Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
SunTroll
SunTroll began at the beginning.

Device: none
Desktop app + region questions

I need to ask 2 things.

1st. Can you use desktop app without having any ereader? (I will be reading it on pc anyway so I don't see any reason why to buy ereader unless I absolutely must.)
(Also I'm running windows 7 if that matters.)

2nd. The prices in my region on some titles are ridiculous.
For example:
Konosuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!, Vol. 1 (light novel)
us: $7.99
Germany: €5,99
Other: $15.39
So my question is will shopping from different region using Paypal and not using VPN cause problems (since both the paypal and the IP will be from different region than I stated) or will it be fine?
(I did find this but it is pretty old so just want to make sure if it is still fine.)

(I get you can't probably give me 100% guarantee but there is a difference between "It is fine and there are no signs of it no being fine in the future." and "You will get banned (not sure if that is correct term but you get my point) and soon.".
SunTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I’ve found in the past with kobo that just changing the billing address was enough for them. That was a while ago though
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTroll View Post
I need to ask 2 things.

1st. Can you use desktop app without having any ereader? (I will be reading it on pc anyway so I don't see any reason why to buy ereader unless I absolutely must.)
(Also I'm running windows 7 if that matters.)
Yes you can use the desktop application without an ereader. But, about the only advantage of the Kobo desktop application is that it will download the purchased books for you. You can also download them from your library in the store and read them with other apps.
Quote:
2nd. The prices in my region on some titles are ridiculous.
For example:
Konosuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!, Vol. 1 (light novel)
us: $7.99
Germany: €5,99
Other: $15.39
So my question is will shopping from different region using Paypal and not using VPN cause problems (since both the paypal and the IP will be from different region than I stated) or will it be fine?
(I did find this but it is pretty old so just want to make sure if it is still fine.)

(I get you can't probably give me 100% guarantee but there is a difference between "It is fine and there are no signs of it no being fine in the future." and "You will get banned (not sure if that is correct term but you get my point) and soon.".
Kobo still uses the address to decide on which store to use. I haven't heard of anyone getting banned or whatever for doing this. But, there is no way to know if any of this will change in the future.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop app, questions, region