Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-02-2017, 07:34 AM   #286
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
You're showing you're not a software developer. There's a very technical reason (which doesn't mean that is a good design). ISBN is a primary key in the table, so it cannot be duplicated.
Another thing that could be done is to just change the cover to the current cover and forget this alternative entry. This alternative entry is just not needed. The book's entry should be up-to-date with the current version of that edition.

Also, the ISBN doesn't have to be a primary key.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #287
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
Some Stupid Romance, published by Mills & Boone will have one ISBN.
Some Stupid Romance, published by Harlequin, will have a different ISBN.
Some Stupid Romance, Second Edition, published by Harlequin, will have yet another ISBN.

Back when I thought GoodReads might be useful to me, If the ISBN for Some Stupid Romance was from Harlequin, they wouldn't let one add the ISBN from Mills & Boone. Likewise, if I had Some Stupid Romance, Second Edition, one couldn't add the ISBN for that edition.
That doesn't happen now. You add another edition from other publisher and other ISBN and that's all.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #288
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another thing that could be done is to just change the cover to the current cover and forget this alternative entry. This alternative entry is just not needed. The book's entry should be up-to-date with the current version of that edition.
I totally, totally disagree.

Quote:
Also, the ISBN doesn't have to be a primary key.
That's what I said about design / decision (but it is a technical reason)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #289
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's what I said about design / decision (but it is a technical reason)
And a very bad reason at that given that ISBN numbers have been used more than once for different formats.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #290
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Jon,
Excuse me but I can tell you that a paperback version and a hardback version of the exact same book WILL have different ISBN numbers. ISBN is specifically for one type of book. It is that exact book. Oh and if you have the same book with the same cover but different years their ISBN can be different.
So no, they cannot shift between formats.
Oh hardback usually starts with 1 and paper with 13
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #291
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Jon,
Excuse me but I can tell you that a paperback version and a hardback version of the exact same book WILL have different ISBN numbers. ISBN is specifically for one type of book. It is that exact book. Oh and if you have the same book with the same cover but different years their ISBN can be different.
An ISBN certainly should be unique to a particular format, but some cheapskate ebook authors use the same ISBN for different ebook formats (e.g. the same ISBN for an ePub and Kindle edition of their book). This isn't in accordance with the way that ISBN's are designed to be used, but there aren't any "ISBN police" to enforce it .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #292
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Jon,
There have been eBooks that used the same ISBN as some pBook version. That no longer happens.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #293
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
All this talk just makes me glad I used LibraryThing instead of Goodreads.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #294
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
In the end, these things only matter to a small group
Old 06-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #295
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
In the end, these things only matter to a small group
Exactly. I just want to read the damn book.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #296
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've tried LibraryThing. I found it to be a disaster. I found some books there were incorrect where you put in the ISBN and got the wrong books and the staff never did fix things when I reported it. Just awful. I suggest staying as far away from LibaryThing as possible.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:21 AM   #297
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I've tried LibraryThing. I found it to be a disaster. I found some books there were incorrect where you put in the ISBN and got the wrong books and the staff never did fix things when I reported it. Just awful. I suggest staying as far away from LibaryThing as possible.
I tried LT for a while, but the database had far more holes in it, especially for non-US books. Switched back to Goodreads.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:07 AM   #298
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
A friend got me to sign up for Goodreads at one point. I wish I hadn't. She was into tracking her reading to see how many books she reads per year, I'm just in to reading. Time spent tracking my reading was time AWAY from actual reading! And what did tracking my reading for a year tell me? It told me I read a lot. Which I already knew and have known for many years, LOL!

I stopped, and haven't signed in on Goodreads since. And I keep reading stats turned off on my Kobo too.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:39 AM   #299
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
A friend got me to sign up for Goodreads at one point. I wish I hadn't. She was into tracking her reading to see how many books she reads per year, I'm just in to reading. Time spent tracking my reading was time AWAY from actual reading! And what did tracking my reading for a year tell me? It told me I read a lot. Which I already knew and have known for many years, LOL!
You do not have to do tracking. I personally would not let anybody track my reading.
Just see what other people say about a book that interests you.

Or, you can rate some books you really liked and then have Goodreads suggest you other books you might like. Then you rate suggested books, because you have read most of those too ;-). Goodreads server matches your list of likes and dislikes to other peoples lists of likes and suggests you books that other readers with similar tastes also like. Works great.

Oh ... do register using a nickname you haven't used anywhere else. Nobody needs to know it is you and nobody should be able to connect your likes and dislikes to your real life identity.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #300
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
I like GR and track my reading because otherwise I have a tendency to fall for a nice cover and description and then find out I already have the book. Or I've even read it. My reviews are mostly for myself, so I can remember what the dang book is about That way, when I fall for a book and see I've already read it but don't remember a thing, I can refresh myself, and since I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy which often comes in series, maybe go buy the sequel instead of the one I just fell for all over again (or not if I didn't like the first one.) I could do this just as well with Calibre, and in fact I do, but it syncs to GR and the app on the phone with the barcode scanner is really convenient in a bookstore (we still have lots of those here) or the library.

I do like the social features and groups when I'm in the mood, and I have some people whose taste matches mine pretty well that I follow for reviews and tips on things to read. Librarian'ing around cleaning the database is a nice relaxing not-too-brain-taxing thing to do when I'm in the mood, or sitting on a train.

But mostly, I just have a shocking memory. GR's great for that.
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote