Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Edmundo
Edmundo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Typing non-ASCII characters with the keyboard

Is there a way of typing 'é', 'ö' or 'ĉ', for example, with the Kindle 3's keyboard?

I wouldn't want to do it very often, but occasionally I might want to search for a word containing one of those characters or enter it into a web form.
Edmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The keyboard does not support non-ASCII characters, as far as I know.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
sbilek
sbilek has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle 3 wifi
yes you can write on kindle keyboard with a kindle hack. i use it.. i can write ş,ç,ö,ü,ı,ğ with alt + sym combination here is the link you can take more info...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107276
sbilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
those are ASCII characters . . .
you mean extended ASCII characters (table II), or keys that aren't on the mini qwerty keypad?

I don't see why somebody doesn't just write a launchpad daemon or whatever that grabs input with a modifier code (similar to the windows alt-numpad sequence) so that people can enter characters that way.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
Edmundo
Edmundo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
A method for entering an arbitrary Unicode character by typing the code number would be a good universal fall-back, but a more practical method for many users would be a set of more memorable combinations for adding a diacritic to a letter, for example:
Alt+e E -> É
Alt+e i -> í
Alt+o u -> ü
Alt+o A -> Ä
That way there are less than 10 arbitrary keys to be memorised in order to type the letters used in a dozen European languages.
Edmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't know of any Latin-1 type characters in ASCII (0-7F hex). There have of course, many other code sets and extensions that do support characters with accents, etc. But those are not the ASCII code set.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters, keyboard, typing