Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
kindlepid/kindlefix 0.2

As suggested by some people, I fixed up kindlepid.py to detect the serial number type and generate the PID according to whether it's Kindle's or iPhone's. I also fixed a dumb bug in kindlefix.py which should get rid of the author name problem and hopefully other issues with the library books.

<<download link removed>>

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 03-10-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Link removed
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well done igorsk.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It works for me! Haven't tried Kindlefix yet.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

KindleFIX works as well. I've been changing the Visual Guide to include the updates. Will try to finish asap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new kindlefix natural 1.gif
Views:	763
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	25363   Click image for larger version

Name:	new kindlefix natural 2.gif
Views:	886
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	25364  
Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Is there actually anyone left on earth still generating DRM'd Mobipocket content for a Kindle PID other than Amazon?

And has any site ever supported a 40 character Mobipocket PID to make a DRM'd book you can deliver to the Kindle application running on an iPhone? Heck is there even a supported method of delivering such a mythical book to the Kindle app running on an iPhone?

Oh I get it now! You need the PID to crack the .azw files from Amazon and convert them to some other platform! It's now a DMCA circumvention tool due to having no legitimate usage anymore. You know, like back when you could enter the generated Kindle PID into fictionwise.com and get a nice legal DRM'd file that worked on your Kindle after fixing a header bit.

I didn't realize Mobileread hosted direct links to DMCA circumvention tools these days.

@igor The figleaf on this pair of tools is pretty much gone dude. Exploring is one thing, helping people get their wife as a screen saver is wonderful but helping rip down the DRM won't set the content free. They'll just pick up their marbles and stick to selling sequestered carbon sheets like they've done for centuries. This isn't the music business: no one needs an electronic device to read a book. They can very easily and simply quit licensing content for electronic distribution and there won't be even a ripple in their profits. With power comes the responsibility to use it wisely.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
Is there actually anyone left on earth still generating DRM'd Mobipocket content for a Kindle PID other than Amazon?
Yes, anyplace that uses Over Drive as a distributor (Books On Board for some of their books, public libraries) instead of using Mobipocket as a distro.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:

And has any site ever supported a 40 character Mobipocket PID to make a DRM'd book you can deliver to the Kindle application running on an iPhone? Heck is there even a supported method of delivering such a mythical book to the Kindle app running on an iPhone?

Oh I get it now! You need the PID to crack the .azw files from Amazon and convert them to some other platform! It's now a DMCA circumvention tool due to having no legitimate usage anymore. You know, like back when you could enter the generated Kindle PID into fictionwise.com and get a nice legal DRM'd file that worked on your Kindle after fixing a header bit.

I didn't realize Mobileread hosted direct links to DMCA circumvention tools these days.

@igor The figleaf on this pair of tools is pretty much gone dude. Exploring is one thing, helping people get their wife as a screen saver is wonderful but helping rip down the DRM won't set the content free. They'll just pick up their marbles and stick to selling sequestered carbon sheets like they've done for centuries. This isn't the music business: no one needs an electronic device to read a book. They can very easily and simply quit licensing content for electronic distribution and there won't be even a ripple in their profits. With power comes the responsibility to use it wisely.
Maybe you should read the Visual Kindle Guide to see how the scripts are used. Sure people use them beyond what they're meant for but those who don't DeDRM shouldn't be prevented from using the tools.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Scotty, forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your post, BUT, Kindlefix does NOT crack drm. It simply allows the books to be read on the Kindle

The books are able to be loaded on the Kindle, true, but they expire after the loan out period, just as they do on your computer.

No harm, no foul.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
KindleFIX works as well. I've been changing the Visual Guide to include the updates. Will try to finish asap.
You should at least put some editorial content about the copyrighted work up when you're excerpting pages out of it like that. Otherwise you're just giving out free samples with out permission. Not the whole book of course but the copyright holder could still take issue since you aren't quoting from the work for legitimate and authorized purposes such as commenting upon the work or satirizing it.

Amazon caused quite a ruckus with their "look inside" feature and only got to keep it because they were using it to actively sell the books rather than pirate them.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hi scotty, nice of you to drop by.
I'm not especially worried if someone does use my script to get PID for decrypting their legally obtained books (heck, I do it myself). If you like giving up your freedoms, be my guest, but please don't decide for others.
That said, I don't know what is the mythical "40 character PID" you're talking about, but I hear that many library sites do accept Kindle PIDs. And the scripts linked here don't do the actual decryption anyway, so I'm not sure what the four-letter word has to do with it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
You should at least put some editorial content about the copyrighted work up when you're excerpting pages out of it like that. Otherwise you're just giving out free samples with out permission. Not the whole book of course but the copyright holder could still take issue since you aren't quoting from the work for legitimate and authorized purposes such as commenting upon the work or satirizing it.

Amazon caused quite a ruckus with their "look inside" feature and only got to keep it because they were using it to actively sell the books rather than pirate them.
You sure are dramatic (I work film biz and you're right up there).

There is no selling of anything involved. The book used is a free book from BooksonBoard in their "test this book" area. I don't think it's even the whole book and a link to it on BooksonBoard is given. Free advertising for BooksonBoard and Abby Gains.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #12
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Scotty, forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your post, BUT, Kindlefix does NOT crack drm. It simply allows the books to be read on the Kindle

The books are able to be loaded on the Kindle, true, but they expire after the loan out period, just as they do on your computer.

No harm, no foul.
The problem isn't KindleFIX (or last time I checked it wasn't, lord knows what else it does now too) but rather the PID generator. There is no supported means of getting the PID for a Kindle or for the Kindle app on the iPhone. Amazon's DRM scheme for the Kindle eco-system does not want or need for you to know the PID used to secure your books. By making the PID secret Amazon bolstered the security of the existing Mobipocket DRM scheme. Because once you have the PID used to encode your books, there is a tool that can decode all the ebooks you've purchased from Amazon with that PID.

Any tool whose sole purpose is to facilitate circumvention of a digital copyright protection scheme is illegal under the DMCA. Other than cracking I know of no other legitimate reason for the PID generator to exist. I patiently await someone to prove me wrong. I'd hate to think Igor has gone over to the dark side.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
The problem isn't KindleFIX (or last time I checked it wasn't, lord knows what else it does now too) but rather the PID generator. There is no supported means of getting the PID for a Kindle or for the Kindle app on the iPhone. Amazon's DRM scheme for the Kindle eco-system does not want or need for you to know the PID used to secure your books. By making the PID secret Amazon bolstered the security of the existing Mobipocket DRM scheme. Because once you have the PID used to encode your books, there is a tool that can decode all the ebooks you've purchased from Amazon with that PID.

Any tool whose sole purpose is to facilitate circumvention of a digital copyright protection scheme is illegal under the DMCA. Other than cracking I know of no other legitimate reason for the PID generator to exist. I patiently await someone to prove me wrong. I'd hate to think Igor has gone over to the dark side.
Are you an attorney?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Hi scotty, nice of you to drop by.
I'm not especially worried if someone does use my script to get PID for decrypting their legally obtained books (heck, I do it myself). If you like giving up your freedoms, be my guest, but please don't decide for others.
That said, I don't know what is the mythical "40 character PID" you're talking about, but I hear that many library sites do accept Kindle PIDs. And the scripts linked here don't do the actual decryption anyway, so I'm not sure what the four-letter word has to do with it.
Right. You know as well as I do that Amazon consideres the PID a "secret key" and they've been going out of their way to shutdown licensees from accepting Kindle keys e.g. Fictionwise et al. I'd be as happy as the next guy if it weren't so but Amazon has to do what the publishers demand.

All I can do is point out to the horse where the cliff is, it's up to the horse to not jump off it.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #15
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You sure are dramatic (I work film biz and you're right up there).

There is no selling of anything involved. The book used is a free book from BooksonBoard in their "test this book" area. I don't think it's even the whole book and a link to it on BooksonBoard is given. Free advertising for BooksonBoard and Abby Gains.
A "test book" with DRM'd PID for a Kindle? The only Mobipocket DRM'd books I'm aware of are copyrighted works: hence the DRM.

And its only "free advertising" if you mention them? Which you didn't. *doh*!