Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Formatting a MicroSD and Naming ePub Files for the Nook on a PC or Mac?

A few weeks ago, I picked up the limited Nook ST and a lovely case for it as partial presents for my grillfiend's birthday. Since I'd rather deliver the gifts unopened but want her to have instant access to a decent library, I'd like to format a 4GB Class 4 microSD card for the ST and add some carefully chosen ePub books (and possibly PDFs, though I've read there's no point).

Is there anything I need to know about file names or anything else, and how would I format the card for the Nook on a PC or a Mac (since I have access to both)? I'm assuming the ST likes FAT32.

Any quick answers would be appreciated, as I'd love to do this in the next 15 hours before I see her.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 12-09-2011 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Tried to change the title: ePub rather than PDF.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Don't know how techie you are, but the best way is to just insert the card in your nook color (I have done this and switched the card from NC to my nook touch and it works) and nook will format it, then use Calibre to put the books on the card (Calibre will show the card in the nook). If you want the book covers to show, follow this thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...ssion/N2E-not-
displaying-all-book-covers-in-Library-s-icon-view/td-p/1054606

If your books are DRM locked, you may have to unlock them or they won't open on her nook.

Good Luck!

Last edited by peitsao; 12-09-2011 at 08:08 AM.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply. I very much appreciate your taking the time to help.

I seem to have failed to make myself understood. Here's the issue:

I can't format the microSD card on the Nook ST itself because it's a gift to someone else and therefore all wrapped up in plastic. What I'd like to do is format the card and put books on it so that my girlfriend doesn't have to do anything but fail to notice my inserting it into the Nook's card slot when she isn't looking.

That's why I'm asking about formatting a microSD on the PC or mac: I'd love to have the card and ePub files work perfectly immediately after she opens her present and I slip the card in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
Don't know how techie you are, but the best way is to just insert the card in your nook color (I have done this and switched the card from NC to my nook touch and it works) and nook will format it, then use Calibre to put the books on the card (Calibre will show the card in the nook). If you want the book covers to show, follow this thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...ssion/N2E-not-
displaying-all-book-covers-in-Library-s-icon-view/td-p/1054606

If your books are DRM locked, you may have to unlock them or they won't open on her nook.

Good Luck!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

By the way: I misread your location as being the "Allergy Mountains" and thought, "but that's where I live!"

About the files: There is no DRM whatsoever. I was asking about file names to find out if there's any issue that could cause an ePub file not to be recognized or read.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Here's a working version of your B&N link.

I've added it not to be snarky but in case it proves useful to me or others. For some reason, we have to post longer URLs as refs linked to parent text or the addresses get riddled with ellipses, which makes them not work.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 12-09-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

I thought your NC-10 is a nook color??????? If so, you can use your nook color to format the card and add books to it and it will work fine on the nook touch. I have done it and it works on both of my nooks.

The problem with trying to put the books on a blank card will be that I don't know if her nook will recognize them without the proper placement of folders--don't know, never tried it.

BTW, I am in PA, so we are in different states, same mountains. Ever hike Heart's Content Trail in PA?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Ah, now I understand!

My NC-10 is actually a Samsung netbook, which I do occasionally use for reading because of its matte screen. It cost me about $70 more than a Nook Color. I've taken my time about replacing it, and when I do, I'll probably choose a Samsung ultrabook. I'm a fan of matte screens, pianistic keyboards and pleasant ergonomics.

Yes, the things you're wondering about (folder recognition, formatting idiosyncrasies) are exactly the reasons I posted.

Sadly, I haven't hiked in PA, but I've done sessions on albums in the coolest studios in Philadelphia, driven where Teddy Pendergrass met his fate, snuck out of after-hours clubs in North Philly that were being fired upon and, while doing a series of readings at Kent State, stayed with Penn residents who drove me around because the professor on whom their grade depended told them they were my yes-men for the weekend. I used to like hiking in Portland, Oregon, though.

Yoo-hoo! Can anyone tell me how to format an SD card for the Nook on a PC or mac?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
peitsao
Addict

I would just do a regular format on pc and then add the folder My Files with subfolder Books and put the books in that folder. As long as you have the correct folders, nook should recognize them. I don't think it needs any special format. The problem I found was that the book covers did not show until I did the Calibre modifications.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
peitsao
Addict

Oh, and I used copy and paste to move the books to the card, not Calibre since I don't care for Calibre's use of folders in the subfolders, so I just transfer the epub file. I don't read PDF so I don't know if you should put them in Books or in Documents--there is a subfolder under My Files called Documents, so my guess is that the PDF may need to go into that subfolder--I hear that PDFs don't read well on the nook touch, so I never tried them out.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Thanks so much, Peitsao.

Though you've never done the thing I'm asking about, by process of elimination, you've helped me when no one else bothered. I'll do the things you suggest and hope they work.

If someone else posts specific instructions and they differ from yours, we'll both learn; if not, I've got your directions.

Will format the card now and add the folders My Files > Books, Documents. If there's time, I'll do the Calibre ePub-to-ePub fix on the page you recommended.

Thanks again!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
If you are able to add the files to an SD card using a different ereader, through Calibre, the Nook should recognize them.

I used to have a Kobo touch, and I had side-loaded books on an SD card. When I sold it and bought a Nook STR, I popped the SD card in and all my books worked.

Dragging and dropping the files themselves to the SD card (outside of Calibre) will probably work as well. Nook just reads epub books as normal and as long as it can find them on the card it will probably organize them into the proper folders itself.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #12
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
When I did mine I used Calibre's 'save to disk' then chose 'save only epubs' feature.
{author_sort[0]}/{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s}. {title}
is the string I use under preferences/save to disk. It worked fine for me, but I like nested folders. I just stick the sd card into my laptop card reader and send the books straight to it.
As far as formatting the micro sd card, I don't think I even bothered! I just can't remember, sorry! And if I did, I am sure I just stuck it in my card slot on my laptop and fast formatted it there.
I hope this helps! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, been a little crazy around here!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Thanks so much, silverraven and tecweston.

SR:

The epub conversion with nested folders is was quite useful, as my grillfiend and I put off seeing each other until tomorrow and I used part of the extra time to convert more books.

It was depressing to return to our ebook library and realize that, without Patricia and others' LRF and PRC contributions, the books that aren't in German are often just genre novels. Some people on MR continually berate other readers' snobbery without ever noticing that some of us honestly like the books we do and it has nothing to do with reinforcing the ivory tower. The assumption is that books which are taught as being good can't possibly be good, but that assumption fails to take into account the history of readers that put many of those books into universities in the first place.

Your method is helping me to pass the fruits of Patricia's good taste to my girlfriend's Nook and for that, I thank you.