Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
A Variety of eBook Readers at Christmas Dinner

I was carpooling with my brother to my sister's house for Christmas dinner. While driving he informed me that he was given a Kindle 3 WiFi as a gift at work (I had nothing to do with it ). That means my brother, sister and I all have Kindles. My brother really wants an iPad so I'm not sure how much use the Kindle will see. He did notice that a hard cover book he recently purchased for over $30 was $9.99 in the Kindle store. I told him about the soon to be implemented book loaning feature and registering and de-registering to each others accounts and syncing books. Between the Kindle 3 and the Kindle app on his future iPad, I think he'll be happy.

After dinner my sister's niece (by marriage) pulled out her nook 3G and I pulled out the Sony 650 (since the book I'm currently reading is on it). We played around with each others devices for a while. I asked the niece what she thought of the NookColor. She wasn't interested. She really prefers e-ink and doesn't feel the need for color even for magazines. She thought it was more friendly for kids. We discussed rooting it to use as a tablet but she wasn't interested in going that route. She loves her nook as is.

My sister seems really interested in purchasing a Galaxy Tab for herself and my mother (who did not get along well with the Kindle 2 I bought her which was passed it on to my sister).

I was in eBook reader Heaven. It was great to see them becoming more known and available.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Seeing other people with ereaders is really joyous isn't it? I love my ereader so much I've been trying to convince everyone I know to buy one! (not necessarily a nook like I have, jut whatever reader best suits their needs.)
One of my coworkers got a sony for christmas (I had to work on christmas day night and she brought her reader in) and I was so excited! I told her about calibre, about mobileread.com and a few other resources.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
My brother really wants an iPad so I'm not sure how much use the Kindle will see.
I'll send him my address, I'll take it.

Quote:
My sister seems really interested in purchasing a Galaxy Tab for herself
Is it me, or does the narrowness of those devices, when in portrait mode, bother people?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I was in eBook reader Heaven. It was great to see them becoming more known and available.
Even here in France.
When the fnacbook went out, there where some people listening to the fnac guy making demo. A woman who went asking questions about e-readers at the darty.
People seam to be getting interested in e-readers. Not so long ago, I got the orizon out in the metro, didn't read much, but became a good conversation topic
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
broadsteel
broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none yet
Hi - I just want to say I got a Sony Daily Edition yesterday for Christmas and I love it already! The hubby also gave me a $25 gift cert for the Reader Store and I have already downloaded my first book! (Dennis Lehane: Midnight Mile)

It is just BEAUTIFUL, and now all I need is some alone time to actually sit and read! I am (soon to be) 55 and the eyesight is not what it was... I love the enlarged fonts and am just so looking forward to reading again.
broadsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
My entire family got ebook fever this Christmas.

My nephew's both got Sony readers, my niece got a V- Reader (she's 5) and my wife, sister-in-law, mom and dad all got Nook Classics.

I beat them all, I got an Archos 7 tablet for my birthday back on the 5th of Dec...
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Wow! My mom, an avid reader herself, is the only family member with an ereader (she has a kindle), but she really never uses it. She is still a pbook reader for the most part.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
<snip>

How cool! I wish my family would get with it. So far, just me and my mom have the Sony and my mom barely uses it. She still prefers pbooks and I spend my time keeping her Reader charged at my house. My sis-in-law and her mother are thinking about nooks and the other sis-in-law has a work iPad she uses to read on.

****I've been hinting for my "sis" to get me an iPad for Christmas (heck, even a kindle ) but the package hasn't arrived yet.. I wonder if it got lost? ****
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I've still only seen one other person with an e-book reader here in Adelaide. They have sold a whole lot at Borders before Christmas so I hope to see more in the New Year. They must be out there somewhere....
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
zorah
Enthusiast
zorah is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad; iPhone; Asus T91MT; Kindle Touch
Mom in law was gifted with a Novel. Hubby has a Novel. I got an iPad as an early Xmas gift. So we're getting into the groove. I had been using my netbooks and iPhone before, but love the iPad.
zorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
How cool! I wish my family would get with it. So far, just me and my mom have the Sony and my mom barely uses it. She still prefers pbooks and I spend my time keeping her Reader charged at my house. My sis-in-law and her mother are thinking about nooks and the other sis-in-law has a work iPad she uses to read on.

****I've been hinting for my "sis" to get me an iPad for Christmas (heck, even a kindle ) but the package hasn't arrived yet.. I wonder if it got lost? ****
ok, color me confused... are you guys really related, or just cyber-bonded? been noticing the hints for ages now
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:19 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
My mother bought her Sony650 while she was at my house But my brother refuses to read electronically as long as there's DRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Is it me, or does the narrowness of those devices, when in portrait mode, bother people?
it doesn't bother me, you simply have more lines per page, and not so much less letters per line.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
So far, I am alone.
I have not seen another person with ebook reader.

A lecturer in my college bought Sony 505 2 years ago for herself when she saw mine and I explained her what it is and how to use it. She bought kindle 3G as a Christmas gift for her hubby. Her daughter bought kindle 3g for herself, apparently they are going to incorporate kindle into teaching in a university where she is works. That's where she saw and played with kindle for the first time and fell in love with it Moreover, my colleague's (the one with 505) nephew is one of the guys who develops kindle applications and he made/played the major role? in the kindle application for android?
Besides this family, I don't know anyone with ebook readers.

To be honest, it is very Sad.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
When I bought my Kobo in May, I was the only person in my 14 person office with an ereader. Now all but two of us have them. My husband and I each have our own and all of our kids and kids-in-law have them as well.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I think that you had here a perfect oportunity to compare and contrast ereaders and see the differences in the capabilities between them, not something that I get an oportunity to do much, since my Libra Pro is the only ereader on the block and except for my mother's ipad its the only one in the familiy.

I like the ipad but I am simply not willing to pay that much for anything, don't care who made it or what it can do. I'm eyeing the tablet market and will pounce once the prices reach a range that I am confortable paying.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote