Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #166
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by idraw22 View Post
Amazon owns Library Things too!? I had no idea... maybe theyre trying to corner the ebook stock market thingy!
Amazon does not own LibraryThing. It owns a minority, non-controlling share, via AbeBooks.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #167
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Microsoft remained, at one point they must have owned 90 % of all OSes out there. If that doesn't fit the definition of a monopoly...
As I understand it, under US and EU law, having a monopoly isn't illegal. Abusing monopoly power to harm consumers is illegal.

Microsoft were found guilty of abusing their monopoly position, and had to pay fines, modify the way certain things were done, etc (and last month they were fined 561m euros for failing to fulfill their obligations under the EU settlement).
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #168
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
As I understand it, under US and EU law, having a monopoly isn't illegal. Abusing monopoly power to harm consumers is illegal.

Microsoft were found guilty of abusing their monopoly position, and had to pay fines, modify the way certain things were done, etc (and last month they were fined 561m euros for failing to fulfill their obligations under the EU settlement).
I believe the reference to Antitrust Laws refers to the ability to break up monopolies like Standard Oil or AT&T, but perhaps this was a consequence of abuses rather than size, IANAL.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #169
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntykatkat View Post
My issue was the monopoly that is being formed. When they are the only one who publishes, reviews, and sells we will have a big problem. I seem to remember my history about other monopolies that took all the money and stopped competition. Amazon may do things well, but in the end I see us all losing if it continues to grow unchecked.
Exactly.

Last edited by Rizla; 04-03-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #170
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I believe the reference to Antitrust Laws refers to the ability to break up monopolies like Standard Oil or AT&T, but perhaps this was a consequence of abuses rather than size, IANAL.
Standard Oil created a vertical monopoly from Wellhead to Gas Tank (by itself perfecty legal), squeezed out smaller competitors, and *then* raised prices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standar..._United_States

Quote:
...the Court concluded that the term "restraint of trade" had come to refer to a contract that resulted in "monopoly or its consequences." The Court identified three such consequences: higher prices, reduced output, and reduced quality.

The Court concluded that a contract offended the Sherman Act only if the contract restrained trade "unduly"—that is, if the contract resulted in one of the three consequences of monopoly that the Court identified. A broader meaning, the Court suggested, would ban normal and usual contracts, and would thus infringe liberty of contract.
The issue is the harm to consumers, not to competitors.
Unless it actually hurts consumers, competitors can go hang; evolve or die.
(Nope, theoretical future harm does not apply; only past and present harm.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #171
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
How will it be different from Kindle boards? I think it will be something similar...????
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #172
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Noooo I hate Amazon. I really wish they would stop trying to take over the entire book world. Then I might like them a bit more and start buying from them again.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #173
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
I'm intrigued to know why you think that Amazon is bad for readers. My view would be completely the opposite.
Amazon is bad for competition.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #174
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Here's another reason why Amazon (might have) bought Goodreads:
http://www.teleread.com/amazon/one-m...hor-discovery/

Quote:
I think another reason Amazon bought Goodreads was to find another source of good authors to woo. Look at what they say on the AmazonCrossing site:

Similar to AmazonEncore, Amazon.com’s first publishing imprint, AmazonCrossing uses customer feedback and other data from Amazon sites to identify exceptional works that deserve a wider, global audience.
Looks to me like Amazon just invested in another site from which to mine data about who’s good and who’s not.

If you are a successful self-published author interested in being discovered by Amazon, I’d suggest you create/brush up your Goodreads page and presence.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #175
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
If you are a successful self-published author interested in being discovered by Amazon, I’d suggest you create/brush up your Goodreads page and presence.
At least a portion of the authors that read that will skip over the "successful self-pubished author" part and translate it to:

"Go nuts on Goodreads and Amazon might publish you on one of their imprints!"

Oy.

They will "increase their presence", GR readers will respond negatively, STGRB will make a big deal of that, and it will be Bullygate all over again.

I really, really hope I'm wrong but... Alas, we shall see.

There are many authors I interact with and love dearly, but their unrestrained and less professional brethren make me seriously annoyed.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #176
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
At least a portion of the authors that read that will skip over the "successful self-pubished author" part and translate it to:

"Go nuts on Goodreads and Amazon might publish you on one of their imprints!"

Oy.

They will "increase their presence", GR readers will respond negatively, STGRB will make a big deal of that, and it will be Bullygate all over again.

I really, really hope I'm wrong but... Alas, we shall see.

There are many authors I interact with and love dearly, but their unrestrained and less professional brethren make me seriously annoyed.

One of the benefits to GR is that the groups are moderated. Most authors don't get to go nuts for long before being blocked from groups (assuming the mods are paying attention.) Most of the groups have a place for authors to post and when they post outside of them, they get canned.

But they do have their sagas. Shrug. No way around that.

I'm not so sure that Amazon needs any additional data to "mine" for 'successful' writers. They have access to almost all the sales data they need. There are very few authors who sell more books on another retailer...unless they just use success as "number of reviews." Yeah, that could be bad...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #177
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDln View Post
How will it be different from Kindle boards? I think it will be something similar...????
Exactly.

Last edited by Rizla; 04-04-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #178
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Amazon is good for authors and readers to publish and sell books at competitive price..
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #179
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Not hopeful that Goodreads will still exist in a year or two. I remember the glowing press when they bought Stanza. They don't want any competition. At all.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #180
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Not hopeful that Goodreads will still exist in a year or two. I remember the glowing press when they bought Stanza. They don't want any competition. At all.
While I'm in agreement that they don't want any competition, I don't see how it applies here. Goodreads doesn't sell books. They provide a feature that allows users to search their favorite places (not just stores, but also libraries and archives) for books, but it's not a primary feature of the site. (It's an awkward feature anyway, which can be tricky to use, so I can't be the only one who often finds it easier to just open up a new tab and search for the book myself.)

The only way Goodreads will disappear is if Goodreads / Amazon pulls some sort of boneheaded move that causes everyone to leave. I'm not ruling that out, mind you; as I stated previously, I'm taking a wait and see approach. But I don't believe Amazon bought it to kill it like they've done with others. They now have access to the data of 13 million readers - I don't see them tossing that in the trash on purpose.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote