are annoying and the Paperwhite isn't so fantastic a device to put up with it when others are available.

My PW1 is insured until end of next year so I'll wait and see what the world looks like then.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #65
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
This is why I say every device is not for everybody. Such a wide array of opinions. I, for one, am happy with the devices I have. As long as they do what I bought them for, then I am a satisfied customer. My Kobos, my Paperwhites, and my Nook HD+ are all satisfying to me and I'll be interested to see what is in store for me this year.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #66
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Does anyone know when the 3rd gen is coming out? I can read on my table or my phone with the Kindle and Kobo apps and my Kobo WiFi is ticking merrily along for eInk reading and what I've bought from Kobo still but I'd like an eInk that lights up. Also, I've bought most of my books from Amazon and eInk is just nicer.

So, any date on the 3rd gen? Also, opinions on the Paperwhite in general?
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #67
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
No release date or anything official as of yet.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #68
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
No release date or anything official as of yet.
Ah. Thanks. Should I wait or getting the current PW? It is $119 at Best Buy and I do have a Best Buy card.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Does anyone know when the 3rd gen is coming out?
The stuff at the start of this thread has ZERO factual basis. It is pure unadulterated speculation, untainted by any connection to the real world. Ignore it. There have been no announcements of a PW3.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #70
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The stuff at the start of this thread has ZERO factual basis. It is pure unadulterated speculation, untainted by any connection to the real world. Ignore it. There have been no announcements of a PW3.
Ah. Will do.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #71
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
So, any date on the 3rd gen? Also, opinions on the Paperwhite in general?
As posted elsewhere, in the past few years Amazon have released new Kindle model once per year around September & October. Apart from the same regurgitated rumour of the PW3 that first started back in November, there's been nothing further to suggest this year will be any different.

Which would mean another 5-6 months before a new model, and there's not even any definite that there will be a new PW this year. On the other hand, Amazon are usually pretty good about not leaking any information beforehand though, so they could still surprise us.

It really just depends on whether you want a newer ereader now, or are happy to wait and see what is coming.... but there will always be a newer, improved model on the horizon, so you could wait and buy one only to find that the following year there's a new model that you'd have preferred to wait on!

As for general opinions on the Paperwhite. I upgraded from the Kindle Keyboard and I am delighted with it. It's smaller and lighter, and is lightning quick in comparison to my older Kindle. I personally think it has the best quality touch-screen control, screen clarity & light combination of the available ereaders, which is why I chose it over the Kobo Aura. If font customisation and having the smallest & lightest ereader is more important, you might find the Aura is a better option.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #72
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'd just bought an iPad mini, I doubt I'd buy another Kindle Ereader unless something happens to either my existing Paperwhite or my Kobo Aura. I will always need an e-ink ereader but I am shying away from Amazon now, the devices and software is far to locked down for me as I don't buy my books from Amazon.
This my feeling too. It's too locked down and the software changes have been a big hassle. I do need an eink reader for the times I read outside, which is a lot in the Summer, but other than that I don't use my PW at all anymore. I actually prefer reading on my touch outside. The screen is better and the font darker and clearer on my touch. I don't think the PW screen is all that great. It's very hard to read on it after reading on my Nexus 7. I'll read on my Nexus 7 or iPad over it any day.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #73
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
As for general opinions on the Paperwhite. I upgraded from the Kindle Keyboard and I am delighted with it. It's smaller and lighter, and is lightning quick in comparison to my older Kindle. I personally think it has the best quality touch-screen control, screen clarity & light combination of the available ereaders, which is why I chose it over the Kobo Aura. If font customisation and having the smallest & lightest ereader is more important, you might find the Aura is a better option.
Thanks for posting about your experience with the Paperwhite I've been seriously considering upgrading from my Kindle Keyboard and having been sitting on the fence about the Paperwhite. I like the idea of a built in light but wonder how much I'll miss my keyboard and page turn buttons. Might take the plunge yet.

Bergette
bshar489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #74
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Ah. Thanks. Should I wait or getting the current PW? It is $119 at Best Buy and I do have a Best Buy card.

Check out the post by soulfuldog. I agree with what he/she wrote about the Paperwhite and whether or not you should buy or wait for the next Kindle Paperwhite.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshar489 View Post
Thanks for posting about your experience with the Paperwhite I've been seriously considering upgrading from my Kindle Keyboard and having been sitting on the fence about the Paperwhite. I like the idea of a built in light but wonder how much I'll miss my keyboard and page turn buttons. Might take the plunge yet.

Bergette
The on-screen keyboard of the PW is much quicker and easier to use than the rubber keys of the Kindle Keyboard, in my experience. I don't personally miss the physical keyboard at all.

Tags
300 ppi, 3rd generation, good, kindle, paperwhite