Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
CornoviiQueen
CornoviiQueen began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
kobo or kindle

I'm really wanting an ereader and have narrowed down to either the kobo or kindle. I still have a few questions though. Can you download kindle books to a kobo? is kindle able to have an sd card to expand the memory? I know you can store some kindle books on the cloud thingymajig, but I heard the amazon wiped all that out (by mistake or on purpose).
CornoviiQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
No.
No.
No, that didn't happen.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
CornoviiQueen

can you convert kindle books to wotk on other ereaders?

Can you convert kindle books to work on other ereaders such as the Kobo? How do you do this?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornoviiQueen View Post
Can you convert kindle books to work on other ereaders such as the Kobo?
If the ebooks are free from DRM (encryption) you can use Calibre to convert from Kindle formats (AZW/MOBI or TOPAZ), e.g. downloaded via K4PC or K4Mac, to ePub and also from ePub, e.g. from Kobo, to MOBI (for the Kindle). Some Kindle ebooks are DRM-free, but most have DRM. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for what to do about DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
CornoviiQueen

how do you know before buying an ebook if it has drm?

How do you you know if a book you want to buy has the drm before you actually buy it?
Im leaning towards the Kobo for features but have seen books that I want on amazon and not available elsewhere.
(im sorry if these questions have been asked before and if they are dumb to most users. You cant really look at ereaders in the UK properly as they are covered in hard plastic cases to prevent theft)
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
CornoviiQueen

and the literature that comes with websites or sales sheets dont come with real life info, just a lot of jargon that no-one wants to expand on!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
How do you you know if a book you want to buy has the drm before you actually buy it?
The short version is that if it has been been published in the last 70ish years it likely has DRM. This is an oversimplification but generally true, especially if it is a new/popular book. Not sure how Amazon identifies them on their website (or if they do) as each company is a little different in that regard. As long as you are paying for the book Apprentice Alf/Calibre are your friends in getting it to work on your device. It's surprisingly easy although it may break the letter of the law depending where you live.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Generally on Amazon.co.uk, under the 'Product Details' (along with things like format, publisher, etc) if there is a line stating "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited", that means it's DRM-free. If that isn't included (and mostly it isn't), then the book has DRM.

If you are comparing the Kobo Wireless (the one that's less than £70) and the Kindle, I prefer the latter. I didn't like the basic Kobo I played with, it seemed quite slow and clunky, but I was quite impressed with the Kobo Touch. However, like you I wasn't impressed with not being able to pick it up and get a feel of it in my hand, I can do that with the Kindle in Tesco, but the Kobo's in WH Smith were firmly attached to the display
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Im leaning towards the Kobo for features but have seen books that I want on amazon and not available elsewhere.
(im sorry if these questions have been asked before and if they are dumb to most users. You cant really look at ereaders in the UK properly as they are covered in hard plastic cases to prevent theft)
You don't need to know if an Amazon book has DRM.

Install Calibre.

Google for "Apprentice Alf" and install the DRM-removal tools for Calibre.

Now, when you buy a book from Amazon, just drag and drop it into Calibre. If it has DRM, the DRM will be removed automatically. Convert it to ePub format, and copy it to your Kobo.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I agree, Harry. I do that will all books I buy, whether from Kobo, or Amazon, or some other source. Except in my case, I convert to MOBI format and copy to my Kindle. The same workflow even with Kindle books and I own a Kindle.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I agree, Harry. I do that will all books I buy, whether from Kobo, or Amazon, or some other source. Except in my case, I convert to MOBI format and copy to my Kindle. The same workflow even with Kindle books and I own a Kindle.
Yes, that's exactly what I do. I buy most of my books from Amazon, but the occasional one from Waterstones (as ePub), and there's absolutely no difference in the way that I handle them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
CornoviiQueen

[/QUOTE] I can do that with the Kindle in Tesco, but the Kobo's in WH Smith were firmly attached to the display [/QUOTE]

unfortunately in my local tesco the closest you can get to a Kindle without buying it is through the hard security boax and packaging.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
CornoviiQueen

Thanks everyone, youve all been very helpful
Old 01-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #14
MoodRing
MoodRing
MoodRing began at the beginning.

Device: none
Personally I would have to recommend the Kindle as a recent owner of one for Christmas!
MoodRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'd recommend the Kobo Touch.

The youtube reviews aren't really all that great comparing because the Kobo Touch is running an old firmware version and the page turns are really slow, they are much faster now.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-18-2012 at 11:54 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kobo, questions